Anybody else around here do Atkins/ South Beach?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Smurfette, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

I was wondering if anybody else around here does Atkins or South Beach diets? I've been doing it about 6 weeks now. Problem is I'm getting burned out on foods, especially lunch food.

Also, anybody know of good options for eating out?

Thanks.

2. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

3. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

Whataburger. Try a big old double/double. Just toss the bun and dig in. Very few carbs as long as you have it served dry or with just mustard.

4. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Yeah... I think the reason I'm having issues is because I can't eat beef. (I forgot to say that above. I don't know why, it could be all in my head, but it makes me very sick.)

5. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

1. go to a nutritionist
    2. have them analyze you and custom a diet for you and with you
    3. get a personal trainer
    4. do what they tell you to do, not more, not less
    5. smile as results occur

This is your best and most trusted path. No fad diet, no strict diet change and motivation to create newer and more healthy/beneficial habits in your lifestyle.

No Atkins, no South Beach, no Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. A visit to a Nutritionist or Dietician is cheaper than the above and can be custom tailored to and for you. Your input is vital and used by them to create something you will do because you won't get tired of it. You will enjoy your diet since you help create it. You are given alternatives to the norm and know what to snack on, when and how it affects YOUR body specifically. A copay is what you pay if you have insurance which I suspect you do.

The skills you will learn can be life long. If you have not reached your fitness goals by now on your own, why would you expect this to change now? Trust professionals to help you along on the right path. You may think it is expensive. Think about the benefits and how much they help you as well as how long they can last.

Good luck, you can do it, ou sucks.

7. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

Any sane diet will let you indulge in a craving once every week or two. Just don't fall off the wagon and moderate the quantity of your indulgences.

8. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Not if you have insurance which I am pretty sure she does as a teacher. ]

btw,

hi

10. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I went on a low carb diet in 2000. Lost 70 lbs in about 9 months. I ate lots of red meat, but that doesn't seem to work for you. I also ate a bunch of Cobb salads, Greek salads, chicken Caesar salads, etc.

I also ate plenty of omelets. They don't need to be on the menu either. Review the menu and look at all the ingredients that go into their standard dishes. Pick out a few ingredients you like and have them make an omelet stuffed with your picks.

Fish. Shrimp. An olive and cheese plate. Artichokes with bacon and blue cheese crumbles. Don't feel constrained by the menu. Mix and match at will.

Don't act like the waiter is doing you a favor either. Just describe exactly what you want and let him figure out the rest.

Bernard

11. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

grilled salmon in salad for lunch, turkey breast sticks and cheese, turkey chili, soup, chili mac with low card noodles, and cobb salads

12. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

maybe the atkins/sb people that I've been around are doing it wrong. I hope to hell that they are, because i can't wrap my brain around bacon and pork rinds being diet food

13. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

14. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

The basic philospohy behind Adkins is that you don't need to add carbs to your diet b/c you get all you need from veggies, nuts, etc. If you read his book, it makes sense.

A lot of people eat all meat and cheese, not enough veggies. It's not a healthy life style if you don't eat enough veggies.

15. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Atkins altered his diet 8-10 years ago to add more veggies and leaner meats. Some people still think it's all about meat and cheese and eggs and don't worry about the fat. It may have been in response to the SBD craze. I've tried both with some success. It's easier if you don't have a family that always wants to eat something else.

16. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

About six years ago I was on a semi altered Atkins program for about three months. I lost some weight , but the side effects were brutal.
    I recommend lots of green veggies.........lean meats and some light exercise every day.

17. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Call me when your big toe starts hurting.

18. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Why would my big toe hurt??

19. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

20. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

i would suggest keeping a food diary, write down everything you eat and you will be surprised how easy it becomes to cut back on junk when you realize how much of it you actually eat.

plus, if you do go to a nutritionist later, they will be able to use the data you collect to better help you customize your diet needs.

21. Bonafide

Bonafide 100+ Posts

22. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

I didn't say you couldn't lose weight eating bunless burgers, cheese, etc becuae you can. I said it wasn't the intent of the diet. The food prescribed in the diet when done the proper way is pretty healthy.

23. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Diets do not work.

Your body needs carbs, complex carbs, not the simple carbs from processed foods.

Never eat anything that comes from a chemical labratory.
    Just because the FDA approves it doesnt mean its good for you.

Eat grass fed beef. Cattle are ruminants. They are made to eat grass. Grass from birth to butcher. Cattle fed "organic grain" are still fed grain. Bad for their digestive system and it makes them ill.

We are part of nature. If we eat the foods nature provides (the way it was provided) you will be healthy.

EXERCISE....You have the time.

If you are fat, 90% of the time it is because you choose to be fat. You make that choice when you choose that chicken fried steak, ect....The other 10% have medical problems.

If we ate properly, we wouldnt be having this debate over health care. Most of the health problems today are caused by the foods we eat.

Eat natural foods. The less processing the better.

Avoid high frutcose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated foods.

Coconut oil is a health champion. Although high in fats, it has lauric acids and medium chain fatty acids. MCFA's go to the liver and are burned as energy.

Cconut water is natures hydrater. This was also used in WWII as an IV solution.

Avoid vegetable oils. Partially hydrogenated means TRANS fats. Also they have long chain fatty acids. Your body does not recognize this and stores it as fat.

3 years ago I weighted almost 300 lbs. Today I weigh between 170-175. Have maintained this weight for 1.5 years. People in this country act like 5 year olds when they eat. I like it...I want it...I'm gonna eat it....good health be damned. Remember, if the FDA had to approve it, you probably shouldnt eat it. Good health and good science will always take a back seat to profit. Eat natural foods in sensible portions and you will be fine.

24. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Gout is caused by an excess of uric acid, which happens if you don't get enough carbohydrates. Most of the people I know who tried Atkins had gout.

agssuk's post should be required reading. Now, if I could only follow it ...

Where are those Reese's cups ...??

25. ImissWallyPryor

26. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

He's talking about the Paleo (Caveman) diet where you eat like primitive man did before the invention of agriculture. Since most vegetable oils require industrial scale equipment and 'modern' agriculture they are generally avoided. I believe the basic idea is we evolved to eat as hunter gatherers, not agricultural creatures, so our diet should reflect that.

Paleo also tends to take the viewpoint that the last 30 years of conventional medical/exercise wisdom are essential wrong or built on poor/faulty studies. ie. There's nothing wrong with saturated fats if you eat in balance and live an active lifestyle (Inuit, etc.).

You can read a breakdown of how Paleo followers view common oils here:The Link

And on saturated fat here:
    The Link

Note that Paleo also advocates mimicking the active lifestyle of primitive man as well so exercise is key part of the lifestyle.

btw: Eating Paleo (or any other diet) won't make you lose weight. Going into caloric deficit (eat less, move more) is the only practical way to lose weight. The rest of everything certainly can affect how this happens and your overall health.

27. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Funny how man's bodies and minds have evolved, but their diet hasn't. If we could produce more cavemen we wouldn't have to send them all to Washington D.C. and then we would have plenty of people to throw rocks and dig holes.

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That post was so easy even a Caveman could have posted it!

29. ImissWallyPryor

I guess eating a lot of seal blubber is like any other monodiet. You get so sick and tired of eating the same thing that eventually, your calorie intake decreases.

30. UTDude

UTDude 100+ Posts

A couple of my favorites:Salmon Patties:
    Salmon
    Crushed Pork Rinds for filler
    Eggs
    Seasoning
    Fry

Chicken Fried Steak/Tenders
    :
    Beef/Chicken
    Crushed Pork Rinds and Egg for crust