Alumni Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Feb 7, 2016.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The Longhorns win against a quasi-Alumni squad 4-0.

While still a nice event, with other things offered beside the game itself, the Alumni Game has really been diminished over the years.

It started out with a large number of Alumni players available, for a usually pretty spirited contest. Roger Clemens would be the starter and the first pitch would always sail over the head of the Longhorn leadoff hitter to the backstop on the fly. The Alumni players would play to win back then, now they don't take the game very seriously.

Most pro organizations don't want their players participating in this game, for fear of injury. There aren't enough Alumni position players to even fill out the eight position slots in the field. So they don't even play nine innings, just five innings, that is followed by a three inning Longhorn scrimmage.

Time marches on, but not always for the better.

Game summary link.

Texas Longhorns Athletics - Baseball shuts out Alumni, 4-0

2. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Sometimes, tradition marches to the beat of a different drummer.

3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

The alumni game used to be an absolute blast. I remember back in the early 90's when they'd sell player worn unis, cleats, memorabilia, etc. One year I bought official new team cleats for $10 and picked up three different unis (including pinstripe) for under $100.

The whole event was spirited and the game was highly competitive. It used to be a big deal to committed Horns baseball fans when the current players won.

The game I saw yesterday had little resemblance to what this used to be. I fell asleep in the 4th without even being hungover or tired. :smile1:

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Maybe not hungover or tired, but definitely old!