American Dream Is Elusive for New Generation

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by gecko, Jul 8, 2010.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

An interesting and disturbing read from the NY Times

I wanted to wail on th kid for turning down the Hanover job, but I kind of see his point about holding out for the right situation.

I wanted to lecture the parents for "over providing" until I realized I'm as guilty as they are.

I wanted to wail against Obama (well, not really) until I realized this has been building for probably a generation.

2. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

not all that disturbing. He is well educated, very fortunate to have a great family/financial support system and is actually turning down jobs that most 24 year olds would kill for. He will land on his feet.

This guy has it made. Way more than most 24 year old american men. I know it's easy to feel sorry for one's self in bad economic times, but come on. Look around.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Serious question. What should one expect to do with a Political Science degree?

4. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

5. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Yeah I don't see the "elusiveness" of the American dream here. That kid needs to get out there and work a 40-hour per week job, whatever it is. That will leave 128 hours per week to eat, sleep, exercise, take more school, and do his job search. People all over the world are doing just that. If he's gainfully employed somewhere I think most potential employers would be much more interested in him. That kid needs some direction from his parents who've coddled him too long.

6. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

my kids are actually 1/2 Arab and thus 'minorities.' I am ready for the rich white ******* to start handing over their money to my kids. Come on Obama! Get my kids their money!!!!

7. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

He was offered and then turned down a job that would have paid him more than enough to live. What exactly are his job skills again, the ones for which he expects to earn over $20/hour? Would they consist of excellence in essay writing, mastery of test-taking, and proficiency in analysis of texts on the reading list according to professor opinion? A liberal arts undergraduate degree is evidence of the ability to perform rudimentary thinking and writing and of the ability to persevere for at least a few years in some endeavor. It is not a qualification for a top job; it is a tool to help land an entry position or specialized education/training.

Times are tough, but this kid (a) does not seem overburdened with targeted job skills, (b) did get an offer, and (c) appears ignorant of the fact that his life so far represents the realization of his forebears' American Dreams.

8. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

9. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

There's an old joke -

What's the first thing an accounting major asks you?
    How much does it cost?
    What's the first thing an engineering major asks?
    How does it work?
    What's the first thing a Political Science major asks you?
    Do you want fries with that?