Another Basic Way to Explain our Argument

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Orange Salad Ranch, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

This really should be a no brainer, especially for people who freaking coach college football for a living:

HERE'S WHAT EACH TEAM IS ASKING FOR WITH CURRENT BCS RANKINGS:

TEXAS - Please just leave us where we are and don't drop us for winning this week, even though we did lose one game on the road at the last second.

OU - Please move us ahead of a team that beat us, even though it was a 10 point loss at a neutral site.

TECH - Please move us ahead of a team we beat as well as Utah, USC, Florida, and Oklahoma who we just lost to by 36.

How much clearer can it be? Tech is obviously out of it with the position they are in. OU has no argument at all. The fact we have to sweat this out at all is complete ********, not to mention that they actually have the upper hand. Amazingly pathetic.

2. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

3. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

4. TrickyStickin

TrickyStickin 100+ Posts

That is as clear and lucid a summation as I have seen in the last three days.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

6. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

I have another clear and simple argument:

[​IMG]

7. Orange Salad Ranch

Our coaches and players need to tell every person who will listen:

We are NOT trying to pass Tech. We are NOT trying to pass OU.

Tech is NOT able to pass Texas. Tech is NOT able to pass OU.

All that is going on here is OU IS trying to pass Texas. That's it. "Should OU pass Texas," that's all this is down to and if people ask themselves that, then the Sooners have no argument. None at all.

8. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

If we are just going to contort words in a way that makes them favorable to whatever side...
    OU lost to a better team, whom OU was actually beating for half the game, but after a crucial injury, went on to lose on a neutral field.
    Texas lost to a lesser team, while trailing most of the game, almost made a comeback but fell short away from home, but was beaten by more than the standard home field advantage points.
    This is as logically sound as the OP.

9. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

10. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

11. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

12. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

13. Orange Salad Ranch

So you want common opponents to count for more than head to head?

The original post is about the BCS rankings now and what each school needs to have happen to be ranked higher next week.

There is one school that clearly has the path of least resistance while the other two have to ask people to ignore common sense and logic to make their point.

14. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

15. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

16. Orange Salad Ranch

Thank you boomeresq for proving my point that OU has no good argument. Your post is so full of subjective ******** and biased garbage. Texas doesn't need this. The facts don't lie.

17. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

18. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU 100+ Posts

Texas lost to Tech, has the same record as Tech and therefore should not pass Tech in the BCS. Period.

19. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU 100+ Posts

Tech lost to OU, has the same record as OU and therefore should not pass OU in the BCS. Period.

20. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

Hilarious. This Sooner is actually arguing that because losing a single important player on defense is actually more damaging to Oklahoma than Texas' losing an important player on both sides of the ball, this means Oklahoma is better.

The complete and total lack of logic required to make that argument is almost admirable. I mean, it's almost unfathomable that someone could argue that.

"We have worse depth so we're a better team!"

And isn't Reynolds out for the year? So if losing that single player makes your team so much worse, why doesn't that loss still mean something now? He's not going to play in the Big 12 CCG or in the NCG, so not having him should be factored into the decision-making. And since you claim that your defense sucks without him, then your defense still sucks.

Like I said, it requires a complete and total lack of logical thinking ability.

21. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

22. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

23. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

24. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Boomer,

Texas beat OU without our phenom TE...should Texas get credit for being a better team without Irby?

Texas was severely weakened without its Biletnikoff finalist and Lombardi finalist in the Tech game. Was this enough for Texas to lose? I don't know that. I would say with confidence, that together they probably are worth at least a touchdown every game.

While OU still doesn't have Ryan Reynolds, weakening their defense, Cosby and Orakpo our now back and at full strength. Additionally, it's not like all of sudden Greg Davis, McCoy, Shipley, and Cosby aren't getting better and learning as the season goes on and won't figure out another way to exploit the weak OU defense.

Would Loadholt have come up with some way to stop Orakpo?

Texas beat OU back then 45-35 on a neutral field, and they would beat OU again today on a neutral field.

25. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

1) OU's defense isn't weak. You don't hold Tech like that and call that defense weak. It is a much improved defense, which leads to #2
    2) To say that OU is still weak because RR isn't playing ignores that we had time to train up someone to fill the gap. We couldn't fill it instantaneously, but have done so since.
    3) Murray is also now at full strength.

My point is that I don't believe the RRR was a complete comparison with how good both of these teams could be. We won the first half, you guys won the second by more and thus won the game. It wasn't a domination, either. Someone commented that it would have been 45-28 were it not for the dive by the Punter, but that interception that was ruled incomplete was just as close of a call. And the numerous personal fouls that were called on us for HOLDING UP McCoy going out of bounds didn't help, either. I never knew trying to hold someone up was a late hit.

You have your opinion on who is a better team now, and I have mine. But let's think... Who could we ask that were experts on the issue that might lend some insight into who is a better team now. They would have to really know football, and we'd have to ask a fair amount of them to weigh in. Hmm.. how about D-I coaches. That sounds logical. Now lets ask about 60 of them. That should give us a somewhat impartial view.
    OH WAIT. That's the USA Today poll. And they have OU #2, UT #4.

26. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

Lets look at it one more way. Imagine a world where during bowl season #3 Texas beats #4 USC in the Fiesta bowl and #2 OU beats #1 Florida in the MNC bowl game. You would now have OU at #1 and UT at #2 dispite the the two teams having a single loss during the season and OU suffering a 10 point loss to UT at a neutral site. I can't imagine that this would sit well with the majority of fans of college football. The fact that OU would have beaten Mizzou in the conference championship is immaterial since UT also beat Mizzou.

Now imagine the reverse situation where UT is #1 after beating UF and OU is #2 after beating USC in the Fiesta Bowl. Now there is no way looking back on this that anyone could say that things are amiss. The only way to assure that this situation is possible instead of the above scenario is to leave TEXAS ahead of OU in the final regular season BCS poll and send TEXAS to the Big 12 Conference Championship game.

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

28. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

29. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts

30. boomeresq

boomeresq 25+ Posts