Anyone recommend a good smoking book?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Bayerithe, May 20, 2013.

1. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Hey guys, we're going to be buying our first smoker this week. Need to show these clueless Chicago people what real BBQ tastes like. We're going to get a 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain. Thought about the 22.5" but didn't want to burn through as much charcoal and i don't foresee us being able to afford buying enough meat to fill a 22.5" weber.

Can anyone recommend a good smoking book, that has a good compilation of recipes, methods, what wood chunks to use, etc? I know there are tons of sites out there (like virtualweberbullet, or Hornian's rib method [​IMG]), but it'd be nice to have something in a book as well. (can always print stuff out and throw it inside the book as well). The wife prefers something like a book anyway to have at her fingertips.

Thanks!

2. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I recently re-opened my Steven Raichlen BBQ Bible, and was thinking of checking out Smoke by Jamie Purviance. Smoke is part of a series of books written for Weber, and work very well with the Bullet. I also like Webers Way to Grill

3. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I've owned the 18.5 Smokey Mountain for 6 years and love it, but do yourself a favor and get the 22" version. I didn't have the choice when I bought mine, but I wish I had it instead.

Also, Hornian's recipe is nails

4. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

thought about the 22.5 version but i didn't have the money right now and use of fuel would be more economical and I really can't afford the amount of food that would need to fit in a 22.5 weber. [​IMG]

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

pm Hornian if he still checks them and send him a case of beer. or a call girl.

6. immtex

immtex 100+ Posts

Using charcoal briquettes will be your first mistake. Use wood and/or lump charcoal. Buy yourself a starter chimney, they're cheap.

Starter fluid and briquettes will never see the inside of my fire box!