Admissions scandal

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Joe Fan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Hollywood actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman were among dozens of people charged in a sweeping college admissions bribery case, according to reports Tuesday.

Those charged allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Georgetown University, Yale University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, University of Southern California, Wake Forest, and University of Texas, prosecutors said.

The students were admitted as athletes, regardless of their ability....."

Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman charged in large-scale admissions bribery case

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, i had to laugh at the integrity in admissions claim when more qualified students are passed over for less qualified who fit some other objective .
    OTOH no one should buy his kid's way in either. Fire that coach.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Center received a $60,000 cash payment "in a hotel parking lot"

6. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

Probably one of many-

Former Pennsylvania basketball coach Jerome Allen testified to taking around $300,000 in wire transfer bribes from a Florida businessman in exchange for getting the man's son into the university with a priority basketball slot.

7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

It's bad enough that historically bribes have been paid, mostly to the athletes, not the coaches, to get the star athletes to come to a school --- at least the school was trying to get the best contributor to their program they could, even if breaking the rules (NCAA), if not the law (federal/state), to do so.

The cases of the subject of this thread are about parents who have children who are neither intelligent enough, athletic enough, or don't work hard enough to make the grade or perform athletically enough.

I don't know which is worse; both should be flushed out of the system as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

How dumb do you have to be to think you will get away with this?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From reading a couple of articles, it appears no parent had to bribe anyone to get their kid admitted into aggy

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Big deal?

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Depends who wrote and solicited the checks.

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

See Austin American Statesman: Texas tennis coach Michael Center among coaches charged in sweeping college admissions scheme | Hookem.com

“Federal authorities notified us this morning that we were victims of an organized criminal effort involving admissions,” the university said in a statement. School sources indicated they were blindsided by the news Tuesday morning, but Center was placed on administrative leave almost immediately.

“We are cooperating fully with the investigation,” UT’s statement said. “Integrity in admissions is vital to the academic and ethical standards of our university.”

16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

As developing appears that this is not an institutional issue --- a sham charity was set up by some scam artist who then solicited loaded parents, e.g. film and tv stars, who had children who couldn't get into the schools they wanted, e.g., some ivies, UT, etc..

The scam artist would then bribe coaches at the target schools to lie to their respective admissions office to indicate they were to be accepted as athletes on their teams.

No mention yet that anyone at any of the admissions offices were involved; the coaches, apparently, yes. So may not be an institutional issue beyond a charge of "lack of institutional control" or the like, but not an organized effort of a university.

As a Texas Ex I hope that's the extent of it, the coach(es) are investigated, fired if appropriate, and then the school assists the FBI and others in clearing this up.

If anyone knows more, please correct my understanding of this.

P.S., just heard most recent on the radio, includes Wake Forest, UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown, Yale, USC, Texas, ... getting to where the US Attorney's court charge should be: "...allegations against individual coaches at all NCAA member schools except for the following ...."

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

18. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I sounds like we were victims more than anything but I read a tennis coach has been implicated and put on administrative leave.

Hope he liked the extra cheddar and was looking for a new career anyway. Because of true he just threw his career away. Stupid.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I believe this was under the reign of Steve Patterson, so .....

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Apparently someone bribed their way into The University of Texas at Austin. No mention of aggy. I smell a boycott coming.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

There are multiple threads on this topic. I am going to merge them into the earliest one.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Very telling she starred in a show called "Desperate Housewives".

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

To the extent of those two, he's right.

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The true face of white privilege; the vapid entity that is the rich child of a movie star:

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's almost like that school should have paid her to attend

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Is there a more empty reputation than that of being an influencer? I guess it would possibly be Instagram Model.

• Like Like x 2
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Believe me it is not easy, people treating you like a hot dish of love meat all the time, I had to quit

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1