Anyone else worried/disappointed

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by caryhorn, Jan 19, 2016.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

What a wet blanket.
    Football season is over and I am wringing every drop of excitement I can out of recruiting.
    Of course I/we have absolutely no control over it and will have to deal with whatever happens on NSD.
    Until then I am enjoying the upbeat attitude of current players and committed recruits.
    I will #believe until proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

>
    Just trying to manage expectations. There will be several ups and downs over the next 10 days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

That's what makes roller coasters so much fun. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Can someone explain this "silent commit" stuff??!! Is it just wishful thinking by people with orange colored glasses? Do we have 10 five start recruits lined up for signing day? Does it keep a recruit from another school? Does Strong plan to make a huge splash on signing day that will vault us to a national championship? Or, is it just internet crap??

• Like Like x 1
  5. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Yes or no........:smile1:.... take your pick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Unless a kid is in the mist of official visits and wants to make sure he has a good time, he may wish to keep his intentions quiet so he doesn't get told not to show up at a particular school, but doesn't want to miss out on getting a spot in the class at his preferred school. So he tells the coach he is coming, but keeps it silent so he can go have a good time at X or Y University... There is no other good reason to be a silent commit, other than being a prima donna on signing day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

As long as they sign they can prima their donna as much as they want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

SO, are we to assume Charlie is working on a whole class of prima donnas?

• Like Like x 1
  9. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

This class is vital for Charlie to keep his job. The ranking is not so important, but he needs several players to be good enough to step up and play a major role in the 2016 season.

• Like Like x 2
  10. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

No we are to assume they still want to have a good time at other schools.

11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

In the continuing saga of silent hope versus reality, the Dallas Morning News is reporting a commit for both OU and TCU. As I've said earlier, it's not so much who but instead that these players are not waiting.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

DJax' announcement time is set

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Which day? NSD or before? I hope its before.

14. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The way I read that tweet above, it says 8 am central time on NSD, on ESPNU.

15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^Incredible. Now I see it, but only after you broke the "twitter code."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

"Silent commits"? Can be good or devastating. Positions in need held for a silent promise from an 18 year old, with a big ego, who gets swept off their feet at the last minute by another team. Or worse, kids hedging with a promise in hand against the offer they want most. If the players bail, other players at that position who were passed over are now gone, so what do you do? JUCO or non-recruited players?

Mack appeared to take those willing to commit early and I was critical because I did not think he was doing the heavy lifting of reviewing the merit of the rankings. But he knew better.

Until he gets the program winning again, perhaps Charlie should couple the Mack approach with finding players who have been overlooked with a lot of upside potential, starting with a combination of high athletic ability and attitude. That requires a lot of contact with high school coaches and review of a lot of players.

Betting your job on soft commitments by these young, confused egos is scary. I hope he gets it done, because if not, the shelves are going to have some bare places. I wish I could suit up and lend a hand. (I WAS able to get down in a three point stance the other day. But getting out if it was quite time consuming.)

I will remain positive, with Charlie getting it done, at this time.

• Like Like x 7
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

LOL^^^ Now that is some good stuff.

18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah: I've heard the role of Nose Tackle is to be a speed bump in the middle of the defense. I'd volunteer, except I think they want the speed bump to be standing up, which I can't do after I've been hit by a Notre Dame OL.

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd classify it more as a six-foot pile of tar. It doesn't move and anyone who tries to push it away just gets their hands stuck in it and can't move.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Do I dare ask what you were doing in the three point stance?

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

This thread is fine without pics

• Like Like x 4
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is a quote from Higs on Mark Jackson--

Q -- " ....... Mark Jackson?"
    A -- "I can tell you where hes not going, A&M"

Interesting since after his recent visit there, he said some very pro-aggy stuff - "still committed" and all that

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

If he's "still committed" to aggy after seeing UT, then he should "be committed!"

• Like Like x 3
  25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Guys, we are going to have to wait till Saturday before commitments start rolling in. I guess this was a bad week to stop sniffing glue.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  26. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Damn, another tweet picture code to decipher. I think it says "UT will do just fine" although the maple leaf has me confused. Maybe a silent Canuck is in the fold.

• Like Like x 2
  27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, the gist of what it says is, "the recruits UT is getting to sign you won't believe and I will post a list of the silent commits on my web site. To see the list please send $9.95 to my account and you can see the full list starting at 7AM on February 4th."

• Like Like x 4
  28. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We get'n errbody, thats my hip interpretation.

• Like Like x 3
  29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

we did well last year, but not as awesome as we hoped around the end of january. i expect the same. we'll rank #10-#20, but be disappointed by a few we didn't snag.

30. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Hey, for the record, even at an advanced age at 6' 2" 215, I can still get in a very respectable 3 point stance... after that is VERY suspect :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016