African Cup of Nations

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by groundss, Jan 3, 2008.

1. groundss

groundss 100+ Posts

If I'm not mistaken, this tournament starts in a couple weeks. Will there be any way to view it here in the U.S.? There are several players & teams I'd like to follow but I doubt it'll be broadcast.

Also, does anyone know if Euro 08 will be on FSC or ESPN this summer?

Thanks.
    sg

2. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

As far as I know, there's no broadcast of it in the U.S. Your best bet is to Sopcast it. It should be a badass tournament.

The Euro 2008 will be shown in its entirety on ESPN/ABC. Not sure if it'll be broadcast in HD, but I'm really hoping so.

3. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

It is ******** that it's not on in English in America. I do believe that maybe the French channel that is available on most cable and satellite providers (Ch. 5 is what it's called) is showing the matches?

4. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Telesud

On dish network. You can also pay per view on their website. This is an awesome tournament. It is my favorite beside the world cup. I was in France in 1992, and watched most of the games for that year's tourney. The finals went to a penalty shootout...12 rounds. The goalies had to shoot. To quote my French father...

J'ai jamais vu ça.
    Moi non plus, monsieur

5. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

Who cares about watching African countries...

6. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

probably about half of the world

7. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

African soccer = [​IMG]

8. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

Offical match ball. It's called the wawa aba

9. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Europe depleted

If you haven't had a chanceto watch some of the games, or at least see the goals, go to rojadirecta.com and watch the goals.

Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, and Guinea are through. Angola and Tunisia should be through today. Angola have a ManU prospect, Manucho, who is great.

Ghana and Nigeria are playing one quarterfinal, that I wish would air on something other than the french channel on dish. It would be a great lead-in to the super bowl.

10. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I subscribed to the French channel on Comcast in Houston (Ch. 535) that will be showing all the knockout round matches.

[​IMG]

11. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

hilites are on yahoo's main soccer page. So far Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, and Egypt are in the semis. Tunisia and Cameroon are playing as wee speak

from eurosport

12. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Cameroon and Tunisia go to extra-time, where Cameroon scores to go up 3-2. Not over just yet.

I was kinda hoping for a Tunisia win, as it would set up two Western Africa v. Northern Africa semi's. I guess Ghana-Cameroon will be a good game though (as will the Cote d'Ivoir-Egypt game, which is a rematch of the 2006 ACON final).

13. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

This tournament has been awesome thus far. Hopefully it will get better TV coverage in America next time around.

14. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

It sucks to be a soccer fan in the U.S.
    I can turn it on ESPN at any time and see bowling, women's basketball, spelling bees, dog shows, etc... But soccer only gets play when the U.S. is playing (sometimes) and then every 4 years during the World Cup.
    I don't what I'd do without FSC and GolTV; however, I would have loved to watch the African Cup.

15. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I agree that ESPN blows ***, but by and large, we do get maybe the best total coverage in the world behind China.

16. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I just now caught the Manucho goal. Wow.

He's a Manchester signing from Angola and looks to be a good one.

17. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Cameroon took down the hosts with one, and Egypt put a vicious beat down on the Ivory Coast, 4-1. It is safe to say that Egypt are favored in the final, and they also have a chance to repeat. So, of course, they won't. You can watch the goals on rojadirecta. Nothing against the Egyptians, but I do think Cameroon will upset them. They make for a more exciting participant (and possible US opponent) in the confed cup as well.

It's been a good tournament. African teams seem to play a lot looser when they play each other. It can get sloppy, but it sure can pretty up in a hurry.

18. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Egypt will win by a second half goal. Zidan will provide the assist.