Alamo Trick plays

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Jan 3, 2020.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I might have missed it, but I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the two trick plays involving Duvernay and Sam. I thought both were excellent that were not executed as I am sure they were in Practice. Kudos to whoever drew them up.

The first was a fake reverse jet sweep with Sam going downfield after the hand off Duvernay did not try the pass because of the quick penetration that caused him to hold the ball for a loss. Sam was open and would have scored if the play had been executed.

The second was a slight varation. The play looked like a jet sweep but was a screen pass to Sam behing the flow of the sweep. Again, somebdy missed a block that resulted in a short gain. Sam had more blockers than the Utes had defenders and again , he would have scored if that initial block had been executed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The Utah D sniffed those plays out pretty well. I thought they were a pretty well-coached and disciplined team but they started falling behind and got a little punchy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I thought the plays we're good but I question the timing similar to timing of these plays all year long. We march down the field and start getting tricky inside the 30 which seems to rarely work as well as say on our own 40 trying to make something happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I’m optimistic for nasty lines on O and D next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

The 1st one was setup perfectly and we've run that play 3-4x this year successfully. Just missed the block or Sam walks into the end zone. Second one we has 3 blockers and let the guy slip between them. They were good calls and friggin block.

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

The trick plays though not very successful did their job. The whole reason you do those trick plays is to keep the defense from cheating. Slow their pursuit down and remind them of their *** and to not expose it.

For the most part, that is what happened. would have loved to score with them, but if the only result is keeping the defense from stacking the box and quick pursuit to the ball then they worked just as well.

• Like Like x 1