AP Preseason Poll

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by I_Dont_Exist, Aug 21, 2010.

1. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

2. futbolfan

futbolfan 25+ Posts

I am a little surprised to see Texas ranked that highly. I would have thought around 10-12. The loss of McCoy and Shipley leave big shoes to fill. No doubt the defense will be really good but will it be enough to offset an offense that will spend the early part of the season trying to come together.

That said, it should be an exciting football season because every team has these questions in one area or another.

3. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Well, we all know what value the preseason polls bring.
    [​IMG]

4. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

I am more surprised to see Florida at number 4; who are these people?

5. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

So your surprised by Texas at 5, but do not mention OU at 7.
    Us losing Shipley & McCoy is huge, but you losing multiple 1st round picks is no problem I guess.
    Interesting.

6. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

remember the last time Texas was ranked #5 with UCLA on teh schedule and questions at QB? [​IMG]

A lot has changed since then but losses can snowball too if the fanbase goes apeshite. Texas will lose a few this year and still end up in the top 20.

Expecting more than that given the losses to graduation/draft is too much expectation in my opinion. I hope they surprise me. Think about Colt's sophomore year. This team will be better than that but has a lot of similarity in my opinion too.

7. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

The only thing that matters about pre-season polls is that we are somewhere in the top 12. Being ranked #5 means, assuming we win our games, that we won't be shut out of the title game. Furthermore, we have a slim, outside chance of sneaking in with one loss.

If a team's pre-season rank is 20+, it can go undefeated and get screwed.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Our defense might be good enough to offset some inexperience on the O. I'm pretty excited about our chances this year.

9. futbolfan

futbolfan 25+ Posts

Geezer - Actually, in my opinion, OU and Texas are very similar in strength this year. I think they both should be in that 10 range. OU will have a better offense and Texas will have the edge in defense. I think the game will be similar to last years. A close game where it comes down to the 4th quarter. 1 great play in the end will determine the winner.

BTW, in all fairness, our top picks that went to the NFL didn't exactly have a big impact on the field last year. Only McCoy played every game and yes, he will be missed. Our DL will not be as good this year, which is why the scheme will have some more 3-4 in it this year.

Landry Jones had a really good year for a Freshman, who didn't expect to play. He also had some clunkers (see 5 ints at Nebraska). I expect GG will have a similar year, with some good and bad days.

10. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

If Texas' o-line plays as poorly as OU's did last year, then GG will have similar issues. I'm hopeful that Texas' o-line will play better than that, but only time will tell.

For the TX-OU game, I expect both defenses to dominate, similar to last year. 17 points is going to win that one.

11. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

fbf,

Fair enough

However, I've had the benefit of watching GG play more than you, and I can tell you he WILL NOT have the same year Landry had last year. Sorry, but he is much better than Landry. He is not immune to mistakes, but he took the best Bama had, and took us to within 3. He has already been in the pressure cooker.

That being said I look for Landry to improve this year, as well he should. And I agree the 10-2 game could be a close one like last year. This game more than any other is emotion driven, and a couple of bad bounces can turn the tide in a hurry.

If however our OL is improved, and as an objective Texas fan it will be hard NOT to improve over last years Cotton Bowl line play, OU will not be within 3 at the gun.

Let's hope both teams avoid the injury bug so we can have the game we are looking forward to.

12. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

So........everbody is cool with Boise State at #3? That's where they should be? Or is it just tiresome recognizing what a joke and a media jerkoff preseason polls are?

13. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

I don't know if BSU should be #3. But if they beat VTech on the road, I think it's fair to call the Broncos a top 7 team. And if BSU goes undefeated, they certainly deserve to play in a BCS bowl game.

14. futbolfan

futbolfan 25+ Posts

Geezer - I guess I just wear different colored glasses. I'm not sold on GG yet. In the big game, he was 15/40 for 186 yds with 4 ints and 2 touchdowns. Most of his passes/yds went to JS, who was the most dynamic player on your team last year. There is no JS on your team this year and you are still running back by committee. The UT offense has a bunch of questions to answer or their defense will be spending a lot of time on the field.

As for GG having a much better year than Landry, that might be a bit of a stretch. Landry threw for 3200 yds and 26 TDs to 14 ints and didn't get to play against Baylor . Considering the suspect offensive line OU had, those stats are pretty impressive. My early prediction for OU/UT is 17-6 OU, with a 4th qtr TD to open it up. It'll be a nail biter, just like last year.

15. hoopshookem

hoopshookem 100+ Posts

AP poll is meaningless. The only people who care about it are those who waste time to vote on it like the idiot Bohls.

That aside, Horns are looking at a great opportunity for another undefeated season. Let's get it on! [​IMG]

16. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

ftb,

GG will have his chance to show the comeback in Pasadena was no fluke soon enough. No amount of conversation now will change your mind.
    And I saw how Landry played a against a real defense in Dallas last year.
    I realize he ended up with some big numbers but those are just part of the story, who he made them against tells more.
    If you were questioning our ability to win based on the OL I would not be so quick to argue, but instead you seem to believe GG will not have progressed since you last saw him. That he will have learned nothing by facing last years toughest defense, and what could be this years best defense everyday in practice.
    GG had the Crison Tide plenty worried with just a few minutes left I can assure you. He will have another day.
    Sooners will learn he is exceptional this October like Bama did last January.

17. futbolfan

futbolfan 25+ Posts

OU and UT have had a great deal of success in the last decade with their QBs. I'm sure GG will be very good over his career. The benefit for Landry is that he had an entire year to gain experience. Nobody was happier than me when JS went to the NFL! It will be interesting to see what UT has for playmakers in the receiving category. I expect UT will run the ball a great deal and try to take the pressure off of the QB.

This last two weeks is going to be excruciating! Football can't get here fast enough.

18. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

19. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Is it really that inconceivable that some folks might not be as sold on GG as the majority of Hornfans seem to be?

20. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

BTW, I'm sold on GG. That doesn't mean with the amount of meaningful playing time GG has had to date that he won't struggle at times this year.

At TT
    RRS
    At Nebraska
    vs aggy

For goodness sakes Texas has to play ISU! (ask Nebraska)

All games taht GG will have potential struggles if not others.

21. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

22. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

I can go with Boise in the top 10 in a preseason poll, given the quality of the last few seasons, and their coach. But #3? I think there are more than 2 teams in the country that could beat them. But, the media will promote them whenever possible to build them up as giant killers and that all makes a great story. And I agree, that if they win a big game on the road early, they should get their props.

23. LTHORN

LTHORN 25+ Posts

Futbolfan,

Yes, you are looking at things with different colored glasses as we all do. Here is what I think happens in the RRR this year. We will stuff your running game once again and LJ will be running for his life. He did not show much mobility last year. OU scores between 7-13 points. Will that be enough to win ? I don't think so. Will Texas sputter on offense ? I do not expect to see a finished product, however, I do think we will run just enough to open up the pass. We wind up scoring 14-20 points and win because of our defense. For the forseeable future we win 4 out of the next 5 and Stoops will be gone. I hope he stays forever as the shine has definitely worn off. He scares no one in Orange any more. We now have the better coaching staff and I hope you have taken note of what's going on in recruiting. You have your opinion and I have mine. The series will be 60-40 in favor of the good guys by the time the game is over. That sounds pretty dominant to me.

24. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I don't have a problem with either UT or the paper clips being in the preseason top ten this year, because more than most seasons, I think this one's gonna be a crap shoot.

I'm not on the 'Bama bandwagon. They lost too much on defense and their offense is too one dimensional for them to be this dominant team they're picked to be.

tOSU? See me after they get by Iowa out in corn country, but I'm not convinced they can steamroll their way to a title.

Boise? Really? They might get into the big game because they really have only a two game season, Va Tech and Oregon State, and those two games are winnable. They have some athletes, but not enough to beat one of the big boys for the championship.

UT and okie both have holes, mostly on offense, and some question marks, and I agree that the shootout is going to be a typical nail-biter. I see it as one of three games the Horns could lose, and I expect them to lose one of those three games. I think this is a setup year for a real championship run next year for us, while Gilbert gets comfortable running the offense.

A thought for futbol...not saying you're wrong, because it's just too early for anybody to know anything, but...
    Gilbert has a lot more upside than Landry Jones. Jones picked up his game some at the end of the year, but I'm guessing Gilbert's going to be right on his game by the time we get together in the Cotton Bowl. Oh, and we have more weapons on offense than you want to believe.

25. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

No knock on the Bucks Shark, and yep, Madison's gonna be an interesting place for tOSU to visit this year. My point is, I don't see any team out there that is primed to be proclaimed the greatest of all time, ala USC before Vince got done with 'em. There are several very good ones that can win a championship, and tOSU's one of 'em. I just think this year's more a roll of the dice than most recent ones.

27. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

28. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

futbol isn't seeing it any different than most folks Not UT fans and he is probably being more realistic than ourselves while we hornfans are being optimistic.
    Based on facts, LJ has far more experience which makes the Sooners a better team and gives Landry and the sooners the edge right now IMO.
    GG has to prove it on the field and i believe he will in time but for the time being we are basing our estimates on GG from one game in which his stats look poor. He put it together for a short period in the NC game and we believe he will be all world. Not yet, he needs more reps.

Having said the above I would never in a million years trade GG for LJ as I believe like the rest of you that GG will be all world and sooner rather than later.....we are all hoping it begins with Rice. I personally think he will struggle with OU and Nebraska and we likely lose one or both of those games. We barely beat these guys last year with Colt and Shipley, expecting GG to beat them isn't fair. We all know Colt was better than Garrett is right now. Think about it.

29. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

30. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

You are right PhantomHorn. I thought Texas was in teh top ten and then had the furthest drop after route 66.

Here is the AP polling for Texas:
    The Link