Aggie DC reported to be ND Mike Elko

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Jan 4, 2018.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Texas reporting. And thoughts on hire or recruiting in Texas? Wikipedia says 3 yr. 1.8 million per year.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I have never heard of him but I read somewhere today that he is pretty highly regarded. Coaching budgets likely just got pushed higher for a lot of programs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Elko, who will coach under new Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, will receive a multiyear contract and is expected to earn approximately $2 million annually at Texas A&M, a source told ESPN's Chris Low.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Really good young football mind, who has shown an ability to prepare, as well as make in game adjustments against superior talent.

Should also give the Aggies a new recruiting advantage in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, & Ohio.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

State Penn will still get who they want from that area so aggy will be fighting for the scraps.

6. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Wow, this shows they must be really interested in improving their defense. If so, then this could translate into a win over LSU. However, Auburn and 'Bama remain forces to be reckoned with. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

getting the coaches, now need to get players, which usually comes with winning a lot.....sooooo, they better start getting the double digit win seasons going....

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have made no secret of that I hold Jimbeaux Fisher in lowest esteem. I do not now, nor have I ever believed he is a good, much less great, coach. He has now managed to hire one of the 3 or 4 best DCs in the SEC, as well as the best OC in the entire SEC. If he just sits back, stays out of the way, and lets those two guys do their jobs, the Aggies will be dangerous starting in September. Both of these coordinators have proven they can plan, adjust, and beat teams with far more talent.

9. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I remember when the ags were excited about Chavis.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, and they were also excited about Phil Bennett 20 years ago

11. LonghornDave

It remains to be seen but neither the OC or DC are from the SEC. The DC is from ND and has no experience south of Wake Forest. Will be interesting to see if recruiting defense improves any time soon. The OC is here from Memphis, with stops at Texas State, UTEP, LSU, North Texas State among others. Clearly recruiting to Memphis is a much different game than ND...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Me thinks aggy needs to tap the brakes a little here... remember who the are, the mountain the program needs to climb, BUT you and I KNOW most of them won't.

I remember when aggy was VERY excited about Fran & Stumblin, perhaps Sherman too....

Having said that, Fisher is assembling a very credible, capable staff with a pedigree. The jury is out on the "New Boss" until Sept.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

2%er. I'll bet you don't uncover when appropriate or stand during an entire ball game either. Damn New Army...

• Like Like x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No denying that, but he is from HS coaching royalty, not to mention has been more than a little bit successful everywhere he's been. Darrell is better than any OC we've had since Emory.

15. LonghornDave

Agreed that OC hire is intriguing on several levels. Don't get the DC hire and timing is bad given lack of depth and misses in signing day 1.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

When you are turned down by your first half dozen choices, and 3-4 more aren't returning phone calls, you start looking for "a warm body". It's one thing to get turned down, but to be turned down after offering record breaking salaries? Wreaks of amateurism rather than the Aggies self perceived elitism.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Who? ;)

18. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

7.5 million a year for Jimbo. 1.8 for Elko. That's one hell of a pricey staff they're putting together.

There's some rich old ags that want to see their beloved atm win a natty before they die. They'll pay whatever it takes to git 'er done.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Clean, wasn't Sumlin, Chavis, etc supposed to do that? :hookem:

20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Elko is young, but has an impressive record of improving defenses. A full generation younger than the OC hire.

21. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Well, yeah, he was. So was Franchione when they got him away from Bama. They're gonna keep on trying until they get it right.

22. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yep, suggesting that an Aggie be realistic is like telling a two-year-old to be patient.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, there is an age difference, but one has great possibilities; the other is a slam dunk, homerun hire. It is obvious to everyone with a single connection that Fisher was having massive trouble getting people to work for him. Darrell comes in, builds the foundation for the new Aggie offense. Darrell is already qualified for his Texas State Teacher Retirement, but that is based on his best three years. He didn't make that much at NTSU, but three years of Aggie pay will make a huge difference. He can then turn the offense over to his protege and move to Horseshoe Bay with all the other retired coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's fill in the blank time
    Poor _____

• Like Like x 3