Anti-Trump protests at...Super Bowl

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Feb 2, 2017.

1. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-tex...p-protests-slated-for-Super-Bowl-10897879.php

Sigh.

I'm exhausted.

Believe it or not, I am looking forward to Lady GaGa. I think she's great. Some people get distracted by her crazy outfits, which she has toned down the last several years, but she is a real musical talent artist.

She is liberal and anti-Trump. But she's not Madonna/Ashley Judd batshit crazy. It's be dumb to say she won't do anything political. I could be wrong but, I bet it'll be relatively modest/more about unity and much less provocative than Beyonce's performance last year.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I was down there Monday and Tuesday afternoon. It was crowded but you could still move through. I did not see any protestors

I went back today (Thurs), and Downtown Houston (and surrounding areas) are all now crazy packed. Never seen it like this. It's pretty unbelievable. Businesses are booming and traffic is hell. Gonna be tough for protestors to stand out in this sea of people.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I had so much respect for you.

She may not be as nutty as Madonna and Ashley Judd, but she's still a peddler of "bootie-shankin' music." Accordingly, she shares responsibility for ruining popular music.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D,
    The 80s called and they want their cds back and that one cassette you keep hidden.

• Like Like x 3
  5. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I cannot believe how many people have nothing better to do with their time than to participate in these ridiculous protests.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

When you don't work you have to fill up the day somehow.

7. texas_ex2000

You know you secretly like Edge of Glory and Just Dance.

I just realized I have no credibility because I thoroughly enjoyed this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I heard that the NFL has not told Lady G what she can or cannot say or do. Hopefully it's not going to be a repeat of Beyoncé's Black Panther tribute of last year.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Today's Super Bowl protestors

[​IMG]

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have seen conflicting stuff on this.
    One said she is just out to entertain
    But another said her intent was a message of "inclusion."
    There is so much stuff out there that is wrong, it's tough to ever know anymore.

I admit she has sort of grown on me. I used to dismiss her as a untalented gimmick, but the truth is she really does sing well. So, i will be disappointed if she uses this for just another stunt.

[​IMG]

12. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

She can act too. She killed it (no pun intended) the season she was a vamp on "American Horror Story". She did some nudes scenes. I was pleasantly surprised. WB.

13. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

For a time, I knew a guy who was in Lady Gaga's band during the meat-dress era. He said that the crazy **** she did early in her career was to get attention. In person, she was pretty normal.

At some point, this guy tells me, Tony Bennett dropped in on Lady Gaga. Bennett told Lady Gaga that she was the most talented musician since Frank Sinatra, and that she was disgracing the institution of music by being such a freak. This conversation hit her hard, and she hasn't done anything super-weird since then. She and Bennett have become friends, and even recorded an album of jazz duets together.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You dont say

• Like Like x 4
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I have seen her in snippets lately and she has toned down a ton. The stuff she did with Tony Bennett is greatness.
    I really hope she does not go hollyweird during the SB

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Lady GaGa won me over with this performance. I was astounded to see her cleaned up.
    Plus, the woman can sing. Which GaGa shows up at the Super Bowl is a different story, but I stand with Tony Bennett. (Plus, "The Sound of Music" is one of my top 5)

• Like Like x 3
  17. texas_ex2000

Damm, that's amazing.

She's a superb piano/keyboard player too.

While contemporary Pop/Dance ain't my go to genre, I do enjoy a good upbeat Top 40 beat when I hear one. And if you had to rank the following based on vocal ability, musicianship, writing, and showmanship...it's Lady Gaga by a mile.

IMHO based on 4 stars in each category:

1) Gaga: 16 stars 4 - vocal, 4 - musician, 4 - writing, 4 - show
    T2) Adele: 12 stars 4 - vocal, 2 - musician, 4 - writing, 2 - show
    T2) Swift: 12 stars 2 - vocal, 3 - musician, 4 - writing, 3 - show
    4) Beyonce: 11 stars 3 - vocal, 1 - musician, 3 - writing, 4 - show
    5) Rhianna: 9 stars 3 - vocal, 1 - musician, 1 - writing, 4 - show
    6) Katy Perry: 8 stars 2 - vocal, 1 - musician, 2 - writing, 3 - show

I know what y'all are thinking...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  18. texas_ex2000

Throwing some love to Houston. Must be staying in some mansion in River Oaks.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

People scoff about this, but it's actually a serious issue over here. For a while, circumcision of an infant child without medical necessity was found to be illegal by a German court. It took an act of their parliament to overturn the decision, and that was to protect the religious rights of Jews and Muslims, not because of some outcry from the public. And even after that, they won't perform them in German hospitals, and pediatricians strongly advise against them.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You forgot the LPs and 8 tracks.

Nevertheless, I do think The Police, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and the Beatles are more talented than Kanye West, Taylor Swift, and Miley Cyrus. Call me crazy.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

OK, that was very good. I still think Julie Andrews has her beat, but it was very good. I'll give credit where it's due.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

@Hollandtx , you're either up too early for a Saturday, or you partied too hard on a Friday and haven't gone to bed. Either way, you shouldn't be awake to be liking my post.

23. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Mr. Deez, I couldn't agree with you more regarding the state of music today.
    In 10, heck 5 years not one of those songs will be anything but a distant (if that) memory. They may be played on the 2-4 am radio station somewhere, but I weep for the people that think that someone like Taylor Swift will stand the test of time.
    I went down the rabbit hole of old Chicago tunes--not the pop stuff in the 80s, but their music from the 70s that my older brother listened to. The lyrics are still relevant, the music was fresh and cutting edge, and the band was tight. The drumming alone was a revelation.
    The stuff that passes for music these days is pretty much garbage, and the sad thing is the people listening don't know any better.

And, no one is Julie Andrews! She was, and is in a class by herself. It is heartbreaking that a procedure ruined her voice. She gave GaGa her stamp of approval though.

Here is my worry, beyond the Super Bowl. What will happen at the Olympics? What kind of protests will occur? I don't like to mix politics with sports, and the Olympics are my holy event.

24. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

ha, ha. Dog needed to go potty. I am not happy.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It happens. This guy woke up at 7 am and had "an issue," and yada yada yada, we had to give him an early bath. We were up until 2, so we're dragging. Didn't seem to bug him too much.

IMG_20170204_121215.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The music of today reminds me somewhat of the music of the early '60s (when Elvis was still in the military but before the Beatles). It's very formulaic. It's as though some executive thought, "those songs worked. Let's remake them a bunch of times with a bunch of different artists." We need another British Invasion.

I'm old enough to remember the Peter Cetera Chicago stuff from the '80s, but I've heard they're earlier stuff well. It is very underrated. Even their '80s stuff is well done even if it isn't necessarily my style.

She was amazing, and I must admit that I love the Sound of Music. Call me a pansy, but I genuinely enjoy it. In fact I like it enough that I did a Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, which was a great experience, especially seeing Mondsee, which is the small lake and mountain village where the wedding was. That was beautiful.

There will be protests, and they will be ugly. The Olympics are probably the most politicized sporting event in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  27. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

All I know is I've got front row seats to Foreigner tonight!

STYX next weekend and Chicago in three. :yes:

I roll with Deez. :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I thought Trump banned all Foreigners.

• Like Like x 8
  29. texas_ex2000

Awesome show! David Bowie would be proud.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts