Alamo Drafthouse - Never Again !

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by DRAG69, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

2. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Your first problem is that you're drinking Miller Lite. With all the great beer on the menu - you drink Miller Lite? Seriously?

3. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

4. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

I hate when I go to titty bars and there's all those naked women blocking my view of the tv.

5. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

These analogies don't make any sense. The Alamo Drafthouse is very unique, and some people don't like what makes it so unique. This isn't like bitching about naked chicks at a strip club.

6. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

Alcohol has a gigantic markup. That's not a secret.

7. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

8. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

The reason I like the Alamo is that they cater to their clientele. The owners are laid-back and the food is good. They don't try to screw their customers. The food is reasonably priced, as are tickets. Why do they need to screw their customers by charging for beer like it's Pangaea?

As to the posters comparing prices at the Alamo to the concession stands at the typical multiplex: the Alamo serves beer and food so they are a restaurant that happens to show a movie as entertainment. They break even on the movie tickets and make money on the food and beer. Their prices should be comparable to any other restaurant that serves burgers and pizza.

9. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

10. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

No, there are millions of strip clubs and they all have naked women.

11. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

...even though there are non-Drafthouse theaters in cities in other states, including this state, where you can order off a dinner menu and have a plated dinner with adult beverages while you watch the movie.

Regardless, the analogy works. Being able to order dinner and adult beverages at Alamo is one of the characteristics that defines the establishment and separates it from other establishments that display movies. Therefore, 'going to a strip club and complaining about the nudity' is a workable analogy because the nudity is a defining quality of the establishment that separates it from other establishments that sell adult beverages.

12. Longhorn_Fan68

This thread has made a turn for the funny.

13. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

Fine. Y'all suck.

14. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

15. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

Yeah, what gives. The only thing worse is admitting you had a Coors Light.

As for eating and **** at the theater, I don't really do it but I don't care about others doing it. I expect it. I also expect the prices to be off-the-charts. So going in, I'm cool.

16. LocoGringos

LocoGringos 250+ Posts

DRAG's post reminds me of when I was a screening rep for Universal. Now when you show the screening of a movie before it opens, the sponsors (radio station, etc) give out way more tickets than seats to ensure a full house. Sometimes, you have to turn a few people away, no big deal. The most over-booked screening I ever worked was at GC Highland, for, believe it or not, Half Baked. Theater was totally packed, so I had to turn away probably 75-100 people, which was a number way off the charts. Just as the last of the turnaways were dispersing, about ten minutes after the movie rolled, up shleps a car full of 17 year old flannel heads who had visibly been circling the block turbosmoking that last bowl or four before the movie started.

They were astonished to learn that there were no more seats left, and that they would not be provided admission to the flick.

"Dude, isn't there something you can, like, do? I mean, we like, drove all the way from Pflugerville!
    "

Sorry sport, next time get here earlier.

Now that I think about it, this story reminds me not at all of DRAG's post, I just wanted in on this thread.

17. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I love the alamo and at times I have had great experiences, especially at the downtown establishment.

In general I get annoyed by people. At other theatres they talk, lean too far back in their seats, put their feet up on the chairs, grab your chair as they are walking by b/c they can't hold their bladder for 90 minutes, check their text messages during a movie, laugh at scenes there shouldn't be laughing at (most recently in "there will be blood"), etc.

At the alamo you get a little less of most of that b/c of the design of the seats and aisles. I usually pick action films or comedies when I go there as to have a good time. What you do get though is people dropping beer bottles during the movie and hearing them roll down the floor, you hear people coughing up their food b/c their too freakin' fat to eat normally, getting up every 20 minutes to piss b/c they are drinking beer, etc. **** they even stopped King Kong for an intermission to allow people to burp, piss, etc and to me intermissions take away from films.

That being said i know what I am getting anytime I go to any public movie theatre and that is why I often choose to wait a few months, get the blu-ray version, and watch in my home theatre. And the price is way too high these days at any theatre. You can easily spend 30 bucks for 2 tickets, popcorn, soda, and candy.

18. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

19. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I love going to the Alamo Drafthouse. Love the beer selection and trying different ones. Love the food choices and have tried several different ones. Love the concept. Love the local connection.
    It is a bit pricey, but I don't feel nearly as bad as getting crappy overpriced stale popcorn and a $4 watered down Coke at a regular theatre.
    We don't go see movies anymore, we go to the Alamo Drafthouse.

20. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

21. Longhorn_Fan68

Let's summarize this thread: Alamo is greatness unless you're old, don't like to eat at the movies and don't want to spend any money.

22. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

I think this might be the most one-sided dogpile I've seen in years...

oh, and complaining about people eating at a dinner-and-movie theater is retarded.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

What does "being old" have to do with it? I'm not exactly a teenager anymore, and I love the Drafthouse concept.

24. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I've never been to the Alamo Drafthouse, but it sounds great. Food and a movie, all under one roof. Do they let you have sex, too?

25. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

Yeah, but it has to be with Paul Reubens.

26. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

27. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

I stand by my previous assertions. The AD is a novelty. Strip clubs are not.

28. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

29. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

A little behind but I decided to go with the wife one day we were both off to the Drafthouse in far west Houston. Hah, needless to say it was one of the worst experiences of my life. We ordered food, got so caught up in the movie we soon see the credits, never got the food, then got the bill right before the movie ended. Worst part was the little **** of a waiter had the balls to tell me he remembered delivering the food to me. I about lost it! Never again.

30. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I miss drive-thru movies. They were fun. Except for the ******* annoying cars that were always there. And you had to walk to the snack bar.