All of the Titans bandwagoning is ridiculous

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LONGHORNman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Man, it keeps going and going.

Anyway, I seriously believe that this blunder is going to hurt the Texans in ways similar to the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth.

Maybe not 80 years of misery, but 10 or more years would not be out of the question.

2. LONGHORNman

LONGHORNman 25+ Posts

I would rather the Texas Longhorns win the Big 12 South in 2007 than the Texans or Cowboys, Rockets, and Astros win it all every year for the rest of my life.

If I made anyone doubt that I would hold such a sentiment then I have failed to communicate my true feelings.

As a young child I was a huge Oilers fan up until about the time the Oilers declared their intention to leave Houston. Because of this I have retained an intense dislike of the Titans even though my interest in pro sports has withered away to almost nothing.

I truely don't believe that VY's success or failure in the pros will have much effect on UT's recruiting (although I wish him success.) Cedric Benson was a fan of Ricky Williams' career at UT not his pro career for example.

I suppose I walked into the counter points about Brady but the point is a solid one regardless, where did Leftwich play Marshal? who knows and who cares today. When someone mentions "Matt Leinart" in a season or two all anyone will think of is how the Cardinals are currently playing.

VY at the Titans wil probably help the Tennessee Volunteers more than the Texas Longhorns in a few years. Just as Chris Simms' love of the Dallas Cowboys no doubt played a role in his coming to Texas. One could make a credible arguement that the success of the Texans and the Cowboys is better for UT than the success of VY with the Titans.

Saying I hope the Titans (and by extension VY) lose every game is too harsh I'll readily agree the first time I read it in the thread I winced. I suppose I don't feel that way completely but I will never pull for the Titans to beat Houston or win the SB as long as Bud Adams is the owner.

I was accused of not getting it, perhaps those who were not weened on the Oilers don't get it.

3. LONGHORNman

LONGHORNman 25+ Posts

What do you all do when the Titans play the Lions?
    Do you root for the Titans because VY won a NC or do you root for the Lions because Roy Williams came back for his senior season?

Dose one of those make RW or VY a "better" Longhorn and more deserving of your affection?

I never said I was a better fan than anyone I said I was not going to accept being called a subpar LH fan for not pulling for the Titans.

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Leftwich, who?

[​IMG]

5. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

Former Oiler fan here. My dad had season tickets from 91-the end. Lost all interest in the NFL when the Oilers packed up. I am now a Titans fan

Texans fans: What have the Texans done to deserve support from the people of Houston? What moves have they made for anyone to support them? They don't get blind support from me just because they are in the city I grew up in (especially when they pass on 2 of the most dynamic players in CFB history and continue to pump out one of the worst teams in the NFL).

GO VINCE!!!!! GO TITANS!!!!!

6. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

7. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

I support the Titans over the Lions. I really want the guys on the Lions to do well, especially Rogers, who was one of my all time favorite Horns. But Vince is Vince. Again, if you cannot see why people feel differently about him, I cannot help you. He is the most inspiring player I have ever seen. Why I should forsake him for some business just because it plopped down in Houston and began force-feeding me some loser from California is beyond me. Vince is our favorite son. I will be a diehard fan of any franchise he is a part of. He has earned our loyalty. The Texans have not. Bottom line.

8. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

I have had a longstanding distaste for the Adams family. Bud Adam's dad, Boots Adams personally wrote the rules for the Panhandle oilfield and had the RRC adopt them. He was running Phillips 66 back then. The 30's. Those rules greatly favored the Majors over the Independents. In other words the Majors had more politicians in their pockets than the independents did.

Point being I have NO LOVE for Boots and the harm he did to the Independents nor any love for his son, Bud for firing Bum.

However, Bud has redeemed himself in my eyes for his astute judgement in drafting Vince Young, the most transcendent athlete I've seen since Roger Staubach.

I'm sorry that you do not share this feeling. For us that do, VY brings great joy on Sundays.

9. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

That SI cover says it all. Vince is the first player in I don't know how long to be all-world MVP in college with the potential to be the same in the NFL.

I suppose if Charlie Ward or Tommy Frazier made an NFL career of note they would qualify. More Frazier than Ward, really...

10. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I used to be an Oilers' fan when big Earl was there. Then, I sort of lost track of, and interest in, them, until last year. I started watching all their games on NFL Sunday Ticket because Bo Scaife was there and doing well (and he's one of my favorite Texas players). When they added VY and AH this year, I went from being merely interested to a rabid fan. My love for Texas players far outweighs any interest I have in any owner.

11. YouTeeAye

YouTeeAye 100+ Posts

You gotta root for VY no matter what. If VY invades your country, you lay down your arms and let him pillage as much as he wants. If VY mugs you in the alley, takes all your credit cards and sticks a skewer up your ******* before taking off, you wish him luck on his next stick-up. If VY wants your wife, you ... ok that's where you draw the line I guess. But you get the point.

12. UTFanMan

UTFanMan 25+ Posts

How many Cowboys fans pulled for the Titans against the Cowboys? Not one, I imagine.

Well I've been a Cowboy fan since 1966 and I was pulling for Vince and the Titans when they played. It was really a win win for me. BTW, the Titans have done all Cowboy fans a big favor by beating the Redskins and the Titans this year. Ya know, the Cowboys have won 5 SuperBowls so if it came down to Vince winning a Superbowl against the Cowboys, it wouldn't hurt me one bit to see Vince celebrate in the confetti again.

13. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

UTfanman, I was a die hard life-long Cowboys fan since they started in the early 60's. I can easily root for Vince and the Titans when they play against Dallas. My ideal world would be JJones sells the Cowboys to a Texan and Vince comes to Dallas to play.

14. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

15. UTFanMan

UTFanMan 25+ Posts

16. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

The Cowboys have always been my favorite team. The Oilers were my second favorite, mainly due to Earl playing for them when I first started following the NFL.

I've never lived in Houston. I got the idea that Bud Adams was unpopular. When he left for Tennessee, I figured he was kind of a dick. I really wanted to like the Texans. Then they blew it in the 2006 draft.

You know, if the Texans had drafted VY, they would be popular all over the state. If the Cowboys faltered, they would be in position to own this state. As it is, for the next 15 years every NFL fan in Texas outside of Houston will think the Texans are dumbasses. The greatest player in the game wanted to play for them, and they decided to stick with David Carr.

I really wanted to like the Texans. I'm going to enjoy watching VY establish dominance over them the next few years. Then it will get really, really old. In a few years all of us will be sick of talking about those stupid damn Texans passing on VY. Kubiak will be gone, Carr will be a journeyman backup somewhere, and VY will still be beating down the Texans.

Stupid damn Texans.

17. Gamblinrus

Gamblinrus < 25 Posts

I bet Mario dont tackle VY on Sunday. Go Titans and Go VY

18. gcsmithiv

gcsmithiv 25+ Posts

I was a lifelong Oilers fan. Grew up in Houston, my parents grew up in Houston, my grandparents grew up in Houston as well. Our family had season tickets to the Oilers and I did not miss a home game from the time I was 5 years old until the Oilers left. Hell, I attended the Buffalo meltdown with my pops in Buffalo as a kid.

Sure, I was pissed at Bud Adams...yea it was a dick thing to do. I stopped watching the NFL with as much interest as a result. However, I still rooted for the Titans in the Super Bowl. I was upset when they lost.

When McNair came along with the Texans I was here in Austin, but I still was excited for the team. I eagerly anticipated the uniform design, read up all I could on the plans, etc. But, I never really got into the Texans. It was probably because I no longer lived in H-town, or because I still felt tied to the TItans.

But when they passed on VY, I no longer cared for the Texans, and my love for the Titans was reaffirmed.

Bud Adams doesn't matter to me, Vince Young does.

In summation, f**k the Texans...go Oilers! [​IMG]

19. LnghrnCowboysGal

LnghrnCowboysGal 25+ Posts

I think it's funny Jerry Jones said point blank if the Cowboys were in a position to draft VY, they would have done so because, and I quote, "It's also a business." He also had this to say about him:

"It'd be real interesting, wouldn't it?" Jones said. "There's no doubt in my mind that when the opportunity comes for him to win it or make the play, he's maybe the best that's come through in a long time to actually do what you're paying for, and that's playing football at a position to win a game.

"He does turn it on, notch it up. There's no doubt about that. You've got to factor that in with all the other stuff. He's got the size, the athleticism, and boy, has he played in big games and won big games."

Now I didn't root for the Titans over the Boys. That's against my makeup. However it must have been like Eli and Peyton's mom felt watching their first game this year. It was an odd feeling, highly bizarre. Wouldn't wanna repeat. It was easy to cheer for Vince when he passed and root against Tenn when they ran. It was odd. I was like, "Don't hurt Vince!"

As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I thank God on my knees every day Vince didn't come to Houston. B/c then I would have to pull for them and that would have been sick. So I'm happy the way things have worked out. Go Cowboys! Go Titans (Ah, the irony of the old Oilers...).

I also find it obnoxious that since I live in Houston I should pull for the hometown team. I grew up a Cowboys fan. It's basically my family heritage, almost a religion. I don't know anything else. I don't remember anything else. Also, I remember my dad missed my very first birthday to watch the RRS. I'm Burnt Orange and Silver & Blue through and through. I don't judge others for what teams they pull for, niether should I be judged. It bothers me how many people have abandoned teh Cowboys b/c of Jones and the firing of landry. I have met Jones on several occasions and he's generous, and warm, and above all wants to WIN.

But Vince Young IS a legend, IS super-human (In my eyes) and deserves only the best support and belief that we can give him. Personally, it's all of my joy the Toxins screwed up again. I'll be there this Sunday in my VY jersey.

20. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

21. godzilatron

godzilatron < 25 Posts

22. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

LnghrnCowboysGal pretty much summed it up as far as vy can influence a loyalty. she woulda had problems if the texans had balls. now she can root for vy for mcnair not having balls.

current loyal Texans fans who root against Vincent Young have serious issues, they need therapy. they blame bud adams, but the hate is much deeper, consider counseling.

somehow they forget the stupidity of casserly, kubiak, and the owner who should garner more hate for not selecting young .... mcnair.

bud did no diff. than the colts owner, raiders owner, rams owner, etc. why hate on bud, when the city gave mcnair what bud was asking?

23. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

I can understand not liking an owner. I hated Jerry Jones for years for hiring Switzer. That was a slap to the state of Texas, worse than jilting Vince was, IMO. Lately I dont mind him anymore, especially since he hired Parcells. Finally he gave up trying to convince everyone he knew anything about football and brought in someone who does. Now, with Romo, the Cowboys are exciting again. I am not the true-blooded fan I was as a child, but I do want them to do well.

I can understand hating Bud for leaving town. It was ******. But now he has committed his franchise to my favorite athlete of all time. Second place on the list is in such small type it is hardly legible. If Vince one day became head coach of the Oklahoma Sooners, I tell you I would have a hard time hating them. Thank God that will never happen.

Jerry Jones got my grudging forgiveness for tempering his arrogance, and now Bud has got it for giving our hero a home. After all, pro football is a business, and you cannot hold eternal hatred to people for making business decisions. My fandom for VY, however, is eternal. Something has to give, so go Titans!

24. HornsN04

HornsN04 500+ Posts

This thread is great, and I think it should go to the Classics. That way we can look back on it a few years down the road and see where these 2 franchises go. I'm putting my money on Vince and the Titans.

25. DBtv

DBtv < 25 Posts

texans=agy ('nuff said)

OP screen name =irony

I pray for a career day for Vince.

St. Vince faking mario out of his jock on way to 99 yard TD, PRICELESS!

26. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I grew up in central Texas. Not in Houston. Not in Dallas. I guess I could have chosen any team in the league to root for, and I would not really have been a traitor. That said, I was always a Cowboys and Oilers fan. I wanted the two to meet in the Super Bowl every year. Some of my earliest football memories are of Sundays filled with Earl Campbell or Tony Dorsett TD runs.
    As I got older, the names on the rosters changed. Earl, and then Tony, hung up the cleats. Tom Landry was fired. The Oilers had their collapse. I headed off to the University of Texas. Even though our team wasn't very good, I was truly a Longhorn. A Cowboy fan. An Oiler fan. And a Longhorn
    . Something I will always be.

When the Oilers moved to Tennessee, I wasn't all that upset. I have never lived in Houston, so they didn't leave my town. And, a high school teammate and childhood was a backup QB for the Oilers/Titans during the transition years. Of course I could still root for them.

Fast forward a few years. When the Texans started out, I figured I would be a big fan. I hoped it would happen. Unfortunately, the Texans have flat-out sucked. Each year, I have hoped for real improvement, but it hasn't come.

Meanwhile, Vince Young carries the Longhorns to their first football national championship in my lifetime, and the Texans pass on him in the draft. We were all given a myriad of reasons why, all of which look incredibly foolish today. He is a transcendent player. Larger than life. He would have given a face to the Texans franchise, and would have been embraced by millions of true Texans. But the Houston Texans said "No, thanks. We know better."

That's fine, but I have no plans of ever being a Texans fan. They have done nothing to earn my loyalty. They don't bear the name of my city. They don't in any way represent my state. They don't even have any players from my University on their roster. On top of all that, I would rather watch any pee wee football game than the Texans on TV. They're abyssmal.

As a Cowboys and Oilers fan
    , I did root for the Titans to beat the Cowboys with Vince Young at the helm. I always will, and I'm proud of it. Vince Young is a Longhorn and so am I, and he embodies everything that I want associated with my University. [​IMG]

27. Show Horn

Show Horn 25+ Posts

seriously, this possibly could be the greatest thread on any site by anyone at any time in the history of any bbs.

I don't think i've ever enjoyed a thread more than this one. pure joy.

let me add one nugget of mine own:

The texans passed on VY, not the Cowboys. If the Cowboys would have passed on VY i'd have the same contempt for them as I have for the texans.

Since they did not and the dumbass texans did, I think I can legitimately still support my Cowboys when they play the Titans.

but, as a diehard horn and VY fan I will support the Titans over everyone else and most assuredly the dumbest sports franchise in the history of sports.

28. ut2010

ut2010 25+ Posts

I will never be a Houston aggys fan. It was cemented once they passed on the football mesiah himself. I see them becoming the Texas Rangers of the NFL. Willing to spend the money to win but somehow always fing it up. See their decision to give big money to Carr recently.

GO VINCE!

29. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Your "issues" with the former Oiler franchise and Bud Adams will consume you this Sunday when Vince defeats the Texans.

Make no mistake about it: this is an IMPORTANT game to Vince Young. Young wants to punish the Texans for not drafting him and he wants to show the City of Houston what he could have done for the Texans: fill Reliant Stadium with fans. He will accomplish both this Sunday.

One only has to review game films of all of Vince's "important" games at Texas to see that Young elevates his performance in big games. Vince is a winner.

30. TigOl'Bitties

TigOl'Bitties 25+ Posts

I love how the original poster stated quote "The Texans will win Sunday." Sounds a lot more to me like "God please let the Texans win so I don't have to my team lose to the guy we should have had to replace our assclown of a QB."