Ahmad Aubery Trial

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 5, 2021.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

No. You are putting facts out there that a man gunned down who was POTENTIALLY guilty of petty [insert MF'ing here] theft HAS A BROTHER who's in jail. His brother could be charged with Giselle Maxwell and it would be irrelevant to this issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Citizens arrest are problematic. I for one would not recognize the right of anyone to detain me even if they said "Citizens arrest". Unless I knew escaping was a winning option, I would attempt to take the gun from the person pointing it at me. This is the same problem with No-Knock raids at 3am. I'm going immediately into fight/flight and if I have limited outs, i'm quickly escalating to fight. The guys that attempted this Citizens Arrest did it so poorly that they outweighed any good they were attempting. Intent is not always a defense. In my opinion, they should face some jail time. My only open question is what the charge and conviction should be. I don't know that I would put this in a bucket of Murder....perhaps negligent homicide.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Quite honestly, I believe they were done the moment the one defendant elected to take the stand. He was pretty well eviscerated on cross...

Convictions were incoming at that point, with the only question being whether they were at the top count or one of the lesser-included offenses...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I obviously didn't see much of the trial since it was not given the same level of coverage, but how did they get multiple felony murder Counts against each defendant for Felony Murder with only one body?

And some of them also seemed to be lesser-included offenses given that it was one incident with one body.

Appellate maneuvering should prove interesting in the years to come.

6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

That dude that video'd it would be off the Christmas card list. He might have needed to go to the train station. Without that there's no trial.

8. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

The media coverage of this case has been terrible. No details and lots of propaganda. I expected murder on Travis but lesser charges on the other two but my opinion is based on incomplete information
    I just found out yesterday that he was chased around the block.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  9. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

His own attorney even insulted him and said he was too stupid to answer questions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

One was televised and one wasn’t? I’m against televising criminal trials.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Both were televised. I think I agree with you on televising trials. I also think there should not be activists in the courtroom and the court houses should have a one block perimeter where no protests can occur.

I watched opening statements in the Aubery trial and pieces of the testimony. After he testified I thought he was cooked. Not sure I could hold the other two for murder, but they did have complicity with what occurred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I’m unclear why the guy filming —Arbery running and the truck guys -gets a murder charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

I read early on that Greg McMichael knew Ahmaud and investigated his gun infraction. Now it looks like he didnt know him? Was that ever explained?

The other two did help chase for several minutes and Greg threatened to blow his head off if he didnt stop. Not sure what else came out in testimony. Did Roddie turn in the video willingly?

14. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Felony murder?

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The thing about media coverage of murder trial is they summarize. ....unless it really is a televised trial. The jury hears hours of testimony daily, takes measure of the witnesses and laboriously goes over the allegations, the law and the evidence. I don't hate the media, but I respect them less than I used to ...especially the 24 hour news channels, which are all angry all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I heard a voice I respect say the news reports of these trials was reasonable. The opinion pieces that came from it were not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

The media painted this as “the jogger” trial. The evidence showed he was not a jogger, but likely a petty theft criminal. Those three idiots decided they would take the law into their own hands and it cost them their lives. I’m guessing the video guy gets out of this on appeal.

18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

There is inconclusive evidence that the deceased was up to no good ... not enough to label him or for legit law enforcement to detain. He was jogging...we have that on video.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I hope the video guy gets little prison time. He may have behaved unintelligently...but the guys who brought lethal weapons to the encounter have a much greater responsibility to show restraint and good judgment

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

you could hear ole boy cocking his gun I believe.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The first step on the path to reclaiming your independent thought.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

G
    Good lord listen to different sources.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

How did this happen? I was told that a jury of 11 whites was too racist to convict whites of murder of a black person.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think that's largely true. The problem is that no one listens to the real news. They listen to the opinion crap, and that sets the narratives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The partisans dish out ******** for appreciative audiences eager for validation of angry, wacky-assed world view. I you think only the right wing or the left wing media is dealing in nonsense then you probably ascribe to a very partisan viewpoint.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And to be fair, there are variations among partisan media. The Dispatch and Daily Wire are right wing media, but they're quite different from and less than hackish Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones. George Stephanopoulos and Elizabeth Bruenig are left wing media, but they're quite different from and less nutty than from Nikole Hannah-Jones and Cenk Uygur.

27. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Tucker Carlson is hackish and you associate him with Alex Jones? If you think that, I think you are a bit out of touch. I don't like every stance Carlson has, but he isn't a hack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There are degrees of hackishness.

29. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Tucker is a shameless hack, but if the alternative is Alex Jones he looks like Walter Cronkite and Edgar R Murrow all rolled into one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

What makes him a hack? The fact that he speaks out forcefully about things he disagrees with?