Advice needed: Our dog bit another dog

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Smurfette, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

We need some advice. This morning, someone was walking their dog by our house. We have a wire fence, and their dog stuck it's mouth through. My big dog bit their dog, causing some damage- basically put a pretty big rip in their dog's lip.

The person is saying they don't have the money to take the dog to the vet, and we definately don't have the money to pay for it.

I have no idea what the pet laws are, and I can't find any information about it on the web, just dog on human bites. Logic tells me that the other person was neglectful in allowing their dog to, for all intensive purposes, "tresspass" on our property, and this isn't out fault.

But, my dog just bit another dog. We know she doesn't behave around other dogs. She was bitten as a puppy, and has been very aggressive ever since. We've approached trainers before, and were told it's rare to be able to train a dog out of a reaction caused by a traumatic event. So, we basically don't take her anywhere, ever let her off the leash, etc.

Anyway... anybody have any advice? I'm scared to death by dog's going to get dubbed a dangerous dog and taken away. She's actually very even keeled and sweet to people, she just has issues w/ other dogs.

I'm really distraut that this other dog is hurt. I'd offer to pay half of the bill just b/c I think it would be the right thing to do if we had the money, but we just don't... we're barely paying our mortgage as it is right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a tough one. If you had plenty of money, it might be nice to offer to take their dog to the vet, but I don't know that you are really liable to do so, since your dog was behind your fence. You could be nice about it and just tell them the truth, that you are struggling to make ends meet, and can't help with the vet expense, although you feel bad about what happened.
    Dogs are territorial on their own property, and it isn't good to stick your hand through a fence to pet them, and the same would go for another dog trying to stick its head through the fence.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You can always offer, but the bottom line is that a dog sticking its nose into another dog's yard is asking to get bit. It rarely happens, but it can, and it's up to their owner to prevent it.

Dogs act weird around fences sometimes, and you can't always predict it. It's so funny, there's a bunch of dogs at my complex that are perfectly friendly to my dog when he's in with them, but if he comes up to the gate to try and go in, they will rush the gate and start snarling and barking pretty viciously. Once we get in the gate, everyone's cool.

4. Gen. Applewhite

Gen. Applewhite 25+ Posts

the texas health and safety code defines what a dangerous dog is, and in doing so, specifically makes an exception for dogs that attack people or other animals while they are confined to an enclosure that is "reasonably certain to prevent the dog from leaving the enclosure on its own"

absent any other negligence on your part, i would think that you are in the clear legally.

that said, there is a certain amount of finesse that might be required to avoid a hassle from your neighbor, who might create a headache either by suing you or reporting your dog to the local animal control.

not that you wont be able to defend a claim if it were to be made, but it would certainly be a pain in the ***. if you can avoid that by going halfsies on a 200$ vet bill or whatever it may be, it is worth considering.

5. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"avoid a hassle from your neighbor"

Maintaining friendly neighbor relations aside, if they try to hassle you, threaten to file trespass charges. And, remember, your homeowners insurance should cover any damages and a defense if you're sued.

I just wouldn't advise informing your insurance company about this incident unless absolutely necessary.

6. taco

taco 250+ Posts

sounds like they trespassed on your propery and you weren't negligent with your dog.

I just read this on my hoa's website (not sure how true it is but this guy says this is what happened)
    A dog owner walking his dog on one of those 20' retractible leashes (not meeting the 6' ordinance) allowed his dog to walk onto someones yard. That home-owners dog ran out of the house and attacked the trespasser, and remained victorious. The dog walker called the police to report and complain about the attack. After hearing the story, the police quietly walked up to the home-owner and politely asked if he would like to press charges against the dog-walker! The home owner did not, but I witnessed two police officers and a Sergeant explain to the complainer how many laws he was breaking as they wrote his ticket and offered to arrest him if he is dissatisfied.

Private property is private property - if the owner wishes that boundary respected, they have that right and should not be harrassed for it.

7. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Teach..
    Intensive purposes? Is that like "allsome"? [​IMG]

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

She probably just meant the dog had been trained by Bill in Sinton and was really focused on trespassing.