An amazing service for D Gus

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by sua sponte, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

For those of you who couldn't attend, Deron Gustafson's funeral service today was amazing. Many ,many former baseball players were there.... too many to list. Roger Clemens literally started his PC with condolences to Cliff and regrets that he couldn't be there . Deron must be smiling at the face time he got on global television !!

In an amazing display of strength, Cliff got up and delivered a 15 minute eulogy to Deron. Eulogizing one's own child has got to be the hardest thing a man can do.

If any of you that were at the service want to weigh in with a thought, I am saving a couple of these threads for Crosby Gustafson, Deron and Julie's 5 year old daughter, to read when she is older. She won't have many actual memories of her Daddy, which saddens me.

2. Night Train

Night Train < 25 Posts

Agreed Sua, wonderful service. Tremendous support from family and friends.

I'm with you, I have no idea how you eulogize your own child but Coach Gus stood and delivered like few humans could. Very impressive. I also enjoyed his description of Deron's relationship with Crosby. In my discussions with Deron I found the same to be true, he was very proud of her and loved her very much.

Most of all I was pleased to hear of Deron's salvation. The pastor mentioned this several times, this was quite encouraging.

Secondarily, like you, I was impressed with the turnout and support from former players. I went with my parents and older brother (played 85-87). It truly felt like a who's who from the past. I grew up watching a lot of those guys play baseball on ESPN back when college baseball was the most exciting thing they carried. The best feeling was knowing that they were there because they love and respect Deron and the Gustafson family.

Continued prayers for Julie, Crosby, Coach and Ms. Gus and the entire family.

3. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

Night Train, well put.

4. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

I talked to someone tonight who was there. After hearing the names of those who attended, I really wish I could have made it. The thing that made me happiest was hearing that Sweets and his boys were there.

As a parent of 3, I must say that Coach Gus realized the greatest fear I have. Burying a child. I cannot comprehend trying to deal with the pain, much less give a eulogy. The strength shown by Coach Gus today will amaze me forever. If I could have but 1 wish for this life, it would be that I pass from this world before my wife and children. But if this wish is not granted to me, I will take the inspiration and example that Coach Gus has provided on this day to give me the strength to carry on.

God Bless the Gustafson family.
    Hook 'em.
    ND

5. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

Yep, Caoch Bethea, Scott and Steve were all there . Great people all.