AFCA redshirt proposal

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, May 15, 2017.

1. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The winners in this proposal ... slow developing players and injured players who could benefit from more years on campus. The losers ... well there are only so many D1 scholarships, so fewer kids would get scholarship offers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First thing that happens is expansion of medical redshirts, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ole Miss' Hugh Freeze, Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin, Florida's Jim McElwain and Kentucky's Mark Stoops.

What a group of support!

5. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Good proposal, I hope it is enacted.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good read. I like the early signing date and would like to see guys have 5 full years instead of the RS + 4 currently.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I think the whole "calling it a redshirt year when they're actually playing meaningful snaps against real competititon" thing would just be solved by allowing students to play for 5 years. Hell, give them a 6th if they get hurt or "actually" redshirt without any snaps for a season. We've already seen expansion of amount of play time with the grad transfers, which I think is becoming some sort of weird free agency market with the loopholes it's generated.

Being honest about the role of college football (prep league for the NFL) is something that I hope happens within the next 5-10 years. The average college grad is using more than 4 years to graduate now. There's no way a 5-star, can't-miss prospect would stay for 5 years in college anyhow, so anyone who sees this as a method for the Alabamas of the college football world to eliminate potential competitors for recruits or anything is missing the point.

8. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

As long as they keep the 25-85 scholly rule I guess it's ok.

I just have a feeling Saban will find a way to manipulate the rule to his advantage. But that's why he makes the big bucks.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think this would be more advantageous to the Mike Leach, David Beatty, Bill Snyder and other successful two star player developers of this world than the Urban Meyer, Nick Saban types. Then again... if Saban favors it, maybe he has an insight that I miss.

10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

This will allow all coaches to promise players that they can play as true freshmen. Probably coaches like Saban, who have stockpiled 4 and 5 star players in every class, will benefit most from that. Teams with less talent could make that freshman-playing-time promise easily, but now Saban can match it with every recruit, even if they all will eventually redshirt.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hippie is correct. Give them 5 years to play 4; provide immediate medical RS ruling; and leave the current RS alone.