Anyone ever been to Spain?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by smwhorn, Feb 23, 2006.

1. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

We're looking at going for a week this summer. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. blingbling

blingbling 25+ Posts

I was there 2 weeks last summer. What specific questions do you have? What are your main interests? I spent time in Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, and Barcelona - I can answer any questions about these cities.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

In before the Three Dog Night/Hoyt Axton references.

[​IMG]

4. DrunkenMic

DrunkenMic 25+ Posts

I'm in almost the same boat as BlingBling - spent two weeks there last summer in Sevilla, Cadiz, Granada, Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona. What exactly are you looking for?

5. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I prefer Portugal. Much fewer tourists, more rural, very nice. Excepting the Algarve, of course.

6. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

7. Santa Monica Horn

Santa Monica Horn < 25 Posts

8. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Uh...I'd be willin' to bet that a LOT of people have !?!

[​IMG]

...OU sucks...but Gibraltar Rocks!

9. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

Ibiza is fun if you want to hang around a bunch of 19 year-olds and start your party around midnight.

Sevilla is so sweet. Plan for several relaxing days there.

10. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

i spent a summer doing a spanish course in Malaga, on the Costa Del Sol. It was great - we traveled all around southern spain. On the coast, my two favorite places were Nerja, which is a small, quaint little beach town, and Marbella, which is a fancy yacht club town where a lot of rich and famous stay. Inland, Granada and Sevilla were two of my favorite places. You MUST see the Alhambra in Granada - one of the most amazing things I've seen.

11. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

I spent a few of weeks there a few years ago. Bar- thuh-lona was cool. Sevilla is gorgeous. Madrid - not worth much time. Granada was cool as well.

We also went to Algarve and did a side trip (by rental car/ferry) to Marrekesh and Fez in Morroco.

12. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I will only be able to be there for about 6 or 7 days. This does NOT include travel days (as in travel to and from Spain). I have been told to NOT try to do the barcelona/french coast and the costa del sol/malaga areas during the same trip.

Should I drive? I have driven numerous places, including Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Scotland, England and have never had a problem.

Are there trains or other form of public transportation?

Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate it very much.

13. blkshoes

blkshoes 100+ Posts

where are all the hot chicks? and the topless beaches?

14. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

You can definitely drive. I did through Spain, Portugal and Morrocco and had no problems (although Morocco was definitely much more difficult from the driving perspective). The roads and expressways are good in Spain. But if you are only going to one or two cities, then the train may be the better way to get from city to city.

I would do Barcelona over Costa del Sol, if you are doing only one. There is much more history, culture and soul in Barcelona - unless you are just looking for a beach. Barcelona has beaches (yes topless), but the costa del sol is much more a beach enviroment.

Where are flying into? What do you want out of the trip? History, relaxation, a little of both?

I would point you to Seville - but with that short of a trip, it is on the other side of the country.

You could do Seville, Granada, Cordoba and the Costa del Sol in a trip - all 4 are worth, but that may be packing too much into one trip of that length.

My favorite city was Barcelona.

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I enjoyed Barcelona. Gaudi's architecture is mind-blowing, particularly the cathedral. The gothic barrio is a lot of fun. Check out the Picasso Museum if you like his art and want to see a lot of things from his youth as well as the later years.

I didn't find the food very interesting. They emphasized pork and seafood, neither of which is a favorite of mine.

16. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

I also have to speak up for Madrid. That city is amazing. It has so many things to offer. The bull ring, the museums, and especially the ladies! I had it easy b/c I was staying with a local but it worth your time to check out this city. I know many people often rave more about Barcelona, but it was just too busy for me. I am sure I would have felt differently if I had stayed someone that was actually from there.

17. MusicCityHorn77

MusicCityHorn77 < 25 Posts

18. JohnnyBeamer

JohnnyBeamer 25+ Posts

Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville are the three "must-sees" although with a week it could be tough to give all their due. San Sebastian is nice...just watch out for the Basque separatists. Gugenheim in Bilbao is pretty cool too. Also, if you're there in July be sure to include a trip to San Fermin (Running of the Bulls) in Pamplona.

19. Hou-Tex Horn

Hou-Tex Horn 100+ Posts

I was there last year for two week's as well. In the following order I did...Barcelona, San Sebastian/Bilbao(Gugenheim), Marbella, Bunol and Ibiza. All were great, but If I were to go back I would probably only do Marbella and take a day trip to Morocco (I like history, but sometimes seeing everything seems more like a chore on a vacation, I prefer relaxing on the beach). I kick myself for not stepping foot into Africa when I had the chance.

If you wondering why Bunol is on the list, check out ...The Link

If you want any hotel or more detailed info, let me know.

20. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

Toledo is another excellent place to visit for a day trip... about an hour bus ride from madrid.... one of the oldest cities in Europe

21. longhornfaithful

longhornfaithful 25+ Posts

My favorites were Barcelona, San Sebastion (for the bulls), Seville, Granada, and Toledo in that order. Great people and always a fun time. Try to hit San Fermin if you can. It is so much more than the bulls. Bacelona is just outstanding. Seville was very, very cool as well. There is also that college town, Salamanca I think, that is supposedly a very good time. Pick your battles with that kind of timeline. Make the most out of that amazing country.

22. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

Provo, Spain?

23. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

I was in madrid for a week couple of years ago for spring break. Did a day trip to Toledo..bus runs very often from madrid, and another day trip to sergovia. Theres also quite a bit to see in madrid..caught a game at Berbenue stadium which was very good. Helps a lot if you know spanish there..i had friends so i was fine for the most part but certain days when i went on my own, i had a few interesting incidents.

24. FanofBurntOrange

FanofBurntOrange 25+ Posts

I went to Pomplona in '03 for the festivities. Worth every penny. Rode the train. Most folks are pretty friendly. Tons of other tourists to get advice from. Spent time in San Sebastion after that and loved the tapas, the beach, and late night discos.

25. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

my friends all loved Pomplona, but i never got there.

My only experience was Barcelona, and it was pretty awesome. yes i was a college student partying from 12-5 am, but there was tons of other cool stuff.

Las Ramblas (the main street with varied street performers) is fun to walk up and down, Gaudi's architecture is mind-blowing. the Cathedral, Las Segradas Familias (i think, it means the sacred family), is well worth a few hours as it's been built over a few hundred years and may actually never get finished. he did some hotels too that are very distinct.
    There is the pier section, and there is an old military fort up on a hill overlooking the city. I spent half a day there with a fantastic view of the city and the water, and had a budweiser to boot!

26. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

I'm going by myself in April for 9 days. Starting in Barcelona, and we'll see what happens from there. I'll let you know how it turns out.

27. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

28. breakfast_taco

breakfast_taco 100+ Posts

Top 3 to see, as each is different from the others:
    - Madrid. Very cosmopolitan
    - Sevilla. "Old School" Spain with heavy Moorish influence.
    - Barcelona. Most like Northern Europe, but with unique Spanish style.

I hope you like pork, because that's about all they eat; which, for me, is a good thing. Go to a Museo de Jamon (Ham Museum); it's not a museum but a pork store with every type of sausage possible. Also, be prepared to have the best almonds, olives, and cheese you will every have.

Restaurants: Get the Fodor's book for the best recommendations in Spain. Go to "La Bola" in Madrid for a very traditional meal. Also, be sure to find a "Sherry" bar for late-sippings. Barcelona is known for it's excellent seafood. In the smaller cities/towns, if you eat at 10pm, then you are an "early bird", so have a snack at a bar around 5-6pm.

Driving. Outside of the big cities, it's not a problem. The drive from Sevilla to the coast is really pretty; like the Hill Country with bigger hills. Stop in the Pueblos Blancas towns.

Enjoy!

29. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Slightly off-topic: In Barcelona, I was amused to see billboard advertisements for some type of ham pitched by a spokesperson who was a . . . University of Colorado football player. In full uniform (except helmet).

No doubt it was a violation of NCAA rules, but you have to give the guy credit for finding a different way to make some extra $$$. It wasn't a model, either. I can't remember who it was at this point, but I recognized him at the time. Rashaan Salaam? Michael Westbrook? Kordell Stewart? I can't remember.

30. texfight2003

texfight2003 25+ Posts

A few years ago my wife and I went to Spain on business. We landed in Madrid and got in a little sightseeing, museums (most people don't realize Madrid is the art center of the world), Royal Palace, fine restaurants, etc. We drove to Badajoz in Extremedura and stayed in quaint Paradores along the way. When I drove to my host's plant , I swear the terrain looked like the Hill Country of Texas. We stayed in Toledo for three days and took side trips from there. The town of Merida has more Roman ruins than anywhere outside of Rome.
    We fell in love with Spain and went back two years ago and covered Andalucia from one end to another. Sevilla, Granada, Cordova, Marbella, etc., are what everyone says on this thread. We stayed in Ronda and a Paradore outsie Jerez. Back to Madrid and on to El Escorial, Segovia, Salamanca, Avila, etc. Back to Madrid for a couple of nights at the Palace Hotel before going home. We spent at least a month in Spain and didn't see enough. You really can't do it (Spain) justice in 7 days,
    so good luck. We are now planning our next trip to cover the North part ( Barcelona, the Pilgrims route, San Sebastion, Bilbao).
    So far, my favorites are Granada (the Alhambra), Cordova, Merida, Toledo, Sevilla, Salamanca, Segovia and Madrid. Haben Sie eine gut Fahrt!