AP #16 - behind DePaul?

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Dec 31, 2007.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The only other decent team DePaul has played was FSU and they are no longer ranked... so why exactly did we stay behind DePaul after beating them by 10 on a neutral court?

Not that I care about rankings at this stage of the season, but it just seems odd.

I do recall, however, a few posts early in the season suggesting that UT wouldn't be in the top 25 come December.... Happy New Year, folks!... man oh man this is going to be fun! [​IMG]

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

The Link

8 Oklahoma
    9 Baylor
    13 Texas A&M
    16 Texas
    23 Colorado
    24 Oklahoma State
    26 Texas Tech

Yes, DePaul is 15, but I guess that is because they have only one loss, while we have two (almost three considering last night). I think 16 is great for our team right now. Going into conference, we are going to be a force. Mark my words, we are upsetting OU, Baylor, or A&M. Our team is only getting better. All these little things, including last night's scare, are going to make this team stronger and ready for conference and tournament play.

Go Lady 'Horns! [​IMG]

3. chicagovol2

chicagovol2 25+ Posts

before the season started i felt the horns were top 20 because of the players and coaches. i even mentioned that it would not surprise me if they broke into the top 10 by the time of the NCAAs.

Pollspeak notes that some AP poll votes not updated

Additionally, I checked to see how voters placed teams at the AP site. Clicking on "POLL VOTES" to the right of the newsperson's name brings up that persons believed order of a teams rank and week#.

AP Women's representatives, their respective Newpaper, the week last participated(?), their ranking order, last week voted

i believe some of the poll rankers haven't updated their ordering in awhile for whatever reason (submitted the same ranking order each week). Maybe they are away for the holiday, at least one has been seriously ill.

I notice some rankers have maintained the same order for weeks, regardless of teams winning or losing. i truly hope its not a case of "...its womens basketball for cryin' out loud".

4. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

DIDDO to everyone's post. I keep telling my friends that we'll probably split with Baylor, OU and A&M. The ladies were running so last night I thought there is no way the Paris sisters will be able to hang. I can't wait to see who GG puts on Daneille Robertson(sp?). That girl can flat out play.

I'm so excited about this season I pulled out my schedule to see if I could squeeze one more trip to Austin into my schedule.

I'm still waiting on them to give Raven Big 12 player of the week. Waiting very patiently.

5. chicagovol2

chicagovol2 25+ Posts

i wanted to see the game last night, but no matter what i tried, the link didn't work for me. i used firefox, iexplorer, neither cut the mustard. i was pissed cause i couldn't see the game and pissed because i signed up for an account just to see the game i couldn't see. [​IMG]

glad to hear you say they were runnin', runnin'...

the game was too close for me. way more excitement than i really like. glad in a way that i couldn't see the game.

6. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

I can understand not being ranked until we actually had a victory of some consequence, but I am curious about those that still have us unranked. Of the four:

Vicki Friedman hasn't voted since week four. (Perhaps there's a good reason, or if not perhaps she should be replaced by someone who cares?).

Vic Dorr, from Richmond. Texas unranked, but DePaul at #10. Voted Tennessee ahead of Stanford. Voted A&M above George Washington. Has Wyoming at #19 and Colorado unranked. (Perhaps he should be replaced by someone who follows women's basketball.)

Elliott Warnock, of Chapel Hill. Perhaps that speaks for itself. His rankings at least follow teams' win-loss record, and DePaul isn't ranked either. A little grudge against Texas, maybe?

Chris Shelton, from the Colorado Daily Camera.

Most of the voters from Big 12 country put Texas between 14 and 20, except for Michelle Voepel for Kansas City Star and the Norman OK writer both ranked Tx at #24.

7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Happy New Year, Tom. NEW Year...NEW Season...new posts...maybe?

8. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

My point, Wingo, was not so much that we are underrated. I think, given our record this year that a ranking in the upper teens seems pretty fair. I'm eager to see how we play against OU, A&M, Baylor, and others ranked above us, but our rankings should be contingent on the outcomes of those contests. My point was that there seem to be two primary reasons for those AP voters who have not ranked Texas at all: either they are not paying attention (they don't vote or their votes are completely inconsistent with overall win-loss records of women's basketball in general) or they have an anti-Texas bias. And one curious thing I've noticed about people whose perspective of the world is colored by their own personal biases is that they very seldom are aware they even have a bias, as they consider their bias an obvious truth. Sound familiar? Anyway, as WCBBNUT said, Happy NEW Year, Happy NEW Season.

9. chicagovol2

chicagovol2 25+ Posts

Last season I wrote a pollster complaining about their choice and why i felt they had an obligation to justify or remediate their choice. Did I get an answer? Heck no, but I didn't stop there. I wrote several other sports writers at that same newspaper and told them why I felt their co-worker was slacking or malicious towards women's college bb based on their selection. I went on to say that individual's selection was grossly improper to the point of making the newspaper look bad. I was probably a teeny weenie out of line...okay, way outta line. But hey, better choices appeared in subsequent weeks from that writer. They never were in line with my ranking but at least they were credible after that point. It actually looked like they gave a damn about that part of their job. I wrote and thanked them.

I guess what i'm saying is, I humbly suggest you write the pollster and or their newspaper. POLITELY make your case why you care and feel that are responsible to their job and to the sport. They represent journalism, sportswriters and their newspaper fer cryin' out loud!

something like that.

10. odumonarch

odumonarch < 25 Posts

Hello, I'm a longtime Old Dominion women's basketball fan. I always check this website to follow Texas and Coach G.

Just thought I'd give some info on a couple of the reporters listed above.

Vicki Friedman is from the Virginian Pilot newspaper (Norfolk, VA) and has been the ODU beat writer for over 10 years. She definately knows and cares about women's hoops. I don't know why she hasn't updated her polls in recent weeks.

Vic Dorr is from the Richmond Times Dispatch newspaper (Richmond, VA). He's covered women's basketball in the state of Virginia for over a decade. He's a great writer who somehow manages to cover the ACC (UVa, Va Tech), the A10 (Richmond), the Colonial (ODU, JMU, GMU, VCU, W&M), the Big South (Liberty, Radford), and even the MEAC (Hampton, Norfolk St). I don't know why he hasn't updated his poll either.

I don't know about Vic, but if you email Vicki she'll most likely respond. She's a great person who really cares about the sport. I'd ask her, but ODU doesn't have a home game until Jan 13 (I'm having withdrawls!).

Either way, these polls rarely makes sense. Colorado was ranked #25 last week by the AP, but only received 3 votes from the coaches. I don't know if Colorado really is a top 25 team or not, but there shouldn't be that big of a difference between the polls.

ODU head coach Wendy Larry has said that ODU will play at Texas next year. Texas will host a 3 or 4 team tournament with ODU, UT, and some other teams. ODU and Texas used to have a nice rivalry in the 1980's. I'd like to see that rivalry juiced back up. Wendy and Gail are good friends and ODU and Duke used to play each other.

Good luck and Hook 'em!

11. Pancho Negro

Pancho Negro 250+ Posts

by that logic, we will never be ranked below depaul ever again just because we beat them 1 time.

evar!

12. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 100+ Posts

13. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Rankings Shmankings....
    I guess I am not caring all that much about where we are ranked.....
    It is all political BS in my book......

What I care about is our results, and how this team seems to be having FUN this year....

It is all about the students, and they probably don't care that much about rankings either.....

They look happy, are excited, and that is a "#1 ranking" in my book any day....

Besides, remember when we were "under the radar" for a whole season, and then jumped out of hiding to go to the Final Four??

I'll be ready for that scenario next
    season when Erika is back, the newbies are super sharp, and our Seniors are ready to go out as National Champions!!!

[​IMG]

14. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

You're right, Cam. I don't know my North Carolina geography. When I visited several years ago, I recall that the three main NC universities were within the same metropolitan area, about 20 miles + or - from each other. And your explanation makes sense.

And I agree, BBV. It's great to see the players having fun this year. I don't really care where they are ranked as long as they are having fun and enjoying playing together as a team. It will only get better.

15. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I am, indeed, happy with our current ranking and was just wondering out loud why DePaul would still be ranked higher.

That said, if going to the Final Four in 2003 equals 15 years of underachievement, then 16 of the 25 teams listed should not be included as well. 17 if you want to include Rutgers who has been there only once in the last five years as well.

Students graduate each year and coaches come and go. The rankings are based on the current team for the current season. No big deal, Tom, I'm just happy to be here.

17. VinceYoungScores

VinceYoungScores 100+ Posts

18. mulkeyway

mulkeyway 25+ Posts

Depaul lost to Tennessee by 40 last night. I think Texas should definitely be ranked higher than Depaul.

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts