All of the Titans bandwagoning is ridiculous

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LONGHORNman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

2. savvy

savvy 100+ Posts

3. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

LONGHORNman,

I'm your target market, and I'm rooting for the Titans.

Bud was a dick for moving the Oilers. I wanted desperately to support the Texans when they arrived. Yet after all these years, I can't think of a single Longhorn who's been on the Texans roster. Obviously, some of the Horns they've passed over in the draft are now starters or legitimate Pro-Bowlers. To do it once or twice is excusable. To do it repeatedly is not. They never even bothered to add backup/role players/special teams guys from UT. It's like the org is thumbing it's nose at the Horn fans. Notice I haven't mentioned aggy.

When Detroit started picking up Horns, I took notice. When they added Roy and Cory to Shaun, I became a fan (didn't we have a few DBs in Detroit too?). I'd rather watch Detroit stink up the field than Houston stink up the field.

The Bears added Benson to Vasher, and now I'd rather watch a Bears game than a Texans game.

If the Texans had traded the #1 pick this year for several other picks, I'd be annoyed but I'd understand the need. The fact that they drafted a DE with the #1 overall pick is stupid. The fact that they passed over an extraordinary talent who was both a hero in the state (UT fans) and a hero in the city (Madison High), shows that they're not very concerned about developing a bond with fans in the state or even the city. It was a virtual snub to a huge number fans in Texas and even in Houston itself.

And it's not like we didn't see it coming. When they exercised the option on Carr, they sealed the deal. But they still could've traded the pick for a lot better results.

Meanwhile Bud f'n Adams was (in public statements) practically drooling over VY. Yeah, we hate Bud for moving the team, but he has the good sense to draft Earl and now VY. One team shows genuine appreciation for a local superstar while the local team compounds one mistake (Carr option) with another (not trading the #1 pick).

I guess in a league with a salary cap and revenue sharing, decisions like this don't hurt them in the pocketbook enough.

So what I'm left with is a football team in the city of Houston that 1) repeatedly underachieves in the area of personnel decisions, 2) seemingly consciously eschews players from the flagship university in the state (which is comprised of predominantly Texas HS kids), and 3) frankly, puts a poor quality product on the field.
    [​IMG]

Why should I still pull for "my" Houston Texans again?

Clean out the front office, respect the fact that they're playing in the state of Texas and the city of Houston just a little bit
    , put at least an average product on the field, and maybe I'll start watching again.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

This is the first pro game I look forward to viewing in years, including the super bowls. They just don't hold much interest anymore, with all the free agency, teams moving out in the middle of the night, stuff like that.
    I really don't see how anyone can feel a pro team represents their city, especially Houston, after the last Houston team left for Tennessee. Then there's the Rams, Dallas Texans, Cardinals, Raiders, Colts, probably more that have moved and left their dearly beloved fans in the lurch.
    So my only interest at this point is watching the UT players, and hoping they do well-I will tune in if Detroit, Chicago, or Tennessee happens to be on, that's about it.
    This Sunday's game is so enticing because of the Texan's failure to draft VY, and the aura of his homecoming, the interest of both UT and Texan's fans, the prospect of seeing a home advantage for the visiting team-it should be fun to see how it all turns out.
    The Texans really missed the boat on VY, and as seen on this thread, they alienated most UT fans, and failed to capitalize on a huge marketing opportunity. Go VY, Ahmard Hall, Bo Schife, Go Titans.

5. LocoGringos

LocoGringos 250+ Posts

This has to be the greatest thead in the history of the world involving the topics of "Houston" and "sports".

6. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

7. Orangeblood90

Orangeblood90 250+ Posts

"Also, I remember my dad missed my very first birthday to watch the RRS"

Well Gal, a dad has to hvae his priorities straight. Sounds like a great man. [​IMG]

8. 100yearHorn

100yearHorn 25+ Posts

My daughter's birthday is October 8. This problem crops up every year in my house. I will plan all future conceptions accordingly.

9. Gucci_Suit

Gucci_Suit < 25 Posts

I love:
    1.Jesus
    2.The Horns
    3a. My Family
    3b. VY
    4. Dallas Cowboys
    5. The Titans for drafting VY
    6. Maudies Regular Dinner

The Texans are on the same list as Aggy, BlowU, Ahmadinejad, and cat dander... things I wish did not exist.

10. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

VY produced the greatest sports night of my life for my alma mater, a team i suffered with my entire life since i was a child. Im from houston but the texans have been around for only 4 years, im an old oilers fan, you develop these loyalties as a child, its too late for me now, im a VY guy and will root for the texans...

11. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

VY produced the greatest sports night of my life for my alma mater, a team i suffered with my entire life since i was a child. Im from houston but the texans have been around for only 4 years, im an old oilers fan, you develop these loyalties as a child, its too late for me now, im a VY guy and will root for the titans.....

12. Steinbeckford

Steinbeckford 25+ Posts

well, which ones is it general? texans or titans? [​IMG]

13. godzilatron

godzilatron < 25 Posts

14. TigOl'Bitties

TigOl'Bitties 25+ Posts

Godzillatron:

Your right there are no similarities whatsover. Bad coaching, out of whack expectations, a blundering administration (or front office), and continued under performance on the field. How could anyone every draw a parallel between the two????

15. Steinbeckford

Steinbeckford 25+ Posts

Wait a second. These "true Texans" fans are starting to rub-off on me. Yeah, I'll blindy support a brand spankin' new expansion team that has repeatedly, year in and year out, underwhelmed me. Yeah, I'll support a team that is run by douchebags wearing maroon-tinted glasses. Yeah, I ... no wait...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

I'm sorry. I thought I could do it, but I can't. My sanity is taking over now.

Texans?

[Allen] We talkin' bout the Texans?!?! [Iverson]

PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Give 'em HELL Vince!

16. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

aggies are a joke
    nfl texans are a joke
    carr is a joke
    nfl texans are looking at this as their superbowl = loser mentality

aggies = nfl texans nuff said

vince is superman, even as a rookie.

on a serious note, when vince can shake the brainwashed cult of a true aggy, that is superman. visit texags and see the few threads about vy doing well. there are a few still bashing him, but more are praising him for what? his play on the field.
    The Link
    The LinkThe Link

17. PanzerDSS

PanzerDSS 100+ Posts

18. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

Maybe you need to take Horn out of your title.

Vince is the greatest in the last 35 years of Texas football. kapesh?!

19. Texas_Angel

Texas_Angel 25+ Posts

I have to admit, this thread put me over the edge and made me a full-fledged fan.

No, not a Texans, fan, silly- I don't live in Houston anymore, and that surely would be the ONLY reason to have any kind of weak "loyalty" (and I use that term loosely) to a crappy expansion team with an even crappier front office run with an Aggie mentality and that spurned the greatest homegrown Longhorn legend ever.

No- this thread finally made me see the light, let go of my dwindling and deep-seated Bud Adams grudge, and finally jump on the Titans bandwagon. I realized that hating the Titans only does two things: (1) means I'm hating VY, by extension (because the Titans' success and VY's success are one and the same), and (2) means I'm acting like a brainwashed Aggie, letting my hatred for a pro football OWNER outweigh my love for a FELLOW HORN.

It's really a no-brainer. GO TITANS.

20. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

I WAS an Oiler fan. I AM a Vince fan. I AM a Titans fan.

21. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

22. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Tennessee Titans,
    Tennessee Titans,
    Tennessee Titans number 1.

23. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

LONGHORNman you have balls and I agree with you 100%

Casual football fans jump from team to team because they like "players" not the "team".

We don't need those kind of fans, they can buzz off.

Bud Adams will always be a bastard.

Show some spine and stay off the bandwagon.

24. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

25. LONGHORNman

LONGHORNman 25+ Posts

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Wizard. Although my role as Hornfans.com's Darth Vader (to PanzerDSS's Obi-Wan, geek here loved the reference) of the week appears cemented.

I just posted what I thought and thats that.

I will be pulling for the Texans Sunday, lets hope that roaming gnome of a human being Bud Adams doesn't get a victory over Houston the city he screwed.

If the Texans do win I dare not post here as I can only imagine the reaction then [​IMG]

26. LocoGringos

LocoGringos 250+ Posts

27. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

28. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

29. Steinbeckford

Steinbeckford 25+ Posts

Nice. 5 stars.

And LonghornMAN, even if the Texans manage to win Sunday, it won't matter. They will continue to suck while the Titans will strive to do better. You are just hoping right now that a rookie VY doesn't sweep your beloved Texans. That in and of itself is enough for me to just sit back and grin at the whole situation.

30. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Anyone who regularly went to Oiler games and now Texan games really know the difference in the ownership.