Alaska Cruise

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by HornHuskerDad, Jun 23, 2013.

1. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Just got back from the seven-day cruise up the Inside Passage. I have one piece of advice for you folks - if you haven't done this cruise yet, GO DO IT!!! The scenery is absolutely jaw-dropping. The highlight was sailing up the Tracy Arm Fjord to view the Sawyer glacier - it was stunning! The sides of the fjord are nearly vertical (I assume from erosion as the glacier advanced and retreated) and there are numerous waterfalls from the snow melt on the tops. And viewing the blue purity of the glacier ice is unbelievable.

Also took the tour on the White Pass and Yukon Route narrow-gauge railroad into Canada - used up another roll of film on this trip.

Ports of call were in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway in Alaska, and Victoria, British Columbia. Temps were in the seventies during the day and low sixties in the evening - nice contrast to the upper 90s with 70% humidity here in Texas!

Well worth the money - GO!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. UTDad

UTDad 100+ Posts

What cruise ship line did you use?

3. OweYou

OweYou 25+ Posts

Agreed. I did that same cruise several years ago and it was amazing. I took all these pictures and I remember getting depressed once I saw them since they didn't do any justice to the beauty out there.

4. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Wife and I did this same cruise in June 2012 it's allsome to say the least. We did Celebrity, mainly for their superior quality of food AND an all inclusive drinks package. It's also geared to an upper class clientel, not many kids running around, etc.

Whatever cruise line you do choose to go on though you MUST get a balcony. This is the one cruise where you'll want to spend the extra $$.

I would also advise a few days either before or after your cruise and tour either Seattle or the surrounding area (Olympic & Mt. Rainer National parks) San Juan Islands etc.