Advanced Camp June 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Zaria Johnson is not a name we have discussed (in a long time) on the 2020 Recruiting thread:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hoping 2020 Kamaria Gipson of Beeville can make it to the camp:

• Like Like x 2
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

just realized parking might be at a premium Saturday during the Advanced camp.

Baseball Horns are hosting the Super Regional this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Braydin Russell (2023)
    Guthrie, OK

From a story in October 2016:
    It was a busy 12 days for Braydin Russell as she competed in a nation-wide event. In the end it was worth the work after making the most goals.

Russell, who attends St. Mary’s school in Guthrie, competed in the Shot Tracker Preseason 2K Challenge and was named Most Outstanding Player.

After it was all over, Russell shot 36,663 times to be crowned the victor. She made 71.5 percent of her shots with the ball falling through the hoop 24,074 times.

For her efforts, she won $200 pair of Nike shoes.

She is the daughter of Doug and Jennifer Russell of Guthrie.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

There's going to be a lot of traffic around Austin and the FEC due to the following events:

Baseball: 2 p.m. vs #20 Tennessee Tech @ UFCU Disch-Falk Field

Three area HS Graduations at FEC on Saturday.

23rd Republic of Texas Biker Rally kicked off Thursday at the Travis County Exposition Center in Northeast Austin and will end Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Maybe the hellish traffic campers experience this weekend will make the normal soul-crushing gridlock more bearable?

• Like Like x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. LutherIsMyDog

Always good to get Celeste on campus :bevo:

• Like Like x 6
  11. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 3
  12. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 7
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad to see Hannah Gusters and Sarah Andrews there.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2020 Kamaria Gipson did attend

• Like Like x 5
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know what other 2019 players were there other than Celeste.

16. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 6
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

What a day full of all the WBB one could want. Some pretty nice talent on display for 2019 and lots for the upcoming 2020+ years.

Among the campers were from 2019: Ashten Prechtel, Celeste Taylor, and Liz Scott. Among the 2020s were included Sarah Andrews, Kaia Herrera, Hannah Gusters, Kamaria Gipson, Keegan Sullivan and Deja Kelly. Recognizable 2021 players included Aaliyah Moore and Avery Van Zickle. The classes of 2022 and 2023 were also represented. There many others there aside from the ones mentioned above who were the more easily recognized due to photos posted here and elsewhere. There were quite a few that will ping on the Horns’ radar in the next few years. Avery Van Zickle is certainly one to keep an eye on. The 2021 PG from Colorado is one to keep an eye on as she continues to develop.

I know that Ashten Pechtel is down to Stanford, UCLA and us. I hope she comes down to Austin. Ashten is a very good player who can bang inside but is quite capable of hitting from BTA. She certainly fits how Coach Aston is using her posts. Loved watching her and Gusters go against each other. Gusters is quite physical and does her damage inside. Horns got a gem in Celeste Taylor. She demo’d it all: passing, dribbling, defense, rebounding, shooting (including from BTA) and a motor that doesn’t quit. It was great to watch her in person.

Horn fans are going to get a very pleasant surprise when they see Joyner on the court this coming season. The vets that were there looked very comfortable and very in shape. Destiny looked fully recovered from last season’s injury. The five frosh look awesome. I loved watching Sedona. She is loud and vocal and funny. All the Longhorns were engaged with the campers, loose and having fun but working hard to make sure the campers learned. I watched the team demonstrate several drills. Man, the team looks very quick, fast and in shape. Can’t wait for the season to start to actually see them in game conditions. For having been here for about a week, the frosh looked like they knew what they were doing when demoing the drills to the campers.

• Like Like x 9
  18. LutherIsMyDog

Very solid report Babhorn. Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed post.

• Like Like x 4
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Could you be more specific in talking about Joyner.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since Ashten already took her official visit to UCLA, I didn't think she'd be camping anywhere. I think it's huge that she came to our camp; of course, there's also a chance she camps elsewhere as camps are just getting started.

Nice surprise to see Liz Scott attend. Perhaps she is giving us more of a look than I had thought previously based on her social media.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  21. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 6
  22. LutherIsMyDog

2023 phenom Jada Williams

• Like Like x 6
  23. LutherIsMyDog

I can't speak for Babhorn but Joyner looked fit, fast and focused. I know one can't glean much from a practice or scrimmage but she certainly looks like she is taking bball seriously. She's such an amazing athlete. She's intimidating with her size and the way she can move down the court.

• Like Like x 6
  24. LutherIsMyDog

2020 recruit Laila Blair from Houston Wheatley

• Like Like x 6
  25. LutherIsMyDog

Jada Malone 2021 Forward from Houston.

• Like Like x 5
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Also take a look at the pic above with Braydin Russel. Joyner has put in a lot of work since the end of the season and it shows in her physique and her play.

• Like Like x 2
  27. LutherIsMyDog

Babhorn mentioned Avery Van Sickle in his recap of the camp. Impressive skill set and a high basketball IQ. She's only going to be a Sophomore.

• Like Like x 4
  28. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

2020 Fatou Samb out of Houston

• Like Like x 5
  29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the reports, Babhorn and LutherIsMyDog. So many kids I've never heard of. I love getting out of staters here --- Prechtel, Van Sickle, Bradin Russell, Jada Williams. Glad to see Sarah Andrews, Hannah Gusters, and Liz Scott here. Well, just everybody.

• Like Like x 4
  30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Good to hear. I know that a lot of people have talked about Joyner needing to improve offensively. But IMO she can have an even bigger impact without even touching the ball just by being more active.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018