An update from Honduras

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horns2005, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

I'm currently in Tegucigalpa (three weeks with a brief interruption to go to the islands), and since supposedly ex-president Zelaya is making another attempt to re-enter tomorrow, I thought I'd shed some details.

First off, for those worried about tourist areas, Ceiba, Roatan, Tela, etc., there is virtually no sign of any sort of danger, protests, etc. I haven't been to Utila or Guanaja but I assume it's about the same. There is a small H1N1 worry though.

As far as Tegus goes, there is very little that's interesting either. The protesters were active about two weeks ago. Their main targets seem to be Popeye's Chicken and Burger King, no joke, got pictures to prove it. Three stores apiece with busted windows, and one Popeye's burned down. McDonald's and Pollo Campero were completely unharmed. There have been bomb threats to all the local newspapers, but most of the people I talk to don't think the pro-Zelaya people have the resources to pull anything of that nature off. There is a lot of political graffiti, which are likely both paid for by political sides. The two most common are "Mel Ladron Narco" (Mel Thief Druglord) and "Fuera Golpista"... "Renato"(the Catholical Cardinal), "Gorilleti" (for Micheletti), "Elvin" and "Pepe"(the two main presidential candidates for the next election).

Overall though, almost everyone I talk to has lost interest. It's not "de moda" to talk about anymore. Well, other than my brother-in-law's gringo US history teacher. Anyway, that's all I have to report.

2. gdavis

gdavis 250+ Posts

3. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Organizent Obama wouldn't begin to know how to defend Freedom.

Very shameful that any country in this hemisphere defends freedom and democracy more than America. However it is truly inspiring to see a tiny country like Honduras do it and in so doing sticking it to the Man, Obama. Go Honduras!

4. Septimus

Septimus 250+ Posts

Obama has to speak up for his fellow Marxists.

5. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

I'm back in the states.

That "suspension" doesn't really matter right now. Honduras fired the secretary in charge of certifying passports and residency cards, so it's likely going to be until January 27th (when the new president gets elected) before Honduras has someone who can deal with international affairs anyway.

I will say this. Despite Zelaya being extremely unpopular right now, the interim president Michelleti is equally unpopular right now. If Michelleti's protege, Dr. Mendoza, gets selected over the much more popular Elvin (Zelaya's former VP) or Pepe (the next favorite), then there is a chance that corruption and coup calls are justified. I am, as always, skeptical.

Politics aside, Honduras is as beautiful and bustling as ever. Roatan beaches are as clear and blue as you can ask for with far fewer crowds. Tegus is 79 degrees at noon, and all the great pupuserias and churrascarias are still open (even Popeye's is open). I highly urge everyone to go visit and spend your money there. The already suffering tourism sector could sure use it. Just stay out of Comayaguela at night.