Add Arkansas to coaching carousel

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SabreHorn, Nov 15, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Arkansas fired AD Jeff Long, meaning the obnoxious cheeseball doughboy won't be far behind.

Will Malzahn go back home?

• Like Like x 4
  2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

That's perfect! Bert Bulimia to dead dog field! Aggy gets lucky with their dream hire!

3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I guess beating a 6-7 team in a bowl really was the only orgasmic experience he had there. Or was it just taking the knee at the yard line?

Hog Hats. And butt cracks. Nowhere else but Arkansas.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Florida, Tennessee, Arky, and probably aggy. Tough year in the sec, sec, sec.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ole Miss, plus add in Tech, Nebraska & UCLA on the national stage,

:hookem2:

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

To put it another way:

Gainesville, FL
    Knoxville, TN
    Fayetteville, AR
    Collie Station
    Oxford, MS
    Lincoln, NE
    Los Angeles, CA

Los Angeles has a beach so that is the only positive in that grouping.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

How did this happen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

$4 million a year buys nice friends and benefits?

:deadhorse:

• Like Like x 5
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Wife, cousin or half sister?
    All of the above? :puke:

• Like Like x 5
  10. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

That's interesting.

I think that's possible. Don't know what they would owe the head hog but there are some pretty rich people in Arky that could make it happen.

Get the right coach in there and Arky could be relevant again.

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The next 60 days are going to be very entertaining.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

His contract is very interesting. There are reports that they would owe him $15+ million, but that is not accurate. Most interesting is that if he is fired in December, he will be owed about $5 million more than if he is fired in January. They could get off with a monthly payout of just over $120,000 until he is paid just over $5 million. His assistants will be owed an additional $2 million.

EAT MORE CHICKEN!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

My guess is Gussy goes to Hogville. Finebaum indicated today that may be the case (which may jinx it). I think the call to come home would be tough to turn down if the money was fair

The opening I can't figure is Florida. Top ten HC job, you'd think they'd have a name signed sealed and delivered, yet names are all over the place in regards to the opening. Reminds me of us, 2013.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

That would be the first time they're relevant in football since they left the SWC in the early 90s? Arky's long slump since leaving the SWC is more than 25 years now.

The year they decided to depart the SWC, I was paired up on a golf course with two Razorbacks. I could see they were hogs by their Razorback golf club covers. Boy were they pompous, maybe even more pompous than aggy when they jumped ship. They were getting out of the s---hole SWC and going to the big leagues. I wonder if those two hillbillies have had second thoughts by now?

• Like Like x 2
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Hogs left the SWC for two reasons - (1) much needed cash; (2) they couldn't beat Texas on a consistent basis.

Things are much different in XNA than they were in the 70s & 80s.

1) The new airport built by Johnny Tyson and the Waltons has multiple nonstops daily to LAX, SFO, Denver, Chiciago, DFW, IAH, ATL, DC, NYC. It is a vast improvement over that pea patch in Southern Washington County.

2) The number of hotels has increased immensely, as has the number of restaurants.

3) The toll road out of Tulsa ($2.85 for 28 miles) lets you save on airfare by flying into Tulsa and flying "Hertz" to XNA. Last trip, I think I passed three cars in 28 miles.

The old days of driving to Texarkana, dodging insults to Fort Smith, then through in mountains to Fayetteville are over. Many merchants took a huge hit losing the the parade of Texas cars. Look at the Hogs visitors attendance. Nobody from the SEC least is going to XNA, neither is anyone from Auburn, Bama, Miss A&M. LSU doesn't count because those coonasses will travel to the moon to watch the Bayou Bengals. Hell, the Aggies won't even travel to Dallas to play them. For merchants, a move to the Big XII could be a boom. Once some of the fans discover Beaver Lake, not to mention Grand Lake of the Cherokees, real estate agents could have a field day.

• Like Like x 2
  16. yelladawgdem

In their last 25 years in the SWC, they won titles in 1988 and 1989, when it was basically a high school conference. Relevant is relevant.

My brother was a 1970 grad of Arkansas and he said at the time "We will go to a hell of a lot more Cotton Bowls as a member of the SEC than we ever did in the SWC".

And Sabre is correct, the Fayetteville of today is a decent little college town. When he was being recruited, it looked more like an abandoned WPA project.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This is a very accurate description of what FayetteNam looked like in the old days....

• Like Like x 3
  18. WorsterMan

I was pleased to see little piggy leave the SWC and don't ever want them back in the same conference as the Horns.... if I had a gun to my head I'd take aggy back before I'd let the hawgs back in the conference.

19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Guess they aren’t “sec good”

20. yelladawgdem

But they had 2 radio stations. KHOG and KFAY. The last time I went to a game there, KHOG was still going strong.

21. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Never bring Arkansas into a conference where we have to play them in Ark. Not about the facilities, they have the worst fans in college football.
    I know it has been some time since we played every year, but there are those of us that remember trying to get from the stands to the restrooms having to dodge ice and whiskey bottles.
    It is strange, piggy people are normally nice people except on game day. Little Rock is much worse than Fayetteville.

22. WorsterMan

AGREE!

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Those one branch family trees do turn out some strange examples.

• Like Like x 2
  24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like tOSU fans. Very nice except game day.

25. WorsterMan

I believe many arky & aggy fans HATE UT more than they love their own team...

• Like Like x 3
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Odds are out for piggy job
    I guess someone may think Jerry will be looking for a new job soon

[​IMG]

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

Where did you get that list? The entire Tyson family has to die, as well as every other D-1 and decent HS HC for Lane Kiffin to get consideration regardless of how much he promises Ronnie he'll put in the plate every week.

I like Mike Leach and would love to see him get that gig, but Washington County is in the middle of The Bible Belt. Hiring a Mormon would cost the school 95% or more of their donations.

28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Les Miles seems like the guy to me...

Now my story about Arlie fans. It was 2004 as I recall. I flew in from CA solo to see Vince and the game, and bought a very good single ticket. It was a great game and frankly the people around me were really nice, or so I thought.

Got back to the hotel and took off my shorts, only to discover a big wad of chewing gum on the back side. Obviously someone put it in my seat when I wasn't looking.

:rolleyes1:

But heck, that was a small price to pay for a win.

29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Gus should be their guy to me. Auburn has been trying to fire Gus for it seems ever since he got there. He is a legend in Arkie already. He may jump for the stability and the love, and of course mo money.

• Like Like x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Malzahn is the guy. Like I said before, Kristi and Gus are members of The Cross/Pinnacle Church/First Baptist Springdale, and Kristi has been a pulpit guest with Ronnie on multiple occasions.

Johnny Tyson has tried to make The Pinnacle into the Arkansas version of "The Country Club", which has lost some of its luster leaving an opening for Tyson to have the premier club in the SEC. I do not believe that Tyson ever offered to sell Bielema a lot in The Pennacle, but I promise you that he will offer the Malzahns one.