Anyone else see "Before they were Cowboys..."?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by blonthang, Dec 29, 2016.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

In the SEC Storied series of heroic tales of the SEC.

I thought this might be about Jerrah and Jimmah, and certainly it was:

http://www.secsports.com/article/18175043/sec-storied-continues-were-cowboys

Apparently when I saw it on the 26th it was the premier of this episode. If someone else has posted on HornFans regarding this, sorry, my bad.

I began watching it and kept waiting for a disclaimer scroll to loop at the bottom of the entire show:

"We realize that this show on the Arkansas careers and beyond for Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both playing for the Arkansas Razorbacks while they were in the Southwest Conference, NOT the SEC, we still hope it suggests that the 1964 shared MNC of Arkansas should be viewed as an SEC national championship. Just like the BIG claims Nebraska's success in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, now that they're n the BIG, right?"

Arkansas (who went undefeated, including a 14-13 win over defending National Champion Texas by stopping a 2-point conversion attempt by Texas with seconds remaining in the game) shared MNC honors for the 1964 season with Alabama (who was supposed to just roll out the footballs and be crowned MNC, and uh, lost to Texas in the Orange Bowl, finishing the season 10-1), and Notre Dame who like Bama finished with one loss at 9-1, and Michigan finishing at 9-1, and....uh, no such honor bestowed upon the defending national champion, Texas, whose only loss was by 1 point to 11-0 Arkansas, and who had just beaten Alabama in the Orange Bowl to finish 10-1).

But, you see, this was an SEC national championship by Arkansas, even though they won it while in the SWC. At least Arkansas SHOULD have been in the SEC, they finally DID see the light and join the SEC and has had wonderous results since in football.

At least it gave some insight into Texas v. Arkansas at the time. One piggy player said something like: "Well, Texas definitely was the dominant team of the SWC at the time. They were everybody's rival. I mean everybody who played them treated them as such. We did. I don't think Texas necessarily considered us a rival though."

And after Texas lost 14-13 to piggy, their first loss since the 1962 season (undefeated 1963, MNC), a piggy player (or was it Broyles, don't remember now) pointed out that Royal made it over to the piggy locker room after the game and told piggy: "You guys just beat an outstanding football team (of course meaning his Horns). Congratulations and I hope you win out and win the national championship."

Ah, yes, the good old days of the SEC.

Huh?