Airplane cockpits.

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Not sure if this is the right place....

Pretty neat.

Click on the pictures to see what the cockpit for that plane looks like. You also get a very brief history and a little trivia about that plane.

The Link

2. tex-horn

tex-horn 100+ Posts

Very cool. My favorite was the C130J Super Hercules cockpit.

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Very cool. Some of the planes I thought would have limited visibility from the cockpit surprised me, the 130 among them.

4. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

Very cool. Why do they call it that?

5. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

6. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

That B-36 is cool. Great link....thanks for posting that.

7. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

cockpit of the UAV Desert Hawk looks so familiar

8. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I first started USAF Pilot Training in 1969, so the most advanced cockpit I ever occupied was similar to the F-106. The T-38 had the Flight Director System for the ADI and the HSI, but did not have the tape instruments for altitude and airspeed like the F-106. The OV-10 didn't even have the Flight Director - the instrument panel was a throwback to the 40s and 50s.
    I recently got to play in the F-16 demo cockpit a bit, and it was like a whole new world, with all the programmable touch-sensitive displays and the HUD. The F-22 looks like a super state-of-the-art video game - I'd be totally lost trying to fly that (although I'd love to try!).
    The advancement in technology is absolutely eye-watering...

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I designed flight cotrols for the prototype YF-22 back in my days as an engineer. So I spent many hours in the F-22 simulator cockpit. At the time, the pilots referred to the displays as "fist on glass" as opposed to "finger on glass" due to some issues with being able to select things on the displays. Hopefully, they are much better in the production version.

10. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

11. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

just showed it to my dad, hes a air traffic controller and that was like christmas for him. he was even picking out mistakes that they made in terms of the names of the planes and whatnot

12. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

HHD - my uncle flew F5s. I know the T38 is a 2 seater version for training, but what's the difference between an F5 and an F106? They look identical to my untrained eye.

13. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

14. tex-horn

tex-horn 100+ Posts

You ever been in a cockpit before?
    No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
    You ever seen a grown man naked?

15. 7out

7out 100+ Posts

Nice link, here's another one.
    The Link

16. 6LUDV8

6LUDV8 < 25 Posts

man that F-22 raptor is just sick. some of the earlier fighter cockpits are so narrow and jammed with dials i dont know how anyone could operate those damn things in the middle of combat...

any of those huge planes like the B-36 with the small windows all over head just makes you think that "im flying this slow giant aircraft and i have enough payload to wipe out your entire city"...

17. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

18. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

: I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

19. SuperG24

SuperG24 100+ Posts

Over Macho Grande? No, I'll never get over Macho Grande.
    (cajunhorn...wink..wink)

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Did somebody say F22? I got to see them up close and personal a few months ago.

21. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

22. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

"We have clearance, Clarence!"

"Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?"

Cool site. I think one of my favorites actually has to be the MB-2. Very interesting to see the technology that was in use in the early days of flight. All of the cockpits are interesting, though.

Tons of cockpit photos for civilian aircraft over at airliners.net, for those who are interested. Just do a search in the quick photo search area for your favorite type of plane.