aggy

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texanne, Jan 12, 2021.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Disclaimer: I never attended 1 hour of a UT class, but I’m about the craziest UT fan you’d meet.
    In sales, people often ask for what we sell for a donation.....
    Receptionist calls back, “Scott some man named Dave South is in the phone, he’s looking for a donation generator for some event. Oh and he asked if you’re an Aggie”
    Actually a nice guy, did he get a free generator? Ahhhh, no.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Had forgotten they played Pittsburgh in '03. A&M opened the year with a pair of wins including beating a pretty good Utah team that went 10-2 that season and 12-0 the next (including getting revenge on a much-improved '04 Aggie squad by 20 points in the "WOW!" Torbush game).

Then they lost all the rest of their games by double digits except for beating Baylor and Kansas who were both awful, including the 77-0 OU game and their game against us where we only threw 8 passes while VY and Ced rushed for like 400 combined yards.

Anyway, in their Pittsburgh game in 03, they lost 37-26 and Larry Fitzgerald went for 135 yards on 7 catches, 3 for touchdowns. Although in fairness to the Ags, Fitz did that to pretty much everyone all year. That wasn't even one of his top 5 games of the season in terms of yardage. Ended up with 92 catches for 1672 yards and 22 TDs. Should have won the Heisman.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  3. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Dave South was a hoot. I only listened to him call a few games (always in the car with my husband listening on the radio), but even with that limited sample size there were a couple of classics: Once, when Auburn drove 99 yards and scored on a short run. Dave South: "Did he get in? I don't know if he got in". Dave Elmendorf: "The official is signaling touchdown". Dave South: (sullenly) "All right, touchdown." And best of all, his call of Tucker's walk-off field goal. "It's down, and it's up, and it's a good one, they win". Someone recorded it and put it on youtube, so if you need a chuckle, check it out. "They win"--hilarious.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

After the Aggies’ Gator Bowl stunt, don’t talk to me about the ‘12th Man’ ever again

Enough about A&M and the ‘12th Man’

I don’t ever want to hear about Texas A&M’s “12th Man” again after the Aggies pulled out of the Gator Bowl because “we just don’t have enough scholarship players available to field a team,” according to head coach Jimbo Fisher. (Dec. 23, 1B, “Texas A&M pulls out of Gator Bowl due to COVID-19”)

If the reason for pulling out of the game was a concern for the welfare and safety of the players, then OK. But to say the reason is a lack of “scholarship players” relegates the “12th Man” to meaningless status and ignores the institution’s football history, dating to Jan. 1, 1922, when a student left the stands to suit up for an injury-depleted Aggies team.

- Tom Leferink, Arlington

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  6. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Maybe now they will sit down at the games.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1