After 7 Long Seasons, We Finally Have A QB

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Clean, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Sam Ehlinger is the real deal.

The team still has a lot of problems, but QB isn't one of them. Ehlinger has taken the team on his back and almost carried them to wins over the likes of USC and OU. He's done that without a running game and with a patchwork, leaky OL.

Just think of all the kids who tried to fill Colt's shoes; Garrett Gilbert, David Ash, Case McCoy, Tyrone Swoopes, etc., etc. All good kids who played hard, but Sam is a rare find. If we can find a running game and OL to go with him, the next 4 years are going to be exciting.

Shane's a good kid too, but to me, there was a noticeable drop off when he replaced Sam late in the OU game. In fact, I said on another thread, if Sam could have played every down, we win. No doubt in my mind.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I am super impressed with Sam. And I love the fact that he is a Longhorn since birth and always dreamed of being in this spot. Love the kid.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If we don't kill him first by putting it all on him since the rest of the offense doesn't help him much.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Two first downs and a 3 second sack in 5 plays is a noticeable drop-off?

• Like Like x 12
  5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Was just about to post the same thing. A ridiculous argument.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And that long pass to Duvernay where Sam led him out of bounds.
    Does Shane's accuracy hit him in stride for an obvious touchdown?
    I love them both and will root for whichever is in the game.

• Like Like x 8
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Shane isn’t a bad qb kid can ball but this system doesn’t fit him. If we land both our qb’s we have committed in 18 I think Shane transfers

• Like Like x 1
  8. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

We have a running qb who seems to think he is immortal. Shane will see significant action. Our O line is a caved in ditch, which is why Sam gets to show his Houdini side so often

7-5

• Like Like x 1
  9. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Or maybe he is just trying to help his team win and accepts the risk of playing more physically.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

And hopefully this rubs off the the rest of the guys on the field because he is without a doubt giving it his all

• Like Like x 4
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

For someone else in 2019 after transferring and sitting out 2018. Shane is a quality square peg being put in a round hole so no use playing back-up at Texas for two years when he can start for a lot of top tier Power 5 teams.

13. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I love watching Sam but qbs like him have short shelf lives. I meant no disrespect at all.

Our O line barely exists, hence he is running for his life all the time.

Robert Griffin III comes to mind. How did he do this week?

• Like Like x 3
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

May be so but I think the round hole is the hole leading to our quarterback opened by the poor blocking of the OL. I like Shane, want to see him play again and I say that fully respecting Sam's grit and talent. Love to see them both and hope they both stay. With a good - maybe just decent - line play I think the two make a deadly combination. And yep, I say that even realizing how some say two qb system never works, BS.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I would say we had a real QB in Ash too, but our OC thought he was a bulldozer. The same will happen to Sam if we keep using him the way we are. Unfortunately though this seems like the only way our offense can have success since we have no creativity in the running game.

• Like Like x 4
  16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

creativity is impossible when there is no offensive line, a problem that perhaps will be solved as early as next season. The chances of that sieve being sewed up this season seem slim, though possible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

18. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Sam probably wouldn't have taken that sack. He'd have spun away, like he'd done the whole game.

I like Shane. I hope he sticks around as a backup. When the season started, I thought he'd be our starting QB. But, after you've seen Sam play, well, Sam is obviously better. In addition to his physicality, Sam's got a swagger that you need in a QB. Vince had it. Baker Mayfield has it. It gives the whole team confidence.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sam reminds me of a young aspiring QB wannabe from a few decades ago named James Street.

That said, I know Todd Dodge taught Sam to read a defense, but he sure seems to have forgotten most of it. Read and release isn't always best when your first read is wide open. That said, Ruffin threw some unusual stuff at the kid, one was the safety loop, where any other QB would have gone deep right and been picked. I'm not saying Sam saw that because OU has NEVER run that against us. That play called for quick release, but Sam & Shane both are holding the ball too long while running for their lives.

• Like Like x 1
  20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You saw the brace on Shane's ankle, right?
    A healthy Shane may well have avoided the sack also.

• Like Like x 4
  21. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Most all 18-25 year old males think their immortal. Which is why auto insurance charges so much for insuring them; and why they make such terrific soldiers. Shane has run a lot, and takes as many risks as Sam.

But Shane is a step slower, not as agile and has been banged up hard/knocked out of games enough to silence any questions Re: his heart any more than they would question Sam's. (I am not referring to anyone in particular, only addressing this generally)

See my words above. I think you are doing Shane a disservice by implying he isn't taking risks to play as physically as he possibly can. Sam is taller and about 30 lbs heavier; he is built more physically by nature, not by his choice.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Sam will learn this quickly, or he will be knocked out of games, just as Shane was repeatedly injured by taking hard hit after hard hit.

Please remember that Shane's "accepting the risk of playing...physically" is what got him injured and gave Sam a shot to get on the field.

Both have guts and heart, and we know they are mortal, even if they don't know it yet.

• Like Like x 8
  22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

How did Sam do in his senior year of high school? And why?

He knows he is mortal and goes out and throws himself into it. Love the guy.

But we have to factor in that he may not be a constant at qb for us

• Like Like x 4
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Noticeable drop off??.. Shane came in got two first downs, one by an eight yard run, and was working on his third when he was replaced by a groggy Sam. You are biased and definitely wearing your Sam glasses.

24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I mostly agree with what you said but believe Sam would have been sacked there also because the DE came from deep behind. Contrary to what everyone seems to think Sam does take an occasional sack. He's not the incredible hulk or the Flash. But he did play well behind a patch work o-line until he got hurt. Then he came back in on second down and failed to get a first down. But that wasn't all his fault.

25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have always believed that both QBs should play in every game(with some possible exceptions) because of the need of experience for the back up and recruiting reasons. The starter should get around 85-90% and the back up the rest. Screw the idea that if you have two playing QBs then you have none.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Excellent post.

• Like Like x 1
  27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

We are fortunate to have this as a problem. It was only two years ago that either of these two QB's would be a major up grade to the starter position.

• Like Like x 7
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

UGH! We had a first down on their 32 yard line with three minutes to go (and a first down on their 42 yard line with four minutes to go) and then the sack! He had a huge hole on the left side but it happened too fast for him to bolt up field.

29. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

I remember a lot of plays where Ash ran head on into the D and dove forward at the tackle. The result was not good long term for Ash or the Horns. Think BYU

30. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

You got to be a tough dude to make it through a season in Big 12 Football as a QB. Sam is the most physical QB I've seen play at the 40 acres. Very inspirational. I think he could play TB at some schools. The way he plays though, is probably going to give Shane plenty of playing time due to injury.
    Shane would do well to stack 20lbs on his body, if he can.