Anybody here own(ed) a Toyota shop?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by BigWill, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

So GF's car went to dealer for service today.

09 Corolla.

They tell her the right CV boot is leaking, and on that particular model the boot cannot be replaced...gotta do the whole shaft for $800+.

Meanwhile, I'm looking online and napa carries boots for the right side. I also checked some toyota websites and there seems to be factory replacement parts.

Any thoughts?

2. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

don't own a Toyata shop and not a mechanic,
    but our daughter has a Carolla and has used: Rising Sun Japanese Auto Service (off of Anderson Ln kind of behind Whataburger)
    very pleased and seem to be opretty reasonable with their charges.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

ProTech on Howard Ln has done work on my Toyota and couldn't be more satisfied with the work and price.

4. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Thx, but I was trolling for advice from Accuratehorn.

I'm in San Diego, so shop recommendations in AUS don't help me.

5. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Why not simply call around to either dealers or shops & tell them exactly what you were quoted (work to be done as well as price - it's possibly got a "flag hour" rate).

If it's BS, they will tell you so & ask for your business.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Because Accurate gives sage advice and he's helped me in the past?

And because I'm lazy?

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Hadn't been checking the board lately, but here is my advice as a former shop owner. The dealer will only sell factory complete axles, which is the axle with two CV joints, and new boots on the joints.
    Independent shops can buy replacement boots for the CV joints, or rebuilt axles, or brand new aftermarket axles.
    Each axle has an inner and an outer CV joint, each with a boot. On some models, one boot is not too hard to replace, although the axle must be partially removed from the hub that drives the front wheels. The other boot may require more labor because the axle would have to be completely removed, the CV joints disassembled and then the boot slid on first before the other parts were reinstalled.
    In that second case, it is usually better to get a different axle.
    The rebuilt axles are ones remanufactured by companies that take them apart, put new balls in the CV cages, and put them back together with new boots. These can have problems because those balls run in machined grooves which can be worn, and the rebuilt axles can make noise either upon installing them or soon after.
    The better choice is a new (but aftermarket) axle. Dealer axles may be superior, but they are just too much. Most people don't buy them. The aftermarket new axle should work fine on a Corolla. And they are relatively cheap.
    If the car makes no noise going around turns, and the noise is a common one all front wheel drive cars make eventually, a clack clack clacking-then the boot can just be replaced, if feasable on that model. If the axle makes noise, don't bother replacing the boot, or if replacing the boot costs as much as buying and replacing one of the new axles, just replace the axle.
    Call a couple of local independent Toyota shops and see if they replace the boots and/or the axles on your daughter's model, and it should be a fairly common job. They might want to see it, but they probably would give a price over the phone.