Aggies, Hogs etc

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by joh, Sep 25, 2015.

1. joh

joh 25+ Posts

Newbie here, daughter's a freshman so just became a Longhorn fan last year - I read about and know who the Aggies and Hogs are but could someone give me a list of some of the other "nicknames".

2. JesterSurvivor

JesterSurvivor 25+ Posts

We mainly call them by the school name, the team name or a variation on one of the two. I try not to use insulting names like Sand Fleas for Texas Tech) because it feels too College Station/Junior High Pep Rally to me. (However, as a holdover from my youth, I still call the University of Houston, "Houston High School.")

First, why are you asking about SEC teams? Texas is in the Big 12.

OU is the Sooners or Okies. Sometimes Zero U. Sooner Motors.

Texas Tech is Tech or the Raiders. If they are playing A&M, they are The Alamo. Tortilla Tossers will also work.

OSU is rarely called the Cowboys. Sometime they are called Okie Lite.

Baylor is Baylor or the Bears. Lately, the Defendants. I'm pressing for the Starr Chamber.

TCU is the Frogs.

West Virginia is rarely spoken of, but it seems we call them WV, not the Mountaineers.

Iowa State does not have a football team.

Kansas State is K State or the Wildcats.

Kansas is the name of the star. Oops, Wizard of OZ reference there. Jayhawks.

As for other old Southwest Conference teams:

Rice is the Owls or Smart Owls.

SMU has to my knowledge never been anything other than Smoo or the Mustangs. In my youth, I called them The Biff Tads, given that every guy there was named Biff or Tad in the 1980's. That never caught on as widely as I would have hoped. I would call them The Running Dead, but it just seems cruel.

University of Houston - the Coogs, Houston High School.

And, finally, Nebraska, former Big 12 - I have always been partial to Children of The Corn.

Any school with North, South, East or West or a combination of those words in its name is a Directional School. Sometimes also called the Sisters of the Poor. They only show up in the OOC schedule.

And the variations on all of the above are too numerous to adequately cover - A&M is sometimes called Collie Station, aggy (aggy, like the Borg, has no plural), Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College, that Ag school, Poor Aggy, the Farmers, the Fighting Farmers, the Milkmen, Collie F%^ckers, Sheep F%^kers, Fake Army, Beirut on the Brazos, the Cult of Collie, the Penis Envy Army, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Nice.

4. joh

joh 25+ Posts

Thanks JesterSurvivor- gave aggy and Hogs just as examples (Texas Bowl was first Longhorn game I watched as a fan)

5. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Cougar High was what I remember from years back...

don't forget Blow-U

cockroaches has such a nice ring to it

nothing to add here...just needed it to appear yet again in the thread :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Tech used to get called Tceh a lot because of an incident where their flag-waving cheer guys ran out on the field in the wrong order multiple times in the same game, but it's died down a lot lately. Probably because so few people still remember the original game that it just looks like the equivalent of A&M fans going "hehe I will call them tu instead of UT".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Tech= Sand Aggy
    Kansas State= Wheat Aggy
    Iowa State= Corn Aggy
    OU= Mobilehoma
    Notre Dame= Domers

9. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

...which also explains the occasional use of OSONERS for Zero U.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts