Advanced camp June 10 & 11

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 4.03.47 PM.png Interesting comment from Arial which I believe is about the Advanced Camp coming up this weekend June 10 & 11. Many of the high profile attendees will have or are hoping to have an offer from Texas. Could see some future stars on the floor plus many of the current team members will be on site to help with the camp. I plan to be there on Saturday morning in Cooley Pavilion.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Things just got interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Oh My Gosh! Ariel was correct, this camp roster is AMAZING. If this doesn't put every school in the NCAA on notice as to what Texas WBB is doing nothing will! This is a roster of some of the best recruits in the 2018, 2019 & 2020 classes in the Nation and most have Texas offers. There can not be enough said about what Coach Aston and her staff are doing to build this program into a perennial national champion!
    A little surprised Shae Routt is not on the list. She may not be released yet to participate from her MCL surgery. And she could still be at the camp but not on the list?
    A couple of surprises to me are Christyn Williams who had dropped us off her top 4 list some time back. It appears she has a very serious interest now. There is some fantastic recruiting going on. And the other is Lauren Davenport who recently opened up her recruiting after being a long time Texas commit???
    The camp is being held at Gregory Gym. Should be some amazing scrimmages plus most of the current Texas players will be present! Wow!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, pretty sure that list is not all inclusive. Perhaps just the ones who Prentice Beverly knows will be attending.

Getting Christyn Williams to attend the camp is huge. Yes, she had dropped us from her list of 7 finalists. But, recently she added us back. This will be her first visit to our campus.

Madison Williams' recruitment has been kept very quiet and away from social media. Had never seen any list of schools she was considering. Glad she's attending our camp. She may have attended one of our home football games last Fall, but not positive.

Queen Egbo is one of my favorites for the 2018 class. She is natural rebounder on both ends, and I think that would be a good skill to add to our roster. Obviously, she has other skills like shot-blocking; but, I am always in awe of her rebounding stats. This might be her first visit to our campus, as well. She attended Baylor's camp in 2016.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I would be shocked if Shae isn't there even if she can't participate. Lolo never said she wasn't considering UT anymore so I guess her attendance shouldn't be a surprise but I, for one, assumed her decommitment meant Texas was probably out of it. Getting Christyn back on the 40 Acres so soon after she added UT back to her list of finalists is a very positive development. The 2 biggest eyebrow raisers for me are Myra Gordon and Madison Williams - Gordon for obvious reasons and because things seemed so quiet with Williams. A great camp roster to be sure.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Players I was unfamiliar with:

Audrey Warren -- 5'9 Wing out of Springfield, MO; ranked #88 nationally by ProspectNation

Corina Carter -- 5'5 PG out of Converse Judson; ranked #91 nationally by ProspectNation

Lola Mullaney -- 5'10 SG/SG out of Manasquan, NJ

Fatou Samb -- 6'4 Post out of Houston Westside; plays for CyFair Premier club, I think

Hannah Gusters -- 6'4 Post out of Duncanville

• Like Like x 4
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Same here except for Gusters who started getting noticed this spring and began racking up some offers in early May.

Eval from the Iron Sharpens Iron camp in April:
    Hannah Gusters ’20 Post 6’4- Of course she has good size and length but she continues to improve down in the post area. Nice jump hook, can step out to shoot it. On the boards, runs the floor well, good hands, needs to continue to get stronger. Still young with so much potential, she can be a problem.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

My goodness, so many great name. Besides the ones you all have mentioned, I like seeing Taylor Jones, Jordan Merritt, London Clarkson, Dyona Gaston, Sarah Andrews, Joanne Allen-Taylor...well, I guess everyone I've read stuff about.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2019 Taylor Jones' aggy dad struggles with the burnt orange...:ut:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

He tweeted the same thing when she attended one or two of our football games last Fall. I think she really likes us; but, that's not to say she doesn't like A&M or others as well (haven't paid attention to which other schools/camps she's attended).

• Like Like x 2
  12. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

She also attended the Baylor camp last year. To me she and other post players like Queen Egbo being at the camp is important because Texas needs to add another post player whether it's in 2018 or 2019.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Coach Aston brought in an additional big gun, Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, this weekend.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps this counts as confirmation that Christyn Williams did make it to the camp . . .

• Like Like x 5
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. WestTexasBBall

WestTexasBBall First Time Poster

It was loaded up and down from 8th-12th grade. UT staff knows how to treat the kids and to keep them interested.

Audrey Warren, really stepped it up in the all star and showed out.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, were you able to attend? Any observations to share?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Moooooo I did attend. I was there all of Saturday afternoon. I believe that most everyone was there that Prentice Beverly had on his list. With the help of one of the Mom's I was able to identify almost everyone. There were definitely some standouts in the camp.
    We are so lucky to have Sedona Prince committed. She is going to be a super player.
    It is hard to believe Deja Kelly was just a freshman last year. One of the best guards there. Christyn Williams was there watching but did not participate from what I was told due to her commitment to the USA team. I saw Coach Aston spending some time talking to her. The other girls that really stood out to me were: Lauren Davenport, Queen Egbo, Taylor Jones, Jordyn Merritt, Madison Williams, Audrey Warren and Hannah Guster. The girls were all in several different groups during the evening, and there were a lot of kids there, so I didn't get to focus on each or all the players as I would have liked.

Lolo Davenport was a monster in winning the 1 on 1 competition. She has some attitude! I had not seen her play before but I sure saw what Texas sees in her. Hope she reaffirms her commitment to us. Queen Egbo is long and can sky! I like her a lot and she made the final group of the 1 on 1 contest, she has a sweet 10-15' jump shot, but the quicker girls just wore her out. Madison Williams is a really physical player and strong. She went after her missed shots with a lot of attitude. Was surprised she did not make the final group of the 1 on 1 contest. Audrey Warren was probably the best 3 point shooter I saw on the day. Taylor Jones was another big standout for me. She is long and has very good shooting skills. Great step thru move I saw her use several times and Blocked a lot of shots. I could see why she is a top priority in the 2019 recruiting cycle. I saw Coach Aston talking to her dad for some time. Jordyn Merritt is a 2020 but she held her own with the older players. She is going to be great! Hannah Guster from Duncanville is a solid 6'5" but she needs to get a little stronger but has tremendous potential. I wanted to see DeYona Gaston and London Clarkson and was disappointed I never got them identified. There were a lot of good players at the camp and they were spread over two gyms.

This was only the exceptional players that were in attendance and stood out. There were many "very good" players there. Coach Aston and her staff had to be very happy with who they had in attendance.

• Like Like x 5
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for the report.

Lolo obviously had a great showing winning that award. Time will tell how her recruitment plays out.

Haven't seen any type of confirmation that Shae Routt was in attendance. Doesn't mean she wasn't there, though.

Recent photos suggest that most our current players were in attendance working the camp; have not seen any photos which suggest that Tasia Foman participated; perhaps her status is still up in the air.

22. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I forgot to mention that Shae Routt was not present at the camp. I was told she had a practice scheduled with her club team coached by Clarissa Davis.
    Tasha was not with the team. All the other players were there, including the three freshmen, except for Joyner Holmes. Not sure where she was??

• Like Like x 1
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Ellis21D, I've been looking forward to your report, since you said you were going to go. Very happy to hear your positive impressions. Lolo sounds impressive. Well, they all do. I really liked some tape I saw on Taylor Jones. She looked quick for a player of her size. Glad Christyn Williams was there, though she couldn't play.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Question about the Advanced Camp. I assume the attendees in the camp have to pay their travel costs to Austin. Do they also pay for their food and lodging? Is there a fee they have to pay to attend the camp or is it by invite only?

25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Luther I believe the cost for the advanced camp was $225/player. That cost included food and board for one night in the athletic dorm. Each player has to pay for there own travel costs to the camp. It is not by invite only but there is maximum head count that can attend. There were probably 200 girls that attended. I'm sure Texas sent out invites to the 20 or 30 elite players they wanted to attend and held an open spot for them. But by NCAA rules they still had to pay there way.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  26. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Thanks Ellis21d for the info on camp costs. It will be interesting to see which recruits come to Austin for official visits during the Fall.

• Like Like x 1