America is lost...

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Sheldon Cooper, Nov 7, 2020.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Well..they say they want to destroy the nuclear family. So, maybe they've broke up a few families??

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Illinois’s Proposed ‘Fair Tax’ Gets Its Just Deserts

This is true Liberalism. But Liberals think with their feelings (read: Bleeding heart Liberal) and focused instead on Trump's personality. I consider that to be extreme mental weakness in the face of reality. Their progressive ideas are economic destruction. There is no doubt about this because we have the proof.

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Senator Whitehouse Slams FBI for Lack of Transparency around ‘Tanked’ Kavanaugh Sex Assault Probe

It may be a little early but the Kavanaugh attacks continue unabated. The article cites a comment made by the Senator alleging that Kavanaugh would gut ACA. If you've read the new this week, Kavanaugh is now being seen as supporting the remaining provisions of ACA along with Roberts.

Kavanaugh, Roberts Suggest They Won’t Strike Down Affordable Care Act In Supreme Court Hearing

We'll see how the vote turns out. But if they support ACA, then it will AGAIN prove that these two jurists are real jurists and not made as instructed such as Sotomayor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

All my posts are direct proof that Liberal propaganda is a lie intended to prey on the emotions of those who have deep personal hang-ups.

The Left was OFFENDED by Trump talking about sh*thole countries. Here's one:

Police crackdown rocks top Mexican tourist resort

6. RainH2burntO

I'll take this a step further, By, and say liberalism...not just politically but personal liberalism is mostly or partly responsible for our lack of words/meaning/usage.
    See, how this works is a soul seeks liberation from all things....except what they desire, want and accept...They twist and mold and shape words to form the reality they are most comfortable with, and thereby.. over time...lose the very meaning of language...as well as the ability to effectively reason and communicate.
    Most Americans don't even know what is being said nor why half the time....even if it's their own voice speaking.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This morning my 16 year old daughter told me about a political discussion she had with her best friend (17 year old senior; my daughter is a junior). The senior said, "#BLM has nothing to do with the riots. It's anarchists or government agents." My daughter detected some tension and quickly bailed on the conversation.

:(

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Free speech is no longer free. Your daughter was smart to exit, but she needs a new best friend.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's the shame of it. She's a great girl. Very respectful, studious and fun. But then this comes out. I don't know her parents.

Just FYI on the demographic: both girls are white and attend a wealthy Christian (and I mean Christian) private school.

The real sh*t about it is that reacting forcefully and emotionally is being taught...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I disagree. I expect that the squad will still push the edge on the left but they won't significantly drive policy. We will see.

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I would say it was stunning you believe that, but frankly I'd be stunned if you didn't believe it.

RINO Senate may block a lot of it, but that far left faction of the Democrat party in Congress will try to push its "progressive" agenda.

12. RainH2burntO

So many things I could say....
    First of all...I'm sorry...for all of us..
    That's all.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What I find funny is that these institutions that are proudly progressive and care about the less fortunate largely screw their TAs and adjuncts even though they are often doing the bulk of the work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Is anyone aware of any analysis of higher education spending? Based on my experience with 2 sons in college, campus visits to >20 private and public universities (primarily WA, OR, CA) the immense costs are not related to professor salaries but rather facilities improvements. The capital expenditures into new buildings (dorms, office and athletics and teaching space) is immense. 3 years ago I walked the U of Oregon campus and counted no less than 8 buildings being constructed or remodeled simultaneously. I've seen glamourous new dorms, immense student union buildings, nearly every campus had glitzy recreation centers with giant climbing walls, pools in the shape of their logo, multiple hot tubs and saunas. The dining halls for these schools boast gourmet food. Honestly, the amenities these schools now offer compared to when I attended the U of Washington in the mid-90's is the difference between a 2* hotel in Lubbock and a 4* in Dallas. Something happened in college costs that forced colleges and universities to go on a capital spending spree to compete for students. Facilities are now major differentiation and what each school pitches on their campus visits.

I know we've previously discussed here that the volume of student aid given out by the Feds gave allowed schools to go on this facilities binge. Are there any studies that confirm this viewpoint?

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

There have been some instances in the past six months or so where they have allowed some construction people to gain new work...

Granted, that new work only existed because OF the terrorist ways, but still...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mb
    that is truly making lemonade out of rotten lemons.
    :bow:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You are correct. It isn't just professor salaries. It's not even the bulk of it. It's facilities, programs, and administrators, etc., and like I mentioned earlier, TAs and adjuncts get paid very little even with sky-high tuition.

There have been some studies related to the impact of student loans and available credit on tuition. Here's an article discussing some of it. Link. Frankly, the availability of huge amounts of credit at below market interest rates is only part of the problem, because it's what enables the problem. The demand is also an issue. I'm a big believer in prioritizing trade programs in high schools. Students shouldn't have to choose between college and aspiring to be the night manager at a Wendy's.

It's the classic third-party payer with unlimited resources problem - same thing that happens with health insurance and pretty much all insurance. The body shop that charges you $400 in cash to fix your fender will charge your auto insurer $1,000 for the same work.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Yes, we need to bring back high school trade programs. Sadly, the assumption that everyone is a fit for college is bunk. Yes, the vast majority of our kids should be college bound but trade school are viable alternatives. Plumbers, Electricians and similar skilled labor will be needed for the foreseeable future. My eldest son told me just the other night that he was shocked at the income of his roommates' dad, a plumber. For many kids, that a much more viable future than taking on enormous debt for a college education that isn't a fit or worse yet is never finished. At my son's HS the district has a goal that every student in the district completes an AP course by graduation. Seriously. There are Special Ed students that have no hope. What I've seen is that the kids that have no interest in continuing their education from a HS in which 90+% go on to college the next year all go military. They all enlist as it seems to them the only option.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker?
    Any other Trump hater on here, are you in favor of this^?

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm a CPA. I think they should provide a 2-year Accounting degree. Typically you only need 30 or so core hours to be able to walk out and actually be of some use day one. The other 30 hours could be complementary classes; finance, a little econ, business software like Excel and maybe an English class to bone up your writing and there you go. In 2 years you can start working and if you have to borrow, it's 50% of what it would have been. The only tricky part are natural pre-requiste classes. Accounting 1, then 2, then Intermediate 1 & 2. That's four semesters right there and you can fill in the rest.

But no... they want you to take the other stuff and that's not what the market is asking for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I have an accounting degree from Texas. I was an average student. I can guarantee you 30 years later that I didn’t need the other courses required to understand accounting. I learned more about accounting when I did my first startup than 4 years at McComb. Burn it down. It’s a scam.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Go to 3 year degrees for most degrees except STEM, or give greater credit flexibility for HS folks who took HS dual credit or AP classes. In many cases, half of your college credited classes in HS don’t count towards your major. That’s BS.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If President-elect Biden shuts down the US economy, the Dow would drop nearly 4,000 points: strategist

President elect Biden is on the precipice of the unknown. His campaign rhetoric, which he viciously used against Trump: "We're dying with it" actually means this:

A total lock-down' that's what he should do or else he's a liar.

And what people WORKED for all their lives (savings) will be gone and we will be the most dependent class of Americans since the 1930's.

And what will we be dependent on? A government who's finances are worse the Greece.

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

But they need mo money!

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Three years would be fine by me too. Four years is ridiculous. The money is stupid. But it's a cartel in the sense that a degree is very valuable TO THEM because they know we need one to get a decent job. The sick part is that most kids out of school need lots of time to be useful.

28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Indoctrination is hard in 2 years, especially if you only take accounting and business classes. Plus a lot fewer dollars in educrats pockets. It's a no go.

• Like Like x 1
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yep, as some smart guy involved in the Pennsylvania election process said, Math doesn't lie. Accounting is accounting. The rules is the rules. No indoctrination.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here Carlson says Biden will be owned by the corporations
    Good segment
    I think the part at the end about "unhappy rich ladies" may have been a direct shot at Kathryn Murdoch

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020