AD Patter$son Facing Heat

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Godz40acres, Jun 18, 2015.

1. marley

marley 500+ Posts

----------------

Email StevieP at either of these email addresses and tell him what you think of him:

PieceOfTotalShitProBasketballFacilitiesGuyWhoWasFiredByPortlandBecauseHeISSuchAPieceOfTotalShit@StevePattersonScumBag.com

or

Steve.Patterson@athletics.utexas.edu

Hint: one of those is his actual email address . . . .

He doesn't have a single friend in Austin -- not one, and he may not be there very long -- only until he collects that bonus that Powers guaranteed him if he gets UT to $200 million in annual revenue or some net profit margin that's as yet unspecified.

BTW, to understand his base motivation, all you need to understand is that he only cares about his bank account. Other people, even those who have supported UT athletics for 50 years, they mean absolutely nothing to this ************.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Patterson just doesn't do himself any favors. They ask him if he thinks he has alienated anybody and he says he doesn't know, perhaps?

The new President is meeting with you, with one of the major topics being just that, still you don't know if you have? Patterson could go a long way to helping his cause, by at least showing a little contrition.

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

For me, I don't quite understand the outrage with Patterson. He was obviously brought to Texas to do exactly what he's doing. There is a reason the university decided not to hire Luck and go with Patterson. In my opinion, an athelitic directors main job is to hire the right coaches to be successful. According to all the fans, he did that when he hired Coach Strong and Coach Smart. And let's just be honest, if the program was winning, alot of the people would not have a problem with him.

Patterson took over a program and athletic department that was mediocre when he showed up. So I think he should be cut a little slack. But I also understand, if Coach Strong doesn't start winning soon he nor Patterson will be at Texas. Because at the end of the day, that's what really matters is winning, so I don't really have a problem with him. Now, the only problem I might have with Patterson is if he decides to leave Nike and go to Under Armour. To me it's and easy decision, you stay with the premier company that 99% of the current men and women student athletes and potential recuits love. In my opinoin Under Armour is nothing more than high end Russell Athletics.

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

This keeps being said, but winning still doesn't make up for bad policies toward alumni, donors, and supporters. His job is also to make the environment a good one for all Longhorns, not drive them away. Why is this so hard to understand? If this is just a cold non caring corporation, then he is just great. This is why many Longhorns have a problem with him.

Winning and what he has done is apples and oranges. They are separate things. That would be true honesty from Bellmont. So if UT is winning then anything can be done, I don't accept that and expect more from my University. Again it's the University of Texas, not UT Inc.

President Fenves sees this and is not happy according to the article and he should be upset.

Powers was very involved in the hiring of Coach Strong, I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I get what you're saying, but we all know how the world works. Whatever Patterson is or isn't doing would not be viewed the same way if the football program was humming along like it was under Mack Brown for about a ten year period. Do you really believe that he would be getting called into the office if that was case, I doubt it.

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I am very aware of how the world works.

I also see two head coaches in Strong and Smart that promote high morals, strong work ethics, and morality.

I see an AD that will do just about anything to make a buck, no matter the consequences to a large portion of fellow Longhorns.

I see a very obvious disconnect there. I would very much like to think that a UT President would be calling Patterson in, no matter the team's record.

I will type this till my fingers will no longer function, it's the University of Texas, not UT Incorporated. What happened to all the Texas family values? So they are just empty slogans, with no merit?

I guess Coach Strong and Smart, should change to cheating, lying, whatever it takes to win. We don't care, all that matters is the bottom line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I respect your point of view, but I will just repeat what I posted early. If Coach Strong doesn't win, Patterson won't be at Texas. If Coach Strong wins, Patterson will be the athletic director as long as he wants. This is big business, these universities including Texas sold their souls a long time ago once they found out there was a lot of money to be had in collegiate athletics. Don't believe me, look at how all these universities lower their academic standards so the money making players in football and basketball could get in. Look at the easy classes that they are put in, not to get an education but to stay eligible.

And why do these universities including Texas do it, because of the money and the millions of dollars of free advertisement these universities get when the football or basketball program is winning. Look at the enrollment numbers before a school wins a national championship in football or basketball and after. You see huge jumps in enrollment, which equals money.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It has been UT Incorporated since the arrival of Mack Brown, but to be a top level program you have to exploit all revenue areas. It is not the best of situations for everyone, but the alternative is not being competitive due to lack of funds to properly fund and mange a top program. Patterson has zero personality which isn't helping, but way to early to be on his case like some are.

Right now the killer is the Drum replacement project. It will be expensive and, unless Texas can trade some land for land adjacent to the campus the land cost alone will probably be greater the total cost of the Drum. Is it Patterson's fault that there is no land for the replacement and he has to raise double the funds?

We went through all of this on a smaller scale when Dodds was hired. However Brown fell into Dodds' lap (Dodds wanted to hire Barnett) and things were better from then on.

10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

You defeat your own point. The only reason Texas is losing money is because of the cycle of mediocre results on the field, court, etc. Winning cures everything. Ticket sales increase, fan interest elevates, etc. And in turn revenues climb.

It doesn't take a cut-throat AD to begin turning a big profit once winning returns. But it does take quality fan relations and mutual respect. Ultimately, the success of his job is tied to elevating the results of the athletics teams and keeping fans connected to the team.

However, when attendance is already down and results are scarce, you don't come in and excessively squeeze more juice from the already thinning orange crop. It's putting the cart before the horse. In any facet of life consumers will be pissed if you demand much more money while products remain poor quality. 6-7 is poor quality and far below UT standards. Promises of improvement are nothing but words.

You can disagree all you want, but the fact is coaches, faculty, students, and 1,000's of loyal donors feel grossly disrespected by SP's harsh new policies at a time of continued athletics failure. Raising costs without proven product improvement is one thing, but Texas has never charged for parking and banned resell.

So it boils down to many loyal donors paying much more (25%+) for a struggling product, paying for once included perks, and losing money through inability to recoup ticket costs for a game you can't make. All when your team is admittedly a failure...which CS called last season. And that just scratches the surface. Nevermind charging coaches for the cafeteria, charging alums to be on the field, requiring teams to bus when other programs fly, and a litany of other complaints.

It all combines into a huge problem regardless of who wants to downplay it. The President apparently has been forced to take notice, which further proves there really is fire where the smoke is coming from.

Whether some agree or not, there is a huge disconnect stemming directly from SP. Feel free to watch what happens to ticket renewals in 2016 if Texas loses 6 games and SP's harsh policies continue. The fallout that has occurred now is just the initial, knee-jerk response. Many more loyal donors are sitting on the fence in a holding pattern to see if UT will straighten this out and not force us to take action.

• Like Like x 5
  11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Again, ticket sales are going to be down if they don't win anyway. Like I said in an early post, Patterson was brought here to do what he's doing. In my opinion the president meeting with him is just pr. Why did the board of reagents go in a different direction by not hiring Luck, because they wanted Patterson to do exactly what he's doing. If the football team wins 10 games this year, come next year a lot of this won't even be a discussion. If the team goes 7-6 that drum beat will get louder. I totally agree with ViperHorn, the thing that hurts Patterson is that he has no personality. A lot of people compare him to Dave Brandon of Michigan, but the reason he got fired by them wasn't because of what he was doing, it was because they weren't winning. If Michigan was winning he would still be the AD.

12. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Patterson has a history of bad actions throughout his career. Why did he need to hire 40 cronies to add to the bloated budget at Bellmont?

When these policies actually go in effect and people experience them first hand this football season, the complaints will increase.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Or we could have the greatest season in Texas history. Might as well throw that out there while we are speculating.

• Like Like x 1
  14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Season Tickets purchased will increase next year regardless of this years record. ND is coming to town and their fans will buy season tickets, for one season, sell all the other games and go to the ND game.

15. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

So all the off the field policies that Patterson has implemented will make for a great Texas football season?

I see nobody saying that, all I see are posts saying that winning will make people forget what these policies will bring.

16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

So, to distill to its most basic element, it is YOUR contention that $P was brought in to destroy game-day atmosphere in every sport that had tailgating going on and to alienate the loyal fanbase...have I got that right? Because if so, then (and ONLY then) are you correct that he is doing what he was brought in to do...

17. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

No, Pattersons main and most important job was to hire the right coaches for football and basketball, by all accounts he's done that. The second most important thing was to make the athletic department as self sufficient as possible. He's not destroying the game day atmosphere, the losing is destroying the game day atmosphere. All the other stuff in my opinion is just petty in the grand scheme of things. Just like me being mad at Patterson if he decides to leave Nike and go to an inferior brand in my opinion which Under Armour.

18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I guess you missed his brilliant ideas that are screwing up tailgating for both football and baseball...or is that not taking steps that have the very real effect of destroying game-day atmosphere in your book?

19. Wideawake

Wideawake 100+ Posts

The Austin American Statesman posted a 5 page report from UT covering some of the criticism.

20. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I just think the guy really has faith in the coaches that he has hired to get football and basketball back in the right direction. He knows once the wins start rolling in so will the people, so he isn't to concerned with the people who choose to back out now, because he feels in the long run it will be their loss. Only time will tell if he is right or wrong, but the question is does he have time on his side?

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

40 percent of parking permits at FB games were unused? Just under 4000 of 10,000 spots unused? wonder where all those people parked? Or did they not come to the games? Of course, they did pay their LHF fees, so does it matter if they did not use their parking spot?

Of course, if it was decided in 2013 that there would be a fee for parking starting in 2015, did I miss the release about that? Or was that just a oversight on UT's part to not bother informing their fans about that and just spring it out of the blue? Poor PR if they had made the decision two years ago to start charging for parking.

22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

23. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

As I've said before, in my opinion all of this is nothing more than pr, just win baby.

24. stevie_p

stevie_p 25+ Posts

Thanks Dad

• Like Like x 1
  25. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

No problem son, and if you need me to put in a good word for your next job, just give me a call.

26. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

No this isn't just pr, the President meeting multiple times shows it's more than just pr. It's about people being genuinely angry about things that matter. The President recognizes this and responds and now a third meeting is scheduled.

Contrary to what you say this isn't the Oakland Raiders. It never will be. Since you insist though, then here is something for you to ponder.

When people ask you about the game atmosphere and how it has been greatly diminished, you never address it. You just refer to it as petty and unimportant, well maybe it's unimportant to you, but it means a lot to others. All you talk about is winning and coach hires. Do you have any real interest in what goes on before and after games at all? It sure doesn't seem you do, that would explain a lot.

Patterson had little to do with hiring coach Strong. Those Regents you spoke of had a running battle with President Powers for a long time, they wanted him gone. They couldn't get it done though and settled for a compromise where Powers would leave after a year.

Then the matter of hiring an AD arrived, one of the big points mentioned for hiring Patterson was that Luck didn't want to get rid of Brown. So Patterson was often called a "hatchet man," he would have no problem doing that. This is what the Regents wanted.

Guess what, Patterson didn't do it. So the Regents are highly pissed, they can't really do anything to their man Patterson, that they just hired, it would make them look bad. So they call in Powers and tell him to either get rid of Brown or they will terminate their deal to let him stick around another year.

So Brown has taken off for Florida and Powers has to call him back and let him go. Powers wants a new coach in as soon as possible. The leader, despite all the hoopla over this coach and that was Strong. Powers interviews him and only him and lets it be known, he will be the next coach. That is exactly what happened and Strong accepted a deal that made him way more money and let him live in Austin too. This was expected and it wouldn't have mattered who the AD was.

Smart was also one of the leading candidates and let it be known, he was more than willing to come to Texas and make way more money than he ever has. It was a step up the ladder for him. Hardly a big negotiations coup for Patterson. You think Luck couldn't have gotten this deal done or any other AD.

If it's all about winning, then there will be no great uprising if Patterson is given a pink slip. The coaches are already in place and if they win, nobody could care less if Patterson was let go for his bad policies. If they fail, they will all be let go. Remember just win baby, there is no regard for Patterson or anybody else for that matter, because winning cures all ills.

27. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

If you want to say that Patterson didn't have anything to do with hiring Coach Strong, then stop blaming him for all the horse crap that Dodds left for Patterson to clean up. I've heard numerous donors from around the state talk about how even though Dodds was at Texas as long as he was, they had never even met him or had a conversation with him. Those same donors talked about meeting Patterson and having breif conversations with him and they respected that. I talked about the so called issues with the gameday atmosphere, and like I said, in my opinion the only problem with it, is all the losing that's occurred the last 5 or 6 years. In my opinion a lot of the so called anger is do to the mediocrity that's permeated through the football program and athletic department the last 5 to 6 years.

The majority of the mediocrity began under Dodds and Mack Brown. I sure do wish a lot those people that are mad now, would have been this angry when the ship was obviously sinking when Dodds and Mack Brown where there. Maybe the program and the athletic department wouldn't be in the shape that it's in. The great thing about being an adult is that you can do whatever you want to do. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you donate money or buy tickets. If you don't like what's going on don't donate or buy, that's what I think of the situation, we can agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  28. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

So now this is no longer a valid statement. It's about Dodds and Brown and what poor Stevie had to clean up. He had to do this by taking money away from the band and student athletes, but was able to hire 40 of his cronies at Bellmont. UT's athletic department has way more employees than any other major program, but Patterson needed 40 more.

You still just won't admit that Patterson has diminished the activities prior to and after games. Losing didn't cause these policies, Patterson put them in place. Now the new President is having multiple meetings with him about this and his policies.

The great thing about being an adult and alum of the University of Texas is that we can raise our voices in dissent to these policies. We do this to try and have these policies changed or Patterson removed. Having Fenves on the case is a good start. This is what we want. You seem to have a real problem with this.

These policies started with Patterson, not Dodds or anybody else.

29. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

There really isn't anything to admit. I've continued to say that the majority of people who have a problem with it wouldn't, if the program was winning. And to be honest, most of the complaints would be ignored just like most things are that may be problems or issues at football programs, when the team is winning.

30. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

If it had been up to Powers and Patterson, Brown would still be the head coach. They were suppose to let him go and didn't. The Regents had to force them to let Brown go.

Again there seems to be some large flaws in your statements.

You say a lot of things, then change the subject.

I'm sorry you missed a rather long and ongoing discussion on this forum about Brown and Dodds. It will come as a great shock to many that nobody was upset with what was going on the last few years, before Patterson arrived. I recall those threads very vividly.

They are gone now and these policies that have people upset in the present, are on him and nobody else.