Anyone going to the North Texas game in Denton on Nov 12?

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Texex81, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Texas does not look like a top 25 team. It indeed is going to be a long season.

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

LaShann needs to take more shots. Has Sug regressed? She wasn't as tenantive (and lost) last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LutherIsMyDog

Sadly, I agree with you. Now I'm glad this game wasn't more widely televised. We have a lot of work to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Thing is, it’s not like UNT is playing that great. They’re not shooting well and their rebounding is horrible. But we stilllllllll can’t get a great return offensively. Sooooo many TOs and a lack of any credible 3P threat is going to be such a challenge for us. Jada and Charlie are a nice touch and Higgs is great. But, overall...eek!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

The Big 12 is going to eat this team alive! They look totally uncoached!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

Why with so much Talent do we seem always seem like the team that is not well coached? We have more talent that 95 percent of teams but we never use the girls the right way. We get girls based off rankings rather than them actually fitting Aston’s scheme. She has to change up her coaching style, because our players never fit her scheme. We are just wasting talent at this point

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Jatarie and Jada both finished with double-doubles. Charlie missed a d-d by one point. Sug had 5 assists. They won by 10 points. The sky is not falling.

• Like Like x 3
  8. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Amen I have been saying that for year's. And it is obvious.

9. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Dang, the youngster's and a newcomer to the system's first road trip and y'all ready to fire Aston.
    I agree that Sug had a bad game. But, Brooke had a bad game here and there. So did Ariel. Will look for her to bounce back, along with Destiny. Geeeez!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Where did J.Mitchell the Coach of North Texas learn all of those's Offense set's from.
    Because Texas never have done none of those's play's.
    Am just saying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

it would be easier to answer as you did if we didn’t go through this every year lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LutherIsMyDog

Did LaShann pass 1000 points tonight? If so, congrats LaShann!

• Like Like x 3
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think she did - she was around 35 points away to start the season and has had back to back 20 pt games.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

She did!

15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Which youngsters (freshmen) did we have last year that got significant minutes in the first two games?

16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

No. I’m just disappointed because it’s painfully obvious AGAIN, that Coach Aston hasn’t improved as a coach. It’s not just the fact that they got out hustled but there was no adjustments at all. On offense it was the same old high ball screen and nothing different.

Defensively it was the same old man to man defense that the North Texas guards consistently got into the paint against. How about a damn Zone. Add to the fact that she failed to play one of the only offensive players that could create her own shot in Chaz when the defense stops this predictable offense. If you’re going to ask the players to improve then you sure as hell better be improving as a coach.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I understand everyone wanting a zone defense at times. But when the opponent has small guards that can shoot the 3's lights out? No.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LutherIsMyDog

Karen is certainly having a bad week on Hornfans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Last year we were upset because the Freshmen didn't get enough playing time. :e-face-tears:

• Like Like x 3
  20. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

North Texas never did prove they could hit the 3.
    Because we never went to a Zone.
    Texas Offensive and Defensive will have to improve if we are going to compete with the Top Program's. We get great Talent. But are we putting these's player's in a position to be Successful on their floor. KA has to grow as a Coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m sure she learned from one of her assistants. I’m sure that same assistant coach also taught her and the team how to set good, strong, solid screens. Which is also something Texas doesn’t do well when they actually do try to run a set play.

• Like Like x 1
  22. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The freshmen played well,they’re not the problem though. It’s the older perimeter players outside of Lashann. Sug, and Danni have to be more of scoring threats in order for this team to be successful offensively. I think Sug had 5 points, that’s not going to get it done. She has to have at least 10 a game. Unfortunately for her and Danni I just don’t think Coach Aston runs a good enough offense to help them. As someone said in a post earlier, it’s going to be a long year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I didn't see or listen to the game, but, wow --- what a depressing report.

24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I looked at the box score and saw that we didn't hit a single three. That's discouraging. Did I read right that Jada took 8 three's? I didn't remember her even being a three point shooter. We're waiting for Danni to get her shot back. I trust that it will come, looking at her stats over the years. Hope we don't have to wait too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure Jada did not even attempt one 3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Had to go check for myself, hoping she had not attempted so many threes. According to the stats tracker, at the final horn, Jada was 0-0 from 3 pt range. Whew! :

StatBroadcast Mobile Stats

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well last night was “overreaction Monday”. Typically reserved for Cowboy or Horns football losses. That’s part of the reason, I waited until today to comment. A few “fair and biased”comments: North Texas is better than I envisioned. They have several quick guards/forwards. Terrell Buckley is a nice player. I think she was a player for one of those Mansfield schools that I cant keep straight. She was not a surprise. Their quickness really outed our lack of it at the guard position. Higgs was the only one who could attack their guards. She was the best player on the floor for both teams. Sug and Littleton had poor games. Littleton hardly played as her lack of quickness was obvious. Backup point guard is still TBD. Williams is pressing. She will get better but the lack of a penetrating guard to free her up for open looks is concerning. We were 0 for 8 from BTA and most were forced. Underwood and Collier and White had good games but Collier is the only one of those 3 that showed any quickness. Our size was the saving grace as North Texas I am sure laments lack of size to match up. Higgs as the main point guard against better teams may be the best option. All is not lost. The Horns won by 10. Kudos to North Texas for a good game. Basketball is a game of matchups. Next game(s) different matchups will modify the dialogue. If I was a quick, penetrating, shooting point guard in high school there is a place for you next year. We can’t wait on 2020 for Andrews or other. Note that Rogers had 18 in a 41 point win last night for Bishop Lynch. Or hunt for a JUCO or graduate transfer. With Higgs gone next year it will be imperative to have help there. Our guard from NY will help but still need one more guard then.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Good points Flash. Thinking about our guard rotation next year without Lashann or Danni and only one incoming guard (who is not a point guard) committed kept me awake last night. I find myself hoping Texas still has a chance to sign E Rogers. As far as I know, we only have one reporter's word that Rogers has committed to the USC Trojans and the Trojans already have a large class for next year. Aston may have to scour the globe to find another guard or two for next year. Although not shooting well, Danni has made some nice heads-up plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We may have won by 10, but in the closing minutes of the game it was very close (like one and two possessions close). UNT attacked our over-playing man defense and created some open looks that they didn't hit. I hate to say this, but that was a very winnable game for UNT. That's inexcusable! We escaped a big one.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

@kurupt Profound statement!