Alligator in Town Lake?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hornian, Oct 3, 2007.

1. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Woke up this morning to some DJs arguing if there was an alligator in Town Lake. One claimed she saw one when she was there with her dog, the other called her an idiot.

Then a bunch of callers called in claiming to have seen one before.

I've never seen nor heard of an alligator in Town Lake, but I think it would be cool if there was one. Anyone know if there is one or are people just generally full of ****?

2. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

you ************

3. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

4. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

i fish townlake in my kayak consistenly about 3 days a week for the last year. i've paddled every inch of town lake. and when i fish, i am diligently looking into the water, at the water, banks etc. i have NEVER seen anything remotely looking like an alligator in town lake. i talk to many other kayak fishermen who fish TL as much or more than i do. never have they seen an alligator either.

i seriously doubt that there is one in town lake. the kayak fishermen would surely have spotted it by now.

closest thing i've seen is huge schools of gar swimming between red bud and mopac. that and the occasional snapping turtle and snake are the only things that are remotely dangerous in town lake.

i say no way. she's an idiot.

5. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

that's what you get for listening to the radio.

6. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

It's not an alligator, it's a bat-poo mutant ninja turtle.

7. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

What about snakes, crash? I have seen some of them but so far only water snakes of the non-venomous kind. Though I am sure there are moc' s in there. Just have not seen them.

I do think there is a fresh water croc in Town Birdy Lake. Not really though.

8. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Town Lake? It's "Lady Bird Lake" you inconsiderate ********.

9. mantaray

mantaray 25+ Posts

I kind of like "Towny Bird Lake" myself.

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky 25+ Posts

someone maybe mistaking an alligator gar near the surface for an actual alligator, but an alligator in town lake is entirely possible

11. rage-a-holic

rage-a-holic 250+ Posts

are we talking big *** alligator gar? cause those things scare the living **** out of me

12. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Well I run through the kitchen looked in the paper
    Said, "Oh God Almighty, mama, there sits a gator,"
    Come on, come on
    Every other day I got a gator on my lawn

Well you dropped your groceries in the kitchen sink
    Went to work and made the bathroom stink, come on, come on

Well I jumped out of bed run across the street
    Asked my neighbor said, "Where's my meat?
    I had a red raw steak can't find it anywhere"
    He looked at me and said, "What the hell do I care?" come on

Yeah I run in the kitchen looked in the paper
    Said, "Oh God Almighty, mama, there sits a gator,"
    Come on, come on
    Well every other day I got a gator on my lawn

13. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

14. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

alligator gars are not that common as other kinds of gar.

she prob saw a nutria or a big *** snapping turtle. i've seen some big turtles. i caught one a few weeks ago slowly bouncing a creature bait off the bottom. he broke loose at the yak. good thing cause i didn't know what i was going to do w/ him.

and yes, there are snakes but you see them towards sunset. i've had one try to climb in my kayak. a not so gently swat to the head with my paddle discouraged him.

and yes it's entirely possible that there is an alligator in town lake, but it's probably the same possibility that greg davis is a genius and is just misunderstood.

15. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

16. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I can't speak to the whether there is or isn't, but Town Lake is certainly well within the habitat range for gators. I live very close to Lake Belton and there are gator spottings here as well as at Stillhouse Hollow, and up the Lampasas.

18. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

A good way to tell is to dress up as a Nutria and swim around.

19. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

From Amos 'n' Andy on the radio:

<The Kingfish> " Ah not only resents de allegation, ah resents de allegator" <The Kingfish>

[​IMG]

20. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Is a Nutria hat expensive?

21. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

22. TouchdownTexas

TouchdownTexas < 25 Posts

I heard on the radio the other day that Killer Bee's had arrived. Everyone watch out.

23. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

She probably saw Oatie, the Town Lake Monster.

24. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

I was on Texas Crew for a while... and I remember hitting Nutria in the lake all the time with our boat...

25. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Aren't gator-lings like a couple bucks at those weird parks? I'm shocked nobody has released a few yet.

26. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

young alligator's usually cost between 30 and 60 at a reptile swamp. I used to have a pet alligator when I lived in IL. I will say most people I know do eventually 'return' their pet alligator to a natural habitat after time. Most don't buy them with the intention to just dump them in a lake. Normally it is just that they are tired of having a gator. You can do a fair job of controling their growth rate. I had one friend who was from Mississippi and intentionally fed his gator a good bit to get him big enough to release. Took him to a swamp and let him go.

27. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

Does being somewhat domesticated for a certain amount of their formative years impair a gator when put into the wild? I know that most predators it does and there is a fine line of what age is acceptable to release or keep in a preserve.

28. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

29. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

C. L. I don't know about how much these small gators instincts are impaired. The couple I knew were fed live fish too, so they had to 'hunt' them in their tanks. These of course weren't large aquariums or anything, but they did have to go after the fish. We would just get them goldfish to chase. Now goldfish aren't very nutritious, so beyond that the gators ate puppy chow which is very healthy for them.

30. HornGrandioso

HornGrandioso 500+ Posts

Alligator gars aren't scary... Oh wait,
    [​IMG]

HOLY ****!!!!!!