Apples

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Dionysus, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We eat a lot of apples. I love them. My wife has been juicing them (add a little chia seed for extra fiber, omega-3 and energy boost), putting them in smoothies with other fruit, and today she made a huge batch of applesauce. O, that applesauce is fine.

She said we average about 60 pounds of apples every month. I need to find an apple wholesaler.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You really ought to make some Chia Pets out of that seed instead. Christmas is coming, after all.

3. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

What is your favorite one for just plain eating?

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I probably should know the varieties but I don’t. She usually gets the larger dark ones — red delicious, or something like that?

5. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

6. salonghorn-70

I like to eat the really sweet ones. Fugi and gala are my favorites. I do admit that any apple just picked from the tree sounds good.

7. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

salonghorn-70,

I like the sweet apples as well. A golden delicious straight off the tree is great. Just right on the sweetness and crunchy as well.

8. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

braeburns and honey crisps. actually whatever is on sale, because that is the one usually in season.

9. salonghorn-70

I just re-read the original post. Somehow I missed this the first time around. Sixty pounds of apples a month???
    My goodness, ya'll are going to turn into apples. [​IMG]

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

pink lady

12. salonghorn-70

I was wondering what ya'll think of the Texas apples?

13. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

15. salonghorn-70

I have not been to any of the Texas orchards. Also, I don't believe that I have ever seen a Texas apple in HEB.

16. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Honey Crisp is far and away my favorite but they have really jacked up the price on them of late.

17. salonghorn-70

This is the only post keeping this Board alive. I really regret that this Board is not as lively as it was a few years ago.

Honey crisp were over $2.00/lb at HEB over the weekend.

18. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Honey crisp and pink lady - by far my faves.

19. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Medina and Mason both host apple festivals and let me say they are great family outings. You get to eat a lot of apple products and the apples are from local orchards. Texas has a pretty large apple industry, you just don't hear much about it.

20. salonghorn-70

Where do these Texas apples go? As I said in an above post, I don't recall ever seeing them in HEB.

21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Texas does not grow a great apple crop. About 15 years ago it was blossoming, no pun intended, but has dropped off significantly because of the weather. Apple trees thrive in cooler and moist conditions so Texas is usually too hot and dry for a great crop. Most of the apples grown here are usually too small to be sold individually so they are sold in bags.

Regarding earlier posts about the rising retail of the Honeycrisp variety, and other varieties as well, this year is a bad season nationally because of weather problems so you'll see higher prices across the board. I'd say next year would be better, but the rising cost associated with farming, transportation, etc. in general will probably keep the prices high in the foreseeable future.

22. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

Sliced apples with fresh squeezed lime juice on them, stick in fridge for a few hours and they have an amazing flavor. Even better add just a few grains of coarse salt to an apple slice and it will make it sweeter.

23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I've always loved apple flavor, but I just can't eat raw apples. The texture on my teeth is just too much!

24. salonghorn-70