Airports

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Macanudo, Jun 8, 2006.

1. indieMD

indieMD 25+ Posts

Another vote here for Boston Logan being one of the worst in the US. Have consistently waited 30 to 45 minutes for baggage pickup. Public transportation from the airport also leaves much to be desired.

Very, very impressed with the American Terminal at JFK and the train to express subway access to the city.

Surprised no one has mentioned Hong Kong's airport yet. The old one was terrible (although closer to the city), but the "new" (5+ years old) airport is beautiful/open/offers plenty of amenities and the train into Kowloon/Hong Kong takes less than 30 minutes.

2. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

3. indieMD

indieMD 25+ Posts

4. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

One additional airport you might want to consider if you are traveling to Europe is Munich's brand new airport.

Absolutely beautiful and efficient.

Check it out.
    The Link

5. MidTexHorn

MidTexHorn 100+ Posts

One airport that's a real disappointment to me is Albuquerque and it's for one big reason - it takes way too long to get to your rental car. They could have designed it like Austin, but instead everyone has to take the same bus to the rental car terminal or back, and it makes for very long waits. It took me 30 minutes to get my rental car this weekend, when it would've taken 10 in Austin at a busier airport. Other than that, ABQ has decent amenities but the pain in the *** rental car situation ruins it for me.

6. LonghornLawyer

Do NOT go through ABQ without stopping to get some green chile chicken soup from the stand by the Southwest gates. You can thank me later. [​IMG]

And I am not a fan of Munich from the one time I flew into there. There are too many remote stands (similar to Charles de Gaulle) and though the rental cars are in a garage adjoined to the terminal, the walk takes forever. Of course, the walk was lengthened by the fact that I took a wrong turn because the signage sucks.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

There is a BIG change in the making for those of you who rent cars at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas:

8. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

I avoid O Hare like the plague. I can not recall a decent connection through there. My vote for the absolute worse is Dulles. Try flying out on Sunday, its a mad house. Those damn people shuttles are the pits. As a plus the terminals are so out dated and lack any decent restuarants. The only plus are the Red Carpet clubs.Coming back to Dulles is even worse as it normally takes an hour after landing to get you luggage.

Got to agree Albuquerque is nice as are Charlotte, and Tampa. San Fran is good now that years of construction are done. Hate the shuttle to the rental cars though.

Honolulu is up there as my favorite US airport. Open air and easy access. Rental cars are right there, no damn shuttle.

Frankfurt is a pain as it is spread out and you go through numerous security points. Dubai is a great airport, cool British pub and huge duty free mall. Okinawa is also pretty nice. The Red Carpet in Narita is the bomb with its beer machines that tilt a perfect glass....

9. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Longhorn Lawyer --

Regarding Munich, did that happen to you lately (taking the God forsaken moving terminal bus)-- like within the past two years? The airport is brand new (I think less than a year) all enclosed within two terminals.

10. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

11. LonghornLawyer

I last flew into Munich in 2000. I believe that was right after the most recent construction.

I think my biggest problem was that I came in on BA, so we landed at a remote stand and had to take the bus in to the terminal. And once we got to the terminal and cleared customs, the rental cars were in the other terminal. I figured that out after about 20 minutes of wondering around aimlessly because the signage was so terrible.

Perhaps some of that (especially the signage) has improved.

All of the rental cars are centralized in a facility that is in one of the terminals. Unsurprisingingly, it is the terminal that is monopolized by Lufthansa. So in my experience, if you arrive on another airline, be prepared for a long walk. But once you get to the rental car facility, it is very nice and fairly efficient. And the cars are in a parking garage adjoining the facility.

With all that being said, the Besucher (i.e., Visitor) Park kicks ***. I love an airport that understands that some people just like to watch airplanes, and accommodates such people.

12. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

LL --

They finished a major renovation in 2003 that appears to have eliminated the Bus-loading nightmare. Again, I checked it out but did not fly into the airport. It just looked great.

I am flying through for business in a month of two and will post a report. If you are heading to Europe, it may be worth a trial. Also found this ranking – Top 10 in the World:

13. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

Mexico City's domestic terminal trumps every post on here for worst. It's crowded, about a mile in altitude, smoggy, hot, and no A/C. They use bullhorns to call for flights (even in the international terminal). Fortunately the international terminal is a lot nicer but it's a LOONG walk to your ticket counter from the domestic terminal. And nothing I've ever experienced is as nasty and inconvenient as making a domestic to international connection through that airport. You have to go past security, through the baggage claim (which of course is packed with travelers and every loved one waiting to say hello and to see off whomever is leaving), then make the mile or so trek to the international terminal by foot. No trams, moving sidewalks, carts, nothing.

St Petersburg in Russia is a close second. Of course it's hurt by the fact that it's in Russia, but does little to compensate. Moscow's airport is 10X better.

Best airports I've seen: Helsinki (but you have to go through passport control to cross to the Euro area of the airport which is where most of the facilities are), Cincinnati, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Washington National

Worst in USA: Miami and JFK. Nobody else even comes close.

I think Munich is vastly overrated. Their passport processing area is a joke.

A quick note - I think some airports are rated better by some and worse by others because of which airline you take. For example, I've never encountered the nightmare lines in Vegas described by most of you, largely because I can't fly Southwest there (which in that case might be a good thing). The Delta/Northwest terminal in SFO is a dump, but United's facilities are immaculate.

Keep in mind that at most US airports the airlines are responsible for the look and feel of the terminal. I think Delta and American's terminals at LAX are nice and that United's are crap.

14. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

15. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

First -- tons of gret info in here -- thanks for the posts.

16. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I flew into Minsk. It was a late afternoon flight. Building wise, it was not particularly impressive, but it was still a decent looking airport of moderate size.

But the airport was completely empty.

There were no shops, no one working the ticket counters, no workers scurrying around the tarmac, no janitorial staff, no sercurity. No one. It was like a story where you wake up and everyone else on the planet has disappeared.

This is no exageration...other than the other passengers on the plane, I saw exactly three airport employees. There were the two guys that drove the little trolley out onto the tarmac, then there was the one security/soldier who checked my passport. And, the first two workers had to track down the security guy when I told them I needed to have my passport stamped. By the time they found this guy and got me processed, the only car in the rather large parking lot was the one that belonged to my friends who had come to pick me up.

It was a very strange experience; airports usually are such active places.

17. jbusch

jbusch 25+ Posts

I was flying JFK -> SJC (JetBlue) Wednesday evening. It ended up being my worst flight experience ever.

(all times eastern)
    4:40 - arrived at the airport
    5:20 - bad thunder and lightning at the airport, a 'ground stop' is called
    6:10 - was supposed to take off
    9:15 - our plane showed up, after being diverted to an upstate ny airport, Stewart
    9:55 - boarded the plane
    10:15 - closed the door and waited on the tarmac, we're #90 in line for takeoff
    2:00 - finally took off
    6:20 - landed in Salt Lake City for extra fuel, as we burned too much on the tarmac
    8:25 - landed in San Jose, nearly 8hrs behind schedule
    9:25 - back at home

Surprisingly, most everyone was pretty calm on the plane, besides the one passenger who decides that they want off the plane about a minute before we take off. The flight attendant shut that person up quickly.

A lot of planes were screwed in that line though. Many had to lose their place in line to get more fuel, as they had burned too much taxiing. Our pilots didn't tell us that we'd be stopping for fuel in SLC, for fear of mutiny.

18. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

19. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

I was delayed so bad on an international flight out of JFK (to Zurich) that when we took off they told us to keep the shades down because it would be light soon. we left about 4-5 hours late.

it was then that I realized why TWA was called "Try Walking Across".

20. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Before you immediately starting laughing, let me post my situation.

My wife and I are spending ten days in Paris. This will be our first trip to Paris. We booked some cheap tickets on Air France direct to Charles de Gaulle from the West Coast.

So, I read the thread and looked at some Internet sites and the consensus seems to be Charles de Gaulle was constructed by Satan. Apparently it is confusing, poorly designed, populated by morons, etc.

I ventured to the Charles de Gaulle Web site. So the site does not work and has zero info about how to take the train to/from the airport, terminal layouts, etc.

Please stop laughing.

So, a couple of questions:

1. What is the story with the baggage claim? Is it a complete mess and difficult to find your bags?
    2. Where do you catch the train into Paris?
    3. How much time do I need traveling from Paris on the train to check-in for an International flight? We will be flying Air France.
    4. Is there any respite once you are inside CDG.

Many thanks.

21. HornInDub

HornInDub 100+ Posts

I'd say it depends on what terminal you are flying into. 2F is a nice terminal, easy to figure out, but the rest of Terminal 2 is somewhat of a clusterfuck, as mentioned here. I've flown into 2 of the terminals at CDG and although some of them look like they are 100 years old, you can still find the baggage claim easy enough. The train station (RAR) is in between eitiher Terminal 2F and 2D, or if you're on the other side of the road it's in between 2E and 2C. I don't think there is a train close to 2A or 2B, you'd have to walk through 2C or 2D to get to it. And I don't know about a train from Terminal 1 anywhere, but I've never looked...

I think the train is about 45 minutes into Paris. You'll want to leave plenty early and check the return train schedule in advance (like maybe when you arrive by train at your destination, since you'll be there already). I would plan on being there 2 hrs in advance. Especially if you are unlucky and your gate takes you to a bus to get to your plane...if you miss that bus, you just miss your flight...

Good luck

22. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

I'm flying into LGA next week and it'll be the first time I've ever flown into the city and not had a relative of some sort there to pick me up. So what's the best way for me to get into the city? Cab? Is there a train station nearby that'll give me access to NJ to meet up w/ some fam?

23. jbusch

jbusch 25+ Posts

There is not a subway that hits LGA. You aren't flying in for work, are you? If so, see if they have a relationship with a (town) car service. That's generally the nicest way.

If you do take a cab, get one at the taxi stand outside. Don't take one that comes inside the building.

24. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Is anyone familiar with the Montreal airport/public transportation? I am staying downtown at the Fairmont and am happy to take public transportation if it is easy.

25. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

I am flying into Montreal for the first time and staying downtown at the Fairmont. Any recommended way to get from the airport to downtown. I am happy to take public transport. Also, any surprises when flying out.

26. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Don't know if it connects to downtown from the airport or not but Montreal has a very nice subway system.

27. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Great NYT article on the problems at various European Airports.
    The Link

In reply to:

28. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

As far as the airport itelf, Newark isn't that bad considering the traffic, but there's never been a flight leave within 45 minutes of its scheduled takeoff time from that ******* place...

29. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I avoid Newark like the plague - it is impossible to fly in/out on time. The last time we were there, we sat on the plane for 3 hours due to congestion... this didn't sit well with my pregnant wife.

30. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts