Any other ex-Maverick fans?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by BattleshipTexas, Dec 27, 2007.

1. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

I had been a Maverick fan since the Mark Aguire, Roy Tarpley days. I gave Mark Cuban my best efforts. I was okay for a while with his outbursts, quirkiness and referee bashing. But at some point, I just can't pull for him or his team anymore. I quit. I am fed up. I am now teamless. I don't feel right pulling for the Spurs or Rockets. Same for the old teams like Celtics, Lakers and Knicks. Maybe some expansion team will come along and I can feel right about it. I will still watch the NBA, just won't have a team. If the Longhorns keep putting guys in the NBA, maybe I will just pull for them. Anyone else an ex-Maverick because of Cuban?

2. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

[​IMG] I'm not an ex-Mavs fan, but I applaud your decision. I think you're making the right move. [​IMG]

P.S. The Spurs are pretty fun to be a fan of. They win a lot and do it with class. Even better, no Mark Cuban. You should give it some thought. [​IMG]

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

please don't jump on the Spurs bandwagon

4. reckoner11

reckoner11 25+ Posts

As a life-long Mavs fan, I certainly feel your frustration. But to me, it comes down to results on the court. Before Cuban we had the nightmare that was the Triple J saga as we toiled around with win totals in the teens and twenties.

While I feel that Cuban is a horse's *** and makes us look bad from time to time...the franchise has pulled a 180 on his watch. Hell, they made the Finals for the first time in 2006 and I can always count on them to be in the playoffs. I still want that damn Finals trophy but we're a lot closer to getting it now than we were before Cuban came along.

p.s. anymore collapses like last year and everything I previously posted is null and void.

5. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

I've never understood this rationale. What does Cuban have to do with the play on the court? To each his own.

6. CharlieMike

CharlieMike 25+ Posts

I am real close to being right there with you, but my heart keeps me pulling me back. I've been with them along time. Never will like Kiki Vandeweghe, always will have a soft spot for Jim Spanarkel.
    But I absolutely can't stand Mark Cuban and can't wait till he goes away. I give him credit for one thing and that's throwing alot of money at this thing. That's a big thing, but his theatrics, grandstanding, and myopia have been an absolute detriment to this team.

7. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

Why now? "Dancing with the Stars" ended more than a month ago.

8. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

So you weren't really a fan in the first place.

Good riddance.

9. killer b's

killer b's 25+ Posts

You were never a fan IMO. I am very very frustrated by the Mavs this year but I will never stop rooting for the Mavs.

10. Tyrone_Biggums

Tyrone_Biggums First Time Poster

What has Mark Cuban done?

Only helped to get the Mavericks to their first NBA finals since...uh...never.

If anyone becomes an Ex-fan because of any owner, you weren't a fan in the first place.

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I was a Rocket fan back in the hakeem days. I would like to be a Rocket fan again but am not sold on the current assortment of players. I also have some problems with the NBA in general. With that said, what has Cuban done to tick you off? I don't watch enough to have my own opinion.

12. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Sounds like you weren't a fan until the Mavs started winning. Because anyone who suffered through the pre-Cuban years would know to be thankful.

13. CharlieMike

CharlieMike 25+ Posts

Alot of uninformed people throwing out the you were never a fan card. That's funny considering my family have been season ticket holders for along time.
    I guess I misrepresented my stance because I can never not root for the Mavs, I guess it's just Cuban. I've met him and been around him at a few outings and functions and he has never failed to be a first class ***.
    The complaining, defensive, knee jerk person you see bitching to the refs or whining on his blog is who he is.
    Yea you can get away with alot of things when you have the money to throw at things and he takes total advantage of that.

14. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

So basically what you are saying is you were a Don Carter fan and a Perot Jr. fan not a Mavericks fan. Because I don't know if you realize this but since Cuban bought the team they have been one of the winningest teams in the league.

The guy may make an *** out of himself but he has turned the Mavericks team from a putrid team into a perennial championship caliber team.

And like a few other people have said what has he done this year to piss you off? If anything he has toned himself practically out of the limelight of the team this year. He may have been on DWTS but as far as the on court team he has been almost silent in comparison to previous years.

15. CharlieMike

CharlieMike 25+ Posts

16. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

be a sonics fan

17. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

18. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

In reply to:

19. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

Fans don't quit on their team cause they don't like the owner (especially when the owner has done a great a job as Cuban has). You're not a fan--you're a bandwagoner. See ya.

MFFL.

20. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

Johnny Gill must be your favorite artist

21. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

I think Tom Hicks is a complete jackass but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop being a fan of the Texas Rangers.

22. Lincoln

Lincoln 100+ Posts

Why does anyone care what Mark Cuban says or does?

All he is is a Mavs fan with a lot of money. Yeah, he happens to be one of those pretty boisterous fans that gets overly upset at refs and other things, but those are the best fans to be at games with!

Besides, it's just a pro sport. It's not like anything he does actually matters. If he was the POTUS or something, I would probably care more...

23. CajunHorn

CajunHorn 100+ Posts

Whether you are a fan or not is what's being debated here. I find it mildly amusing that no one is debating on whether or not Cuban is an ***-clown.

24. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

25. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

26. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

27. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

Nobody on here is disagreeing that Cuban has been a huge douche in the past. The question is what has he done this year that all of a sudden caused the OP to become an ex mavs fan?

And the people who stopped being Cowboys fans when Jones bought the team probably were the first ones back on the bandwagon when they got good again.

28. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

29. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

Just like im sure there were tons of former mavs fans who jumped right back on the bandwagon once Cuban bought the team.

If Battleship would have titled this thread "Any other ex-Cuban fans?" there probably would have been 4-5 pages of other people agreeing with him. But to say all of a sudden he is not a Mavs fan after being one forever because of Cuban when Cuban has been nonexistent this year raises eyebrows.

30. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts