And just like that, for me, it's over.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeShogun, Jul 13, 2020.

1. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

This is difficult. I personally cannot, will not, to any degree support extortionists or the cowards that allow them to have their way. And so, for me, it's over. As of this moment, all personal ties to my beloved University and the Longhorns are severed. Good bye and good luck.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I expressed the same on the other thread. Done,

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Maybe,if we are lucky,there will be no football this year. Maybe after a year off they will wake up and see they are not as valuable as they thought they were.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Buh-bye

• Like Like x 5
  5. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

If the players leave the field without honoring the tradition of the playing of ' The Eyes of Texas ', I am done.....They don't need to sing, but if they can't hold the Hook 'Em high and respect The University....**** "em !!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The politicization of everything will drive people out. The pie will be smaller. It’s bad strategy. It’s how you get 4 more years of Trump. The whole enterprise was wrong. It was extortion and bad faith negotiation. It’s a Pyrrhic victory. We will see if this is a one-off or a continuation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Oh, its a continuation. This happened a few years ago and now this. It will continue to happen until most or all of the founders of the university and its traditions are almost completely erased. I firmly believe the students fell prey to some larger group influencing them because they all loved it here until now.

The people who founded and funded the growth of this university should be recognized for their efforts to create one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Now a small group is trying to change history.

How about we not change history but we add to it. I'm down for that, but I'm sick and tired of the removal because someone is offended or someone didn't believe in how someone else lived their lives. Its sickening.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

This is from another thread but it fits. Communism coming to a school near you!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I am also out. Not so much for what was agreed to today as much as the fact that UT has opened the door and it will only continue to go downhill from here. The Eyes of Texas will eventually be gone. I attended and supported the University of Texas because it was the University OF TEXAS. It was the flagship educational institution of our great state. Now it is the University of California at Austin that resents Texas, and I wish I had attended Rice instead. The gameday experience is not even what it was 10 years ago. The only regular season game that feels like an old Texas football game anymore is the OU game. I can say I have been blessed to see just about everything as far as Texas Football goes. Time to start checking out other games in person like Notre Dame-USC, Georgia-Florida, etc. I will probably go in on UTSA season tickets as it is far easier and more pleasant to attend a game there than the mess Austin has become. I may still watch Texas baseball, but I am on the fence.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I've thought about this a lot. I have had my season tickets, same seats, since my graduation in 1986. I can't give up yet. I will go to the games this season and just see how I feel then. This is not the first time UT has disappointed me, it probably won't be the last.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

People deal with change in different ways. The one thing that we can count on about change is that it will always be with us.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

A sad day for me. Just cancelled my season tickets and burned my Longhorn gear. A big part of my life for over 50 years is no more. I will never set foot on campus again.

• Funny x 3
    • Hot x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • WTF? x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree 100+ Posts

Good Lord this thread... Hook Em!

• Like Like x 1
  15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

All I see is Stacy Keach (edit: sorry Powers Booth) saying

The overreaction is strong with way too many posters right now.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  16. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Powers Boothe
    Does this qualify me as a grammar nazi?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paul S. Nichols

Paul S. Nichols 25+ Posts

Ditto for me...never really posted much but it was a daily routine for me to check the postings...attended UT back in the early 1960's and have held 4 season tickets for over 45 yrs...but I am done with it now...time to move on from the PC police...seems like everything in our lives these days has got to be politicized. God Bless to all and one last Hook'EM.

PS Just to be clear...my issue on this has nothing to do with the concessions made, in fact I applaud and support 100% The Field renaming and the statue of Julius Whittier...it is the introduction of politics into the one refuge i felt we had from PC. Truth is, these changes should have happened a long time ago. I definitely do no believe that the Eyes of Texas is racist in any way...these guys forget that the same song with the same words were being sung to and by our football team and our fans for 75 years before the team was integrated and not one player that I have ever heard of was ever offended by the phrases "do not think you can escape them" or "You cannot get away"...so undoubtedly someone is selling a false narrative to these young men.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Like you,I have had season tickets for over 40 years and been a Longhorn fan for 60.It is sad for me to see the University 0f Texas become a west coast University.I am a Texan,not a californian. I am not sure if I will even watch Texas again. I will not give them anymore donations. I honestly hope the season does not occur.It will give the fans and players time for this to settle down.

19. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Had to look up Pyrrhic victory. Learned something new today. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Unfortunately, this situation has no winners and never had a chance for there to be any winners.
    This is just like striking your spouse. Once done, the relationship will never be the same again. There is no amount of remorse that can ever fix a betrayal of trust. And, damn, I don’t see even the slightest regret. How did any person with a modicum of deductive reasoning ever see any upside to this?
    If any of these players have the smug belief that this isn’t a taint that will never leave them, they are delusional. Has any of them ever heard of Kafernick, or whatever? Where is he playing now?
    If you were that damned insulted; transfer, quit, whatever. Ask someone who knows John Carlos how he has prospered the last 52 years.
    I quit attending when lettermen’s tickets began requiring a foundation contribution. Hell, I already gave!
    I have been struck and my long term health and blood-pressure on 12 saturdays in the autumn thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. hookem245

hookem245 100+ Posts

Buh bye!

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

When will you unregister and leave this site?
    It is called Horn"FANS" after all.
    If your done then no reason to be here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

As a counterpoint, I’ll still follow UT, because not too much was given up......Moore hall was always a dump, Earl And Ricky gave more than Joe Jamal to UT football. Does Jamaul losing his name matter? The extra money ? Well We simply lost leverage since we do not have a very diverse team. If you believe blacks help you compete at a high level then you must give into demands or forget black recruiting.
    University wasn’t ready to see if 1969 would still work and you can’t blame them given the media outcry. Easier to pay the fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. UTLAWMBA1991

UTLAWMBA1991 25+ Posts

Respectfully, I'm not quite understanding all of the agony on this thread. Rather than "extortion" as I have seen repeated over and over on Hornfans, I see "free speech" or "collective bargaining" which is not quite communism (another term I see thrown about on Hornfans as applied to this subject.) Regarding free speech, what better place than a university to practice that ?

And well, perhaps these guys were smart--these college kids got a lot they were going after--doesn't that make them "winners" in our president's book? As a college student I would have liked to score a win for my peers...

It's a free country--if you are an alum and feel threatened by having the football field renamed for two of UT's greatest players, and RLM renamed for UT's first Black law student (and student period), just take a walk, that's fine ... No, I'm not a democrat--I'm a moderate independent, who also previously spent 6 years teaching science to lots of minority kids in public high schools...

This game that so many love and spend so much money on is played extremely well by a lot of Black players, many who come from poor neighborhoods. Young people are going to play with a lot more heart when they feel respected... They have a chance to play a game they love, and a chance (with work) at a very good education...

I think some good compromises were made here. I was just speaking to some other UT friends... none of us feel threatened about what transpired... UT is a public university, and should show respect to all Longhorns who make Texas great... if the world can get through coronavirus, and we take some wins over teams like LSU, I don't think the Longhorns will have trouble filling the stands again...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Old timers who give up your tickets: you pay a yearly donation to the foundation to have the right to buy the tickets. Now you free them up and the school will get a donation much larger from the next buyer.

I graduated in 1971 and some of us bought season tickets inside the 30 or 40 yard line and have been paying the same low price for years. Know how much the Foundation is gonna want for your 35 yard line tickets? You are doing them a favor

I’ve had mine since ‘83 and am not giving them up though I don’t plan to go to any games if they are played this season

26. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No one feels threatened. You do not win people over to your side by disingenuously spinning what people are saying into something they are not saying. Texas fans do not have issue with the terms of this compromise. In fact, I think 99% of alumni strongly prefer the field being named after Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell over Joe Jamail. I do not know anyone that ever called it "Joe Jamail Field" or liked the name. The fans have an issue that UT has shown they will give into the players and this will continue until the Eyes of Texas are gone, the Texas flag is removed, etc, etc. UT has already removed the Six Flags of Texas from the Stadium. The UT Band has already stopped playing the Yellow Rose of Texas. Herman and the players described this as "a good first step". That means more demands to follow until we became a traditionless, bland program without identity. With players saying that they will not sing the eyes of texas, you can bet protests will follow, possibly in game. As many posters above say, they are here for football, not politics.

A lot of us, especially those that paid (or have kids or grandkids that paid) outrageous student loans so UT's overblown, wasteful and worthless administration can live fat and happy on the backs of its students do not appreciate a bunch of mostly academically unqualified students getting free tuition, food, housing, tutoring, and physical training (plus getting cost of living payments in addition to other perks) complaining like they are being done wrong in some way. Playing football is a fun game. It is optional and not service like the military. None of these players are putting themselves "in danger" for anyone but themselves. They are playing a game either because they enjoy it or they hope they go to the NFL and make big time money on it.

The truth is, there are not many new people yearning to pay high dollar for season tickets. How do I know? In my section, no one has ever replaced those that left due to Steve Patterson. UT continually sells upper deck tickets for $90 a game. Even after winning the Sugar Bowl, no one has replaced those that left from Patterson. The past 6 years, I have never seen the upper deck so consistently empty. It was never like that from 1994-2013. With the past 10+ years of students and future students taking on crippling student debt, no one will be showing up to replace the season ticket holders anytime soon. Last year I sold my season tickets, only attended the Kansas State and Oklahoma State and scalped tickets for under $40 each for both games in my same section rows below my actual seats. I could actually buy seats in my same section online for $90 each without a donation if I wanted to do so. Anyone paying foundation dues at this point is a sucker.

UT HAS to get the old-timers with money. I think UT is aware of this which is why they are shrinking the stadium and adding more suites in the south end zone. UT knows it has lost the middle class/average alumni (see how low the donations are) and is only going to cater to few 1%ers and corporations. I expect the suites and tickets the 1% and corporations buy to get more expensive and the other seats to get cheaper and cheaper.

I think UT also thinks it can sell to non-Longhorn Austinites (which is why there is more of a focus on "Austin" than "Texas" at the game than in years past). The problem they have is that these new Austinites do not care about UT Football. UT is not an NFL team and transplants do not treat college teams the same way. The new Austinites will attend one game to say they did, may get interested in a big game like LSU, Notre Dame or USC, but otherwise will not care. If they do care about college football, it is their own school not UT.

UT may be able to get away with a lot more if it was the only show in the state like with Arkansas or Nebraska. However, this state has 2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, 3 NBA teams, and 11 other D1 college football programs. On top of that, Austin hotels have become outrageous and traveling to, from and inside Austin has become very painful.

While DKR will still sell out for big games, I expect season tickets sales and attendance to drop significantly over the next 10 years. Alumni that are long time ticket holders are the backbone of college sports. Piss them off and you will never see that money again.

UT in general is operated by non-longhorns and, for the most part, non-Texans. They do not care about alienating the population of this state. For the most part, the population ignores them (and if an actual alum like Wallace Hall tries to fix things, they run a smear campaign against him). This will not last forever and at some point UT will be knocked down a peg. Unfortunately, the non-longhorns and non-Texans that run it will not care and will just move on to ruin someone else's university.

• Like Like x 9
  27. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I want Herman, the California boy, fired !!!!! Any team that doesn't stay for The Eyes can go **** themselves. Those that stand with their Horns Up, I will support.

28. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

“Oh, its a continuation. This happened a few years ago and now this. It will continue to happen until most or all of the founders of the university and its traditions are almost completely erased.“

It’s happening all over the country. And that is the goal- get rid of traditions and history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I've been a season ticket holder since 1983 and Longhorn Foundation member since it started up. I live in Arizona now, and don't make but 1 or 2 games per year, or give the tickets to my son to use. I may at some point drop the tickets and give a lesser amount to the Foundation.

I have a problem when discussions turn to racist admissions issues. A good model to reduce race issues can be found at TCU and also USC. Applicants' applications have identification and some other info removed and the application is assigned a unique ID number. Admissions are based on academic grades, class standing, extracurricular activities, and SAT/ACT scores. Race issues are minimized since the applicant's name, address and ethnicity is not available. Students are admitted on merit and meeting the qualifications and standards for the school. The reviewing committee never sees that info until after the admission decision is made. Seems to work fairly well and all applicants are judged by the same standards, with no carve outs. Eliminates or at least minimizes discriminatory issues. Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! University traditions and standards are under attack everywhere.