aggy meltdown

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by SectionThree, Mar 23, 2009.

1. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Considering that Guy's from an area of Houston that's hugely aggy, I think Sherman has a good chance to turn him from Cal. If okie doesn't put a full court press on Jones soon, I think Sherman can get him to CS. I think Lewis is the next best bet. After that, things become problematical if Matthews does what he apparently wants to do and verbals to UT. I've heard Hurd's a lean to Michigan, and I just don't see Nelson going anywhere but Norman.

2. SectionThree

SectionThree 500+ Posts

Aggy sees future all-americans in anybody who will commit
    to being koolaid drinkers. Makes absolutely no difference
    of skill level They are the epitome of goofy. And I love it.

3. UTFAN4EVER

UTFAN4EVER 250+ Posts

Bundy, your recruiting optimism just proves this post. Keep it up! [​IMG]

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Bundy is a good internet type of cat, to be honest. I read his posts without the sarcasm filters. Some may be a reach but I have seen him feel they don't have a shot at somebody and it ends up happening, rather than having maroon glasses on.

We can only take so many kids and there will still be talent. While it will be picked on by other teams, aggy losing to Baylor (prob. this year too) and never beating Tech does not help them. But Sherman seems like a good guy and seems to be committed to turning things around.

I honestly feel sorry for the guy. Hi, welcome to the Big 12. You get to go up against Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, a pirate who owns you, LSU would would own you and actually has national presence and a host of other schools. You are new to the job and nobody really knows how long you will stick around before going back to the NFL. Tough sell.

Then they have to actually have the kids come visit and try to sell that town on them. Certain kids love that but they already know they do and are already beating on the barn door to get there. I doubt many are swayed nowadays to the lure and ahem, charms of College Station. It is just flat out not hip and not a breeding ground for the next level. It has zero national recognition other than being our rival and no national status at this non-cheating time. Again, tough sell.

5. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Good post 100. I've taken plenty of shots at aggy on here, but I appreciate most of what Bundy has to say when he comes over. I've said it before...he's easily the most rational agricultural poster on here.

It has to be tough trying to recruit to aggy. They used to have the pitch that if you're a player who wants a smaller town atmosphere, they're the place for you. Today, okie's taken that away from them. Those same players can go to Norman and have a better chance of winning something.

aggy used to depend a lot on legacies...but these days, high school players don't necessarily want to go where their parents, or older brothers and sisters went.

College Station isn't the worst place around, but you can probably see that place from C.S. They have a lot of the same plastic restraunts and strip malls as other places, but not much else going for them, unless you're a huge fan of Wings 'N More, or like to stay up until the cows come home at the Chicken.

I don't have anything to prove it, but I get the idea that Sherman is kinda uncomfortable being back at the college level. He wasn't a bad NFL head coach, and it wouldn't surprise me if some team came calling on him again, no matter what his record is with aggy.

Those guys have us to the west of 'em, okie up north, LSU making more progress in east Texas and the Houston area, and a resurgent Baylor in their back yard up in Waco. I don't see who they're gonna outrecruit, even if they had a staff full of good recruiters, which they don't.

They have gotten two or three decent players to verbal in the last couple of weeks, but it's gonna take a lot more than that before they're on any kind of equal footing with Tech, or Baylor, much less us, okie, and LSU.

That's a hard row to hoe, even for an agricultural college.

6. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

I was going to make the comment that SectionThree just made. Aggy thinks any player that commits to them is an amazing talent that just isnt getting their due rewards from the ranking services and will some day lead aggy to a national championship before going off and being the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We keep saying it, but nobody, and I mean nobody, has ever said it better than Scipio way back in 2000.

The Recruitocosm

8. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

Sangre,

That's my favorite post in the history of Hornfans and since that post, UT and LSU have both won national titles. Tech has also gotten a lot better since then (as has TCU and even Baylor), and everybody has dug their heels in even more. Lots of inertia pulling away from College Station today, even more than in the past.

The majority of aggy, save the really really delusional ones, have given up on them consistently outrecruiting UT, OU and LSU. They just want to own the second tier above Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Okie State, while nabbing an occasional blue chipper from the big boys. The idea is that if they can establish themselves above the mire, then eventually they can stepping stone their way up to compete with the big boys on the recruiting front. I personally think they would be more successful going for grade/character risks and loading up the Fedex envelopes. That's a niche that Okie State has seemed to own lately, but it's not one that aggy is completely unfamiliar with.

9. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

I give Bundy his props. He calls it pretty much down the middle, but glee over 3 stars and nice prospects will not cut it in the end.

10. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I start to sympathize with aggy ---then read on texags how their latest DE out of LA (recruited by aggy, arky, LA tech, and LA Lafayette) is a better pickup than Reggie Wilson. Yes, they said that

11. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

Link Chango? I have absolutely GOT to see that.

12. HornInLC

HornInLC 100+ Posts

13. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

Haha, better than Wilson....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

15. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

I disagree that CS is a that tough a sell on a kid. CS sits less than 2 hours away from 2 of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation. Hell, lubbock and Stillwater make CS/Bryan look like Austin.

Aggy should be able to build a respectable program. They have loads of $$, great facilities, geography, and a passionate (although sometimes delusional) fanbase.

There big problem is that they have made some very bad coaching hires. Mike Sherman is a horrible hire. He is an NFL outcast who has no shot at being a good college coach. They should have gambled on a young hot shot assistant with potential and not some tapped out big name.

16. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

17. SectionThree

SectionThree 500+ Posts

They just keep on keeping stupid. A recent post has a new
    commit from the dfw area that NOBODY has offered. The
    poster says that he keeps up with TCU recruiting and that
    their coach is "looking" at the guy (not offered, mind you)
    and that since aggy has his commit that "you snooze, you
    lose". It blows me away that they can actually say stuff
    like this. Do they NOT understand how idiotic they look?

18. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

"Fresno sits less than two hours for the Los Angeles Metro area. Fat lot of good that does them in that agricultural backwater"

Not a very good comparison.
    Fresno is a commuter school that has no where near the financial resources that A&M does. They also play in a 2nd tier conference and usually do well in WAC.

If i was an aggy (thank god im not) i would be extremely frustrated that they cannot build a competitive football program considering all the resources they have.

And it looks like it will be a very long time before they turn the corner. The very best they could possibly think about finishing in the Big 12 south is 3rd, for at least the next 5-10 years. And probably worse if Okie st. and Tech continue to field competitive teams.

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

21. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

22. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

23. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

24. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts when they jump.

aggy can't hire one of the names mentioned above because that level of coach is too smart to take on the challenge of building a powerhouse in collie station.

Their best hope is to find an up-and-coming coach at a lower level who sees agricultural as a lifetime opportunity. Good luck in finding somebody like that. Otherwise, money, facilities, rabid fanbase and the like still isn't gonna put the mechanical and agricultural college on equal footing with us, okie, and LSU.

25. Bundy

Bundy 100+ Posts

26. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

27. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

28. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Aggy will become good when Texas screws up and hires bad coaches who can't deal with Texas talent and HS coaches, or are terrible in coaching itself. When the horns are down, the cult factor etc becomes even helpful for aggy. Barring big mis-steps, I don't see it happening that easily, but things can go bad rather fast with a bad hire as head coach by us.

No way for aggy to catch up with the horns with ANY actions on their own. We have to help by screwing up.

R.J.

29. LonghornCougar

30. LonghornCougar

Per VatoLocoAggie on texags:

"SM (Stephen McGee) is easily the best QB in this draft and perhaps the best player in this draft.

Just because he didn't play in a BCS game doesn't mean that he isn't good.

He would have been a definite Heisman contender if it were not the media's disdain hate/envy of Texas A&M.

He took a bare cupboard and produced more than any player in the nation could have under those circumstances.

They call him the "Longhorn Slayer" for a reason.

He will be a NFL starter if he is allowed to showcase his talent and isn't restricted by some pathetic coaching staff."

I'm not sure if my sarcas-o-meter is broken, but I think this dude is serious!