Anticipating Spring Football

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Mar 3, 2023.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Maybe I’m just getting old, but I can’t remember anticipating spring football more than I am this year. The subplots are everywhere, and most of the position groups just seem to be loaded.

QB is obvious. I expect to hear exciting things out of that position from all three players, and for Ewers to show everyone why he was so highly rated. Then there’s a kid named Manning. Think about that.

RB - Can’t wait to see how Savion Red and Cedric Baxter look. I’m really excited about Red. Not to mention Brooks, but he’s probably not fully healed.

WR - I know we’re all waiting to see what AD Mitchell and Nayor can do. Then there’s Johntay Cook. And maybe Worthy will actually catch one or two long balls.

TE - While I believe we’re a bit thin, Sanders is an animal who will probably be having a first round draft type of year.

OL - What can you say? Simply, we’re loaded, and it’s just a matter of time before these guys dominate. BTW, this is why I’m not particularly worried about the running game and losing Bijan and Roshon. I might be able to run behind these guys.

DL - We’ve got studs in Murphy, Sweat, and Sorelle. Maybe Collins will break out. But the guy I really want to hear about is Sydir Mitchell.

LB - We all want to see how the early enrollees, Ant Hill and Liona Lefau, look. We definitely have a hole to fill.

Secondary - So many subplots just in this group alone. How do they juggle the pieces? Looking forward to hearing about Catalon and Holmes in particular.

It’s going to be entertaining as heck.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Why hasn't the roster been updated? Sure would like to see all the newcomers. It seems like this should have been done over a month ago.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think they wait until players are measured (weight and height) on start of spring practice.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Things I like:
    • Hill was given DeMo's #0, and Catalon was given Cook's #11. And I think both are going to have an even bigger impact over time than Overshown and Cook.
    • It looks like Ewers has actually been working out. He looks quicker, although a lot of that could be more reps since his injury.
    • AD Mitchell has his family with him, seemingly helping with the homesickness from the past couple years. I think he's going to end up being our safety valve on awkward throws. Worthy and Cook are going to be the speed guys, but Mitchell has the strength and size to get into the mix with defenders and come down with the ball. If Sanders is covered, Mitchell's going to be where Ewers looks.
    • People are comparing Sydir Mitchell to Gerald McCoy without even joking. He's massive, quick, and has a lot more moves than Coburn or Sweat.
    Things I'm a little worried about:
    • The RB situation is going to be kind of "meh" in Spring ball. Baxter's going to get his reps, but Brooks is still convalescing from his surgery. And K. Robinson seems... off? on social media.
    • If the OL believes their hype. I saw a lot of displeasing stuff in the late-season games, particularly on passing downs. We need a better rotation of subs.
    • The back seven (sometimes eight) is going to look like street ball for a lot of the Spring. Outside of Ford, we just don't know what we're going to get.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Work hard. Stay healthy.

The work hard part constitutes several things.

I’m going to assume the Oline improves. At times, they blocked the run well. At times they pass blocked well. They never consistently did both well.

The key element is the interior Dline continuing to improve and yet again be a force. I’m not sure we can be better there, but our depth can continue to improve their performance and consistency. Then the edge guys need to step it up a notch.

Offensively it starts upfront. Then it’s QE.

This year is the year to be impactful nationally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I like Arch wearing no. 16. Reminds me of James Street.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The clickbait is strong around this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Updated roster is up. Connor Stroh and Payton Kirkland are larger than Cameron Williams. :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Wow. The guys at IT think that Stroh will eventually be dominant. Say that the he is unusually and naturally strong.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

My favorite days during the offseason are the ones where we get "canon" updates directly from the source.

0 - Ant Hill
    2 - Cook
    4 - Baxter (Whitt changed to #13)
    5 - AD Mitchell
    5 - M. Muhammad
    Neyor changed to #8
    9 - Holmes
    9 - De'Andre Moore
    11 - Catalon
    16 - Manning
    18 - Lefau
    26 - Derrick Brown switched to Edge like we thought
    40 - Gullette
    71 - Kirkland listed at 367... ut oh
    75 - Chatman
    79 - Stroh listed at 365... sheesh
    92 - Vasek
    99 - Mitchell

• Like Like x 1
  14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

For what it's worth, I agree with them.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Same question, where’s Malik?

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Has anyone seen Sark’s press conference today? I cannot find it.

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Apparently that nagging foot injury, still.

20. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Damn I am still on the Sark Bandwagon.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

He has an Arch problem.

Nooo, not that Arch.:smile1:

• Funny Funny x 7
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

MSN? Making stupid headline for clicks

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Eh I was thinking more Joe Montana :smile1:

27. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I was thinking more James Street .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I have to admit not being exceptionally more excited than in previous years. During the Strong-Herman eras I was way more optimistic than prudence should have allowed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  29. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

You sir, we’re not alone.
    I hang my head in shame, Crockett

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I still like the old days when QB's had numbers that were double digit and less than 20.

• Agree Agree x 1