After a Texas Offensive Score

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Oct 27, 2019.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Maybe one of you younger analytical types can find this data for the entire season.

What has the UT defense done immediately following an offensive score (A UT touchdown, or a UT field goal)?

1) How many 3-and-outs? (I'm guessing none.)
    2) How many forced punts? (I'm guessing very few.)
    3) How many turnovers generated?
    4) How many scoring drives allowed? (I'm guessing a bunch.)

I have never seen a defense like this that struggles to get off the field after the offense has produced a score. Their inability to cease or capitalize on offensive momentum is stunning.

This kind of parlays on to the subject of another thread. QUESTION: Why are all Tom Herman's games close? ANSWER: The offense can never build upon a lead. Due to the terrible defense, we are simply always trading scores. This works up until the time your QB has a pitiful outing.

The offense was pathetic yesterday (mainly due to mind-numbing play calling), but the defense is the death kneel of this team this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

What has the offense done when the defense has done something positive ? Defense gave us all kinds of chances to jump on TCU, and we squandered them away with bonehead plays and poor execution. Check other games and you probably find the same thing happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I agree that the offense sucks right now. However, the defense sucks more! It's a bad place to be in!

4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

What has the defense done when the offense scores and needs a stop to get the ball back to try and score and win the game? You know, like against TCU to draw within 3.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

1) How many 3-and-outs? (I'm guessing none.) 6 times which is 17%
    2) How many forced punts? (I'm guessing very few.) 11 times which is 31%
    3) How many turnovers generated? 6 which is 17%
    4) How many scoring drives allowed? (I'm guessing a bunch.) 17 which is 47%

I didn't count scoring drives that either finished the half or game in the total, only those which their offense had a chance to respond.

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Offense scored 38 against LSU, more than anyone else; scored 50 against Kansas, more than anyone else. Lowest scoring total in any game is 27 (ou and tcu).

tcu is statistically the best Defense in the league. I never thought we'd bust 30+ against them.

The worst offensive game of the year was against ou, and a big reason for that was horrific field position, caused mainly by bonehead special teams that could not field punts or kickoffs properly.

It is true that Sam had his worst game of the year against tcu. Yet Sam drove the field late in the 4th to a score. Then the defense didn't give us a shot to win late in the game when they simply could not get tcu off the field.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Excellent points Caryhorn. Liked it.

• Like Like x 1