'Alfredo', long time LH BBSer, has passed away....

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by stabone, Mar 1, 2004.

1. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

[​IMG] ****. I enjoyed his posts. I wish his family well.

2. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

I remember his posts from that board as well. Seemed like a good man and a great fan. My prayers to his family as well.[​IMG]

3. JoshuaDesha

JoshuaDesha Guest

Family is in my prayers

4. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

He also posted on the PhxHorn thread in January: The Link

5. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Prayers to Alfredo's family.

I have read many, many of Alfredo's posts over the years. He will be missed by many 'Horn fans. [​IMG]

6. utvol

utvol < 25 Posts

PhxHorn and now 'fredo - man what a loss.

Alfredo was a good man to be around - smart as a whip, witty, and a fine fine Longhorn.

God rest his soul...

7. BRAGGonUT

BRAGGonUT 25+ Posts

Wow. This is terrible news. Alfred was a great Longhorn and a great man. I sure loved hunting with him too. This one is out of the blue. Jesus, we had dinner 2 weeks ago.

My thoughts go out to wife and his beloved dogs.

8. close to jumping

close to jumping < 25 Posts

Alfred was a tremendous guy. I enjoyed him as a net presence immensely. As solid as he was as a poster, he was an even more engaging guy in person.

Man. Tough 2 months for Longhorn Netdom.

9. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Very sad news.

10. kingdez

kingdez 25+ Posts

I recognize the screen name, but i cant remember any particular post by Alfredo, but i am very sorry to hear of his loss and my condolences are with his family.

11. The Texas Kid

The Texas Kid < 25 Posts

Alfredo was everybody's friend. Rest in peace, oh my brother.

12. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

Not good news at all. My sincere condolences to all of his family & friends. [​IMG]

13. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I enjoyed his company on the 360 board. Adios Alfredo.

14. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

15. jumanji

jumanji 25+ Posts

another veteran from the old days....these were my friends - 44 is too young to die...i will miss the guy and pray for his family.

16. Turn the page, Fred

Turn the page, Fred < 25 Posts

I got a chance to actually meet Alfredo (Al Koenig) about 3 years ago when I had a suit that settled, and Al was chosen by the judge to act as and ad litem for the minors. He seemed like a really nice guy. I had fun talking UT football with him.

17. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

Didn't know him, but sad news nonetheless.[​IMG]

18. beanhorn

beanhorn < 25 Posts

Green to the beach and god rest the Chris Robertson RTDB committee chairman.

RIP Alfredo...

19. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

He was a hell of a good guy and I looked forward to the old BBS get togethers with him at Mucky Duck. Another hunting and fishing buddy of mine wrote a poem to his friends from his death bed and having hunted with Alfred in the past, I would like to repeat it.

May your seas be smoother;
    Your fish be larger;
    Your birds fly lower;
    Your coveys rise before you;
    And, may you always remember the one that got away.

God Bless you and Hook 'Em Alfred.

20. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

Alfredo.

The light came early.

Far too early.

Vaya con dios.

21. Jamez

Jamez 25+ Posts

R.I.P [​IMG]

22. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

Very very sad to hear this. Prayers are with the family.

23. Horns_House

Horns_House 100+ Posts

So sad. [​IMG]

Condolences to the family.

24. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

****. That just . . . ****.

There are a couple of Canada geese honking outside my window as I type. I'm pretty sure he would like the sound.

We lost one of the good 'uns.

25. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Two losses in the Hornfans family in such a shot period. Many this stinks. God bless Alfredo and his family. He will be missed.

26. Texas

Texas 250+ Posts

What utvol said.

Godspeed, sir.

27. olehorn

olehorn < 25 Posts

I never met Alfredo, but I kinda think I would have wanted to be his friend.

In the old Austin 360 days, when everyone was foaming at the mouth about some trivial something, Alfredo seemed to be the only voice of reason amongst us.

At times like this, I always wonder why the good guys have to leave us early, while . . . . awww, never mind.

God bless, Alfredo.

[​IMG]

28. Matterhorn

Matterhorn 25+ Posts

Alfredo was one of the true old timers on these boards. He was a long time lurker like I was, and then became a more active poster. He was also apart of our group of 1999 registers to this site...we'll miss him.

29. HorninNorman

HorninNorman 100+ Posts

Such sad news. Age 44 is way, way too young.

It's always hard to lose a fellow 'horn, especially a fellow so young. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends, especially those on this board.

[​IMG]

30. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Some thoughts on Alfred.

To me Alfred was pivotal in putting my father and I in touch with many of the netizens following UT football on the Austin 360 site.

In 1996 he was one of the calmer members of the old Mac Hugger/Mac Hater battles --- internecine warfare which makes the current schism among Horn fans regarding Mack Brown look like a Cub Scout meeting. In the off season, he and Pat, who at the time posted as oneriver, organized a get together at an Outback Steakhouse during off hours in Northwest Houston.

That's where my father and I met such internet luminaries as Bobr, Baylor's Judge, A&M's Beck and Leardriver, OU's roserockmeteor, and many, many others --- about 30 in all.

Alfred and Pat were MCs for the affair, going so far as to hand out gag gifts appropriate to the personalities of various people present.

We kept in touch after that. Any time Dad came into town, it was de rigueur to meet Alfred for drinks at a local watering hole, where Alfred would go on and on about how the key to success for the Longhorn football team was to run the damn ball, and how recent actions had either met with his approval or been found wanting.

I remember during the Bataan Death March of a football season of 1997 inviting him over to listen to the Baylor game on the radio, since it was one of the few games not televised. Our collective cursing grew so loud eventually the neighbors investigated with threats to call the police. Alfred used his smooth courtroom cultivated gift of gab to explain the reasons behind our state of alarm. They never brought the authorities around, but to this day I don't know if it was because of Alfred's assurances, or due to our deranged state making us appear so dangerous we were better left alone.

The last time I remember seeing Alfred was at Star Pizza off of the SW Freeway in Houston a couple of years ago. Bobr had brought a bunch of us together during one of his trips in town. Alfred was his usual entertaining self, regaling us with theories on how we could run the ball better, intermixed with tales from the litigation front.

I always especially liked the ones where his defense was hopelessly shot to hell by the facts of the case, but his client refused to settle, thereby he would morosely go into exquisite detail about how exactly the opposing attorney was going to nail his hide to the wall.

The last time I talked to him was just a couple of months ago. He called to offer his support following my father's death. There was a great deal of mutual respect between the two. Alfred has always been an exceedingly generous soul, so it came as no surprise to hear him ask for me to enlist his help if there was anything he could do. I had looked forward to getting back to Houston so I could talk with him, and recount some tales of the three of us sitting around talking UT football for hours on end. I'm sorry that will no longer be possible.

No post about Alfred is complete without some mention of his wife, Julie. Without going into much detail, I can attest she is one of those rare head turners, who remains just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. During the times when she would join Alfred, Dad and I for these interminable several hour long conversations regarding football, it often fell to me to attempt to engage Julie in a topic other than UT sports --- since those other two self centered bozos would rarely deign to split off from their chosen topic.

More than polite, she was always a wonderful conversation partner. She has an animation about her, that allows every interest of which she speaks to be invested with its own energy. She would lightly jibe us about our obsession, which we wholeheartedly deserved. I always made sure Alfred was entirely aware of how much above his station he had married.

My thoughts at this time are not only about my loss of a person I hold dear, but also for her. I've never been one to dwell on the fairness of life, nonetheless, I always enjoyed being around the two of them together, and can't help but think on some level they deserved more time with one another than was given.

For any of us who have had the opportunity to forge close ties among people on the internet, only to meet subsequently, it is always a wonder how powerful a connection we feel that was founded upon these communications through the ether. I've had the chance to get together with Alfred at least 40 or 50 times since we first chanced upon one another on an Internet board in 1996.

Yet, some of my most powerful impressions still remain his long ago posts regarding wade fishing, dove hunting, or running the damn ball.

His exchanges were always infused with passion, and a sincere, almost naive belief in the best of his fellow man. Not that he had no capacity for cynicism. Let's get real. He was a lawyer. But that even through the professional veneer, or the sarcasm, it was always clear to me he genuinely liked people.

I'm not one to proselytize, so for those for whom faith is not a word that fits quite right, allow me to substitute fantasy. For in an ideal existence, I'd like to think that right now Alfred and my father are sharing a drink, Alfred about to erupt into another diatribe regarding how we need to run the damn ball, and Dad with that bemused look of his, listening intently, waiting for an opportunity to lightly play devil's advocate, perhaps simply to send Alfred into a paroxysm.

In the end, I'm so glad for the opportunity to share time on this Earth with Alfred. I only wish I had been able to spend a little bit more.