Altidore staying in MLS - surprised?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SyracuseHorn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

It looks like Jozy will not make a move to Europe during the January transfer window. I assumed he'd be a target in Spain or Italy, but it didn't happen.

With World Cup qualifying coming this summer, maybe it's the best thing for him. He wouldn't see the field much in Europe right now. At least with NY he's going to play a lot.

On the other hand, 2 seasons in Europe would really improve his game for 2010. Recalling him for qualifiers would be difficult, though, and might reduce his playing time with his club team.

Will he make the jump before or after the World Cup?

2. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

I'd rather him play in the MLS than sit on the bench like Feilhaber. Plus, I'll get to see him play more on TV.

3. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I'm not surprised because it'd be difficult for him to attain a work permit in England.

Italian teams are limited to 1 non-EU purchase a season, and I think most teams would have used it from last summer.

In Spain, teams are allotted 4 non-EU spots on the 25-man registered roster so that may have played a role as well.

I think very soon you could see Michael Bradley going to England. Apparently he already has 15 goals this season.

4. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

Yeah, Bradley seems to be turning into a fantastic player. Eleven goals thus far in the Eredivisie (15 in all competitions) is definitely getting it done.

He's listed as a striker on Heerenveen's roster. Is he actually playing up front, or is he playing in the midfield?

5. HogsSuck

HogsSuck 25+ Posts

I can see Bradley going to Germany. Altidore could use one more MLS season, then go to a Italian or Spanish club that he can see the field for.

6. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Not surprising, really. I think the published interest from Real got his name around a lot and I expect a move this summer (late in MLS season), though in-season transfers are pretty rare for MLS. Hell, any transfer getting approved is pretty rare for MLS.

I really hope he goes to Spain, Italy, Holland or Portugal. The dream move would be Benfica, though they're more in need of proven players than young guys with potential. Maybe they'll sell Cordoza and buy Jozy as a replacement.

The worst move for him would be to a fringe relegation zone team in the EPL. While his game is suited for the EPL, he'd improve a lot more in a more technical league. The chuck-and-run tactics of 3/4 of EPL teams does nothing in terms of developing players.

Bradley is currently the best American playing abroad. He's playing CAM for Heerenveen, even though he's put into a much more defensive role for the US (c'mon, dad!). His goals have mostly been the scrappy, late-charge into the box, right-place-right-time variety, though a few of them have been excellent finishes. They all count the same though and he's knocking them in with regularity, which is a skill players either have or don't have. Pencil him into the American midfield for the next ten years.

Everton have come calling, but he supposedly wants a transfer to Italy. A move to Milan or Juve would be incredible, and from a few rumblings I've read, not all that unlikely. Both teams are in need of youth, and while they usually go after big names, they also buy a few young diamonds in the rough.

Bradley's good value at around 3M pounds (the rumored Everton interest). I'm afraid a move to Everton, while not a bad club with a very good manager in David Moyes, would mean more of a DM role, as they already have Arteta, Cahill, and probably Manuel Fernandes.

He's bound to go this summer, as he has been stalling on a new contract, which he's in the last year of. Heerenveen is contending for a CL spot, and thus he won't leave this winter, but they've gotta get something for him. At this rate he'll end up with 20+ goals, which is pretty astounding for a 20-year old 2-way midfielder.