aggy

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texanne, Jan 12, 2021.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I just saw this after I posted roughly the same thing, but I do get why people want UT to play ags.

2. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Can you imagine- that would be great.... unless UT lost.
    Then it would set off another set of traditions.

3. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

IDE-
    Bud if Earl Campbell, Ricky, VY and Sam want to play AM... That carries a lot more weight with me than Sark or CDC, I would disagree with them. but again this is an opinion board and if everybody got fired at UT With some level of authority that I disagree with- Austin would be a ghost town and 90% of the professors would be exiled- to New Iberia and working in the Tabasco factory

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You realize that you just mobilized the Coonass Militia and Cajun Navy to form a line of defense. We need to hoard all the sugar at HEB because the nation's largest sugar plantation between Franklin & Avery Island will be used as an airplane hanger. (Coonasses flying airplanes is a really scary thought.) They will do everything possible to keep those liberals out. I have a mental image of The Coonass military being led by Floyd Landry (yes, he'll be in golf shoes & shorts) and Frank Messina.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm afraid to ask Eller what they will do next. The man organized the country's largest feed lot in Amarillo, then cloned a calf, then went to Europe to revolutionize stem cell, which he now offers in Cancun because our government requires Big Pharma to be involved or it doesn't get approved.

6. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I know this hard to believe. Especially at your age. But not everything's about you.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

There you go again.

Are you also an internet tough guy?

internet-tough-guy-2.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Thanks for the kind words. I respect the fact that you disagree with my take. I realize it's a shocking message for some to hear.

My concern is about the program. First and foremost. It's been that way for 20 years +. Sometimes, when you care about something, you have to lob the heavy artillery. That means taking some too. And that's ok.

I took the flak about the Eyes. And I will happily take the flak on this issue as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic
    Major seems to have an obssession with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. horninchicago

It's not always about me 6721.

'Smatta witchu?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

This is one of the biggest issues I have with the current embargo policy/ conference set up. The recruiting pie is split into too many pieces.

In the years of our greatest success, where did the bulk of the State's recruits go to? Texas. Gooner. Aggy. And for those with a touch of gray, Arky. That's it. The rest of the SWC schools were little sisters of the poor. They usually got the leftovers.

But when the SWC weakened, the recruiting pie got split into too many pieces. And that's when we began to consistently struggle on the field. Do you remember what it was like towards the end of the SWC? When Michigan, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. were all sniping the best players from the State?

So what happened when we joined a better conference? More specifically, what happened when Mack arrived in town? Not only did he start getting blue chips back into the program...but he also did something very strange.

If a kid he recruited decided to go to aggy instead, he would call the player and congratulate him for deciding to stay in-State. Why do you think he did that? Does anybody really believe this is because Mack was a crypto-aggy? Or he was hoping to "help" a en m out?

Nope. He understood that Texas is a fertile recruiting ground. AND that the pie can only be split into so many pieces. In the classic Big 12 arrangement, that pie was split between Texas, Gooner, and Aggy. And that's it. Everyone else got the leftovers.

(How was our record during that period? And how has our record been since the embargo/decline of the B12?)

Mack also understood that, all things being equal, most recruits, when offered a scholly by Texas and aggy, would choose Texas. And it's not even close. Who wouldn't want the four/five year party in Austin? So it made--and still makes--the most sense to encourage ALL recruits to stay inside the State. Because when they do that, most of them will choose Texas.

And one of the ways to entice recruits to stay in State is to have the annual match-up between the two biggest schools in the State. How many times did I hear during the Texas/Texas A&M game that "this is all about high school football in the State of Texas. All the kids out there know each other. They all played against one another in high school."

That game was one of the most intense games out there. It was ******* insanity. Of the best kind. And it really was all about the best high school players in the State squaring off one more time.

That's one of the points I'm trying to get across here. Not playing aggy hurts them. But it also hurts us. Because it takes the air out of one of the reasons Texas high school players wanted to stay in the State. That game meant a lot to a lot of people. Not just aggy big cigars. But also to the kids who were out on the field.

And, not having that game around is one less reason to stay in the State of Texas.

I suppose the antagonists can claim that the game never mattered. But we all know that's not true. Because around Thanksgiving, it didn't matter what your record was. All that mattered was beating aggy. And it wasn't just the fans who thought that. It was the players as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. horninchicago

Listen, all razzing aside, we get these points. I doubt HS kids now would care about playing them or vice versa for kids who went to a&m. Just my opinion.

Now, again, for many of us who aren't involved and making donations as BMDs, it is a s simple as they took their bats and balls and ran off to the SEC like titty babies. Texas offered them to come in on a network. Won't make enough $ they said. Then Texas makes a bunch of $ off the deal. Big, bad, evil Texas is just all about making $. Well, we'll show them by going to a conference where we can...make more $$.

So, again, whether it makes sense or not, Texas will be just fine as long as Sark isn't a disaster like the previous 2 coaches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I know it’s early, but Sark is the right guy from everything I’ve seen

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. horninchicago

Precisely why Texas doesn't "need" to play those loons. Even if Sark's a dud, it should be a non starter.

Like I said before, arkie ran off too. We played them in 2003 and 2004. The '03 loss killed Texas. The '04 win garnered little respect nationally when Mack had to "politic" to get Texas into The Rose Bowl.

Can't explain why we play them from time to time. Although, it was before my time, there was actual history and national implications by playing them. a&m has always been nothing but a nuisance. They left. Let them remain a memory.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Major, we are the Joneses because we fired a coach for going against The University of Texas honor and traditions in spite of the fact that coach had four consecutive winning (non-Charlie) seasons and 4 bowl wins and the Joneses said "see ya in the funny papers" and paid tens of millions to get rid of and replace said coach. Not everyone can afford to do that but Texas can and did.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

AD's and Coaches always publically say they want to play XXX. To say "No we don't want to play them" makes one look weak. This is why CdC and the HC always say they want to play. I am confident that CdC has heard enough from BMD's and even some HornFans posters to know there is no ground swell of opinion to ever play aggy again. One more time aggy left and TEXAS has nothing to gain by playing aggy in anything other than a CFP game.

Based on the enrollment on the Austin Campus and the lack of student involvement at games, I would say the majority of students don't care.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I enjoy your sarcasm.

18. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

My 2 cents. Texas does not need to play A&M or the Piggies, OU does not need to play Nebraska, Pitt does not need to play WVU, etc.... But I thoroughly enjoy all the old rivalries and I will always hope that they return. If the game does not matter, why does this thread exist and why are they mentioned a lot in this site? If you want to argue that UH, SMU, Rice, TCU, and Baylor do not matter and we should not play them. I am all in, but I will reiterate that I miss games against Arkansas and A&M. Hell I miss playing Nebraska as they were always so butt hurt when we beat them but they are far from being a rival. But I wish we would play them instead of most other teams including Georgia, Alabama, and Michigan as there is the old bitter connection. I don't give a dam about CU or Missouri on any level so hopefully we do not schedule them again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

We're all entitled to our two cents. And I don't have any personal issues with you or anyone here. We're all Horns. But the bottom line is this decision is based on emotion, not business. And no business can survive for long operating like that.

If we keep being short-sighted, resting on the laurels of the past, and hoping that the next coach will solve all of our problems, we're going to wake up completely isolated, in a shell of conference, playing nurse maid to the little sisters of the poor.

I've said my piece.

• poop poop x 1
  20. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

And while I hope it is a long time, we will do it again.

:cowrose:

21. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

And as for us ending up isolated in a shell of a conference, playing nurse maid to the little sisters of the poor.......now......is that markedly different from a decade as Oklahoma's *****, while basically playing .500 ball against the little sisters? Cause that ship done sailed folks.

Just askin for Sabre......

:cowrose:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Mr. Irrelevant

Mr. Irrelevant 25+ Posts

Here's why A&M joined the SEC... In 2009, UT and the PAC10 started working to create a 16-team super conference. See the quote below:

“In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they’re trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting,” the source said. “They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It’s been that way for months of discussions.” Source: Texas, OU, OSU staying in Big 12 – The Denver Post

During these months of negotiations, UT negotiated on behalf of A&M without its knowledge or consent. The PAC was not a good fit for A&M and moving to that conference was not in A&M's best interest. UT didn't care. UT believed it knew what was best for A&M. Further, UT believed it could force A&M to join the PAC by threatening to cancel the series.

"But sources say UT officials have vowed that if A&M turns down its invitation to the Pac-10, breaks away from UT and goes to the SEC, Texas won't schedule the Aggies in anything anytime soon." Orangebloods - SEC and AM heating up as Beebe tries to save Big 12

That's it. By threatening the entire conference, UT destabilized it. A&M couldn't take the chance that UT would someday make good on its first attempt to destroy the Big 12. A&M might not have any option at that point but to join whatever conference UT wanted even if it wasn't in A&M's interest. A&M had two options... wait and hope it all worked out, or take action to make sure it's best interest was protected. A&M chose the latter. It took an extra year for A&M to get all the ducks in a row, but the die was cast in 2010.

Had UT not tried to kill the Big 12 and force A&M (and four other schools) into the PAC in 2010, A&M would still be in the Big 12 today.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  23. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

You win, because now I'm confused. Was trying to point out that, if you're the coach at UT, winning more than losing is not sufficient to spare you if you choose to go against the people who pay your salary, which seems to reflect most places of employment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The aggy borg collective got tired of Texas being it’s daddy and decided Alabama should be his daddy. Once that FG went through the uprights in 2011, it was over. The final spanking of the maroon booger eaters ended in proper fashion with aggy women crying and some dimwit aggy saying they didn’t lose, they just ran out of time.
    There is no win for Texas playing aggy, if we win we were supposed to win, if we lose we were supposed to win. As in the movie the Patriot: Where is the honor in playing aggy? There is no honor in playing aggy. They may continue their jousting at windmills without our involvement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I hear the arguments on both sides, play/don't play. I'm on the don't play side of the fence but I'm leaning on the barbed wire. No matter the argument about what will/won't happen IF we play, right now, you WILL hear from aggy "You're too scared to play us now that we're in the SEC". I have aggies in the family. That argument won't change unless we play them.

26. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Y'all are WAY overthinkin' this. It boils down to integrity and class, and not playing a school whose students take barnyard animals to homecoming.

Too much??

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Ok. I'm not sure how that makes us the Joneses, then. Especially if we're doing the exact same thing everyone else is.

When Deloss said "we ARE the Joneses", while sitting by his solid-gold swimming pool, the context was that UT wins big, has the most cash, and outpaces every other university in America. I guess we still have the cash?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  28. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

The idea that Texas gets to select the best Texas players before anyone else has been false since about 1970 for many reasons.

The two biggest reasons I can think of are scholarship limits and national recruiting.

In the great old days Bear at Bama and Osborne at Neb could have 200 players on campus hidden by county scholarships, rule breaking etc etc.

With scholarship limits of 85 players on a team there are ways to cheat but they open to roster review and transparency. Ricky and the Phillies are an example.

Mack understood that he could only offer 25+/- players to play for Texas out of the 350+ that graduated Texas HS each year to Div 1 ball. That means recruit the best 25 that you need not the top 25 5stars listed on some recruiting media poll. Colt is an example. VY vs Ryan P is another example.

National recruiting means that the top 50 CFB teams have staff that are paid well to follow 100s of players from all States and Texas players will get attention from all the top programs including Bama, tOSU, ND, Clemson plus all the B12 competitors. Social media alone makes a huge difference that didnt exist since the last Texas NC victory.

There are lots of reasons to play or not play Tamu but the recruiting wars are won by the best recruiters not by a single regional game that can't dominate the TV audience on Thanksgiving Day anymore.

Look at who Sark is hiring as an example.

• Like Like x 1
  29. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Two points:

1) The TG Aggy game was national. Both on TG night and Friday at 11am. And the audience was bigger than anything we've been able to scrounge up since. Losing that game left a void in the schedule that hasn't been filled.

2) Between the two schools, which would be the most appealing to the average 18 year old? To me it's quite obvious. A paid 5-year vacation to Austin will always beat a paid trip to Bryan/College Station. Hands down.

So the suggestion that we'd be "helping" aggy by playing them is absurd. The Showdown was always a way to showcase the two biggest schools in the State. And make recruits pay attention to both. In such a scenario, we always win. Because we're the more attractive destination.

30. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Major I have attended all the Tday and TD+1 games at DKR since the 70S and I remember several classics in person. What I dont remember are the sellouts and massive TV ratings on Tday that you suggest. NFL may have something to do with that.

I did attend tOSU, ND, USC, LSU etc other primetime national TV matchups that were DKR sellouts since tamu went to the SEC.

I really look forward to attending the OOC game of big name CFB schools Bama, Mich, tOSU, GA and FL at DKR scheduled in the coming decade. I think playing a OOC game against a National CFB team is really important and hope the LSU game can be rescheduled. These OOC opponents are more important to national appeal and recruiting than the tamu game, imo.

As far as what is important to 16-18 y o football recruits, my opinion is the pipeline to NFL millions is more appealing but that requires winning on a national CFP basis.

It has been awhile.

• Agree Agree x 2