Applewhite to visit Scott

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by p_town_horn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Word is that Applewhite is set to visit Scott this weekend after he accepts the Texas job. If so I will consider Scott in the bag the moment the Major's plane lands in the state of California.

P.S. This may be on another Scott post but who the hell has time to read all of those to find out.

2. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

And your "Word is" is from where...?

3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

4. KS1866

KS1866 100+ Posts

5. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

Awesome, thanks. To be real honest I have mixed feelings about Scott. Don't get me wrong his talent is top notch but I take pride in the fact that we recruit exclusively in Texas (with exceptions). I give my brother in law (who graduated from OU) so much crap about them recruiting Texas talent, so I guess for the next 3-4 years I will have to bite my tongue.... Because I think you are right p_town, if the Major pays him a visit he is ours. JT

6. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Dude seriously? You know Ricky Williams was from CA also right? You know Major Applewhite is from LA, correct?

7. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

...and they were both recruited by Mackovic. Don't get me wrong, Major is my all time favorite, and Ricky... well he is Ricky. But I love the way Mac supports Texas HS football and takes pride in it. Did you forget Chris Sims? That was a nightmare. Like I said "with exceptions". JT

8. UTis2much

UTis2much 100+ Posts

How is landing Scott in the bag have anything to do with Major getting hired as the RB's coach? Was Major his idol growing up or something?

9. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

what a way for Major to make a splash in his first month. he could win over the Simms supporters if he closes Scott.

(i still believe Scott is cu bound)

Give'em hell Major!

10. JOSEYWALES66

JOSEYWALES66 100+ Posts

11. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

12. ISIPT

ISIPT < 25 Posts

Well Major met with Aundre Dean when he was at Bama, recently. I have a feeling Dean would get a offer(hasn't yet) if Scott doesn't come on board. Apparently Dean is coming to Texas sometime for a unofficial.
    Dean is good.

13. ngnichols

ngnichols 250+ Posts

14. LISD149

LISD149 100+ Posts

15. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

In reply to:

16. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

17. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

Does Darrell Scott even know who Major Applewhite is? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Major is a top notch recruiter, I just doubt that an 18 year old from California remembers a UT QB from when he was in middle school.

18. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

19. NRH_Horn

NRH_Horn 25+ Posts

I wouldn't be excited about having a new non-RB as the RB coach.

20. ken94che

ken94che 25+ Posts

The Major [​IMG]

21. SkeeterMark

SkeeterMark 25+ Posts

But wasn't Bucky Godbolt a wide receiver in college and was a running backs coach for how long?

22. orangeut

orangeut 100+ Posts

23. Nytejag

Nytejag 100+ Posts

NRH, just a stepping stone in becoming the head coach further down the road. He'll work his way up the ladder in the next 3-4 years to OC/playcaller, then head coach. IMHO, I see Mack retiring after about the next 6-7 years. I just can't see Mack hanging on like Paterno and Bowden.

24. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Scott probably did not grow up idolizing Major, true, but the boy has some serious abilities. If nothing else he should set his cahonez down on the table and sign Scott. Seriously though, I don't know Major personally and I don't know a damn thing about Scott but I refuse to believe that someone who goes from GA to OC in five years doesn't have some freakish abilities. If nothing else he can say, "look at me, I look like freakin Oppie Taylor and look at the numbers I put up, I can make you a star." Call it charisma or confidence or whatever you want Major will come back from CA with Scott in his pocket.

25. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

Helping close Scott would be a huge accomplishment and a very good beginning to Major's return.

Major has always had a flare for the dramatic comeback. I would love to see him do it again!

26. MinnesotaHorn

MinnesotaHorn 25+ Posts

In reply to:

27. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

Wow... You guys need to think before you type. By no means did I say that Chris Simms was a nightmare. I said the SITUATION was a nightmare. A lot of the hatred for him stemmed from him being from up North and his father being famous. He always put up better numbers than McCoy did this past year and the fans still like Colt. Why? Because he is from Texas. Why is everyone so angry..?

** Oh and Minnesota... I will have my secretary proof read all my post from now on. Will that make you feel better? Then maybe I wont leave out an "m".**

28. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

jesus christ. really? we're going down this path again?

[​IMG]

jthomen, some of our best players have come from out of state. under Mack, we've brought studdard, scaife, michael houston, lamarr houston and nolan brewster in from colorado, blaine irby from cali, ben alexander in from S. Carolina, aaron lewis from NM, lyle sendlein from AZ, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. while we don't heavily recruit guys outside texas, clearly we pick up one or two a year that Mack feels fits the system. if you were gonna have to eat crow with your brother in law for recruiting one out-of-state player, seems like you should have done that a long time ago. your argument doesn't carry much water here.

29. NRH_Horn

NRH_Horn 25+ Posts

NY, I was talking from D. Scott's perspective.

30. jthomen

jthomen 25+ Posts

Irish... Did you read the whole post? I clearly said that there are always EXCEPTIONS, but but generally Coach Brown focuses on TX. He reiterated this in his presser 2 days ago. All those guys you listed are great player but none of them were 5 star. We have just gotten burned in the past with OOS recruits. My whole point is... In my opinion, I prefer Texas recruits, therefor I am not all that excited about D. Scott. Not to say that he is not an amazing athlete or that he couldn't be an All-American.