Apple is Amazing

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Bevo Incognito, Apr 26, 2012.

1. 77horn

77horn 500+ Posts

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

My post was sarcasm to point out that the the Exxons are not the only companies to make huge dollar profits adn to conduct business all over the world to take advantage of better climates.
    Exxon paid more in USA raxes than Apple did but Exxon made less in profits.

I am a big fan of apple and that was not a knock on apple but to point out how hypocritical people are vis a vis Oil and Fas companies

some idiots still post that oil and gas companies get subsidies that must stop.
    so will those same idiots call for subsidies to apple or GE to stop?

3. 77horn

77horn 500+ Posts

6721, I new it was sarcasm...but the timing was just to good to pass up. But I suspect that the hypocrites on the left won't be pounding their cool iphone, ipads, etc demanding windfall profits taxes.

4. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

even more to the point, the technology sector makes a much higher PERCENTAGE of profit than big bad oil. That's why when lefties complain about Oil, you never hear them mention the percentage of profit (which is something around 10 to 12% if I am not mistaken. Technology companies like Apple make closer to 30 or even 40% profits.

5. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

6. Bronco

Bronco 500+ Posts

7. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

8. Bevo Incognito

Apple is where it is today because of the internet.

Ironically, the internet is an offshoot of the kind of government spending that I typically abhor.

Life isn't always neat and tidy.

9. Bevo Incognito

Consider this: If Apple had been added to the Dow in June 2009, the last time there were serious rumors that it would happen, the average would be about 2,500 points higher than it is today and well above its all-time high. Were Apple part of the Dow right now, the Dow would be at 15,360.

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

11. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

If you want to get a great insight about how the computer industry started, go get a copy of Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy.

It was written in 1984, but it's a GREAT view of how computers got to that point. It starts out at the AI lab at MIT and then moves on to SAIL at Stanford 10-15 years later...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Apple has $250 billion in cash. They could start their own army.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That would be kinda cool.

15. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

iForceTM

• Like Like x 2
  16. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think Apple already owns a few offshore islands where they hide all their cash from Uncle Sam. Maybe they'll evolve into their own corporate nation state, Applantis.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the split history -- AAPL has had 4 splits from 1987

1987 Two for One Stock Split
    Apple's first stock split occurred on June 16, 1987. On the day before, its stock price closed at $78.50 per share. Thereafter, Apple issued a two for one stock split, and shares of Apple opened at $41.50 on June 16, 1987.

2000 Two for One Stock Split
    Apple's second stock split occurred on June 21, 2000. The day before, Apple closed at $101.25 per share. Apple closed at $55.62 per share on June 21, 2000.

2005 Two for One Stock Split
    On Feb. 25, 2005, Apple closed at $88.99 per share. On Feb. 28, 2005, it issued another two for one stock split. On Feb. 28, 2005, Apple closed at $44.86 per share.

2014 Seven for One Stock Split
    Apple issued its fourth stock split – this time, a seven for one stock split – on June 9, 2014. Apple closed at $645.57 per share on June 6, 2014. On June 9, 2014, Apple closed at $93.70 per share.

The AAPL IPO was Dec. 12, 1980 at $22.
    From that price, including the spits, the ROI is over 26,000%

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We were lucky to get into AAPL in 2006 at $72. Today’s pre-split adjusted value is about $1,000. Wish I could have bought more at the time.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

As a wise old U.T. Finance professor once clarified: tax avoidance is good, tax evasion is not.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

my 2009 macbook still going strong! Had to upgrade the RAM a couple years ago ... but hey.
    updated software ... but otherwise original hardware.

I don't know many windows units from 2009 ... just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I have my old 2007 MacBook Pro on Craigslist now. I added an SSD and upgraded RAM a few years ago and it runs fine. Macs tend to hold their value pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

How would you cash that in? Is there some Bitcoin trading company that would give someone $193M for their electronic bits and bytes?

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Looks like AAPL will open today near $155 -- an all-time high

And BofA just boosted its price target to $180

• Like Like x 1
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Past year

aapl.jpg

27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

To lower the prices for food and clothing, we should cut the taxes even more for oil and gas.

28. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

A Democrat would say that Ronald is a victim of income disparity caused by a prejudiced society, and an unfair capitalist system that only benefits the rich.

• Like Like x 2
  29. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I wonder what Ronald bought with that $800. He probably tries to forget.

• Like Like x 1
  30. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

From the Hornfans Posting Guidelines:

Political commentary belongs on the West Mall forum, not on the sports forums or anywhere else.

Thank you.