Arch and The New World

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Apr 8, 2022.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

It’s somewhat of a downtime football wise and I am sitting at my desk frustrated over the whole work from home mentality we have adopted as the new norm, while our customers are frustrated over the plunge in service we now provide as once A level employees respond at their leisure. I digress, just explaining my foul mood.

Okay- back to Arch
    I hope he signs with UT. Read that again before you trash me.

But we are in a new world order. Look at the recent top level college QBs. (STOP… please don’t argue if they are top level- I am saying they were considered top level)
    Burrow, mayfield, Fields, Dillion Gabriel, Ewers, Rattler, JT Daniels.. off the top of my head.
    They all have one thing in common …..being transfers.
    So Arch signs & Card leaves and then if Arch starts Ewers leaves or if Ewers starts Arch leaves.and so do three 4 star FR and Soph’s.
    I don’t get excited as much when any team signs a 5 star QB. They all portal if they don’t start year 2 ..and if they do start year 2, the other 5 star leaves.
    So we have Card, Ewers, Jefferson and I doubt 2 of those three will be here to graduate.
    So the one elite QB gets hurt and Joe Schumatelli is now QB1.

And- look back at VY and Colt both were a starter for a couple of years before they moved from good to great.

I hate this portal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Took me a few minutes.

4. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

upload_2022-4-8_11-16-24.jpeg
    A tad more esoteric, perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I like the portal in the Dr.Pepper commercials.

Can you imagine the pressure Arch has to be feeling even though I know all the other Mannings have to be trying to keep him grounded and letting him enjoy being a kid

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Now mix in NIL and you have the inevitable evolution of College Football, Inc.
    We will still rah-rah for the old alma mater though because of course we will but let's be honest about the whole thing for a minute

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I know. Dam the NCAA for not reaching a compromise a few years ago. I’m afraid the Genie has got out of the bottle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Joe Schumatelli is going to win three Heismans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

But Ewers is a transfer?

10. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I know, MisnTx my the point I was making in that manifesto is that a 5 star QB isn’t what it used to be across college football.
    They leave or they cause other good recruits ( Fields, Jaylon Heard, Burrows , Russell Wilson etc to go elsewhere.
    Arch could result in Card and Jeffersonto go and then himself exit if he can’t replace Ewers.. assuming Ewers stays if Card starts.
    I do hope every Arch type QB comes to UT, but that now comes at a cost.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This theory is why I think NIL deals will transform in a way to be more like a contract to the school over 4/5 years. If you leave you forfiet your NIL. They can still transfer if they want but they can't take the deal with them. Maybe they are already written that way but I don't think so.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Do you think anybody at tOSU is still paying Ewers a penny? I don't. Their problem is how much they paid to begin with.

I think NIL deals will transform too, but I suspect they will begin to look like back-loaded contracts so all the money doesn't go to some player who bails out after a year, or whose high school star rating fails to translate to his college career. The money will eventually go to players the paying fans want to follow, AND who have a college level track record to justify it. It just makes sense that Bijan should be worth a butt-load more NIL money than any unproven player, no matter how hyped.

But who knows? It's a crazy new world, and what makes sense to an old fart like me may not be worth anything these days,

13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Don't leave Murphy out of the picture.
    We have a stacked QB room and that's a good thing.
    There will be transfers.
    Hell, when Chris Simms signed just about every QB on campus left.
    (Adam Dunn did okay deciding to play baseball instead)
    But it was Simms signing that brought VY to the 40 acres.

I've seen Arch play in one game.
    I was underwhelmed.
    But it was one game and everyone seems to want him so what do I know.
    I don't think he will step on campus and immediately unseat the starting QB.(Ewers, Card, Murphy)
    If Ewers is all that then Arch isn't going to start until his junior year. (redshirt sophomore?)
    Hopefully Card or Murphy, if not the starter, will have the Shane Buechele attitude and hang around until transferring as a grad student.
    And more highly rated QBs will be following Arch. (if he signs here)

We have three QBs on campus all rated 4 stars and above.
    With another 5 star posibly on the way.
    These are good times in the QB room.
    There will be attrition.
    I just hope Sark makes the right decision when it comes to who starts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Not since VY have we had generational talent at QB with Ewers and possibly Manning later as heir apparent. Murphy will no doubt also be great when healed and ready.
    Now if only we had generational talent at LB and Edge.
    As someone who has followed recruiting all my life, the QB room is now where we need to be. If some guys leave, they obviously got beat out and belong where they can play.

15. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Question: With the new world of NIL do these kids now have agents or some sort of legal representation?

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I believe he got the deal to sign the LOI whether he was paid up front or if they are still paying. Either way I'm pretty sure he got or is getting his money. I can't believe these smart CEO's didn't think about the possibility of a portal and putting loopholes in payments for departure.

17. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Well, there was Colt. He was 'ok'. There was that championship game... /sarcasm turned on since I haven't posted in a bit.

Ewers was so good last year that he sat all year at Ohio State (they won 11 games without him if I remember correctly).

My bar for this team is so low. I'm not going to break out of this cocoon until they win 7. Confidence is medium.

18. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Colt getting hurt in that game marked the beginning of the end of Mack’s successful run.
    That being said, Ewers was also born a Horn and I am glad we got him back. It is not a fair observation to say he should have started as a high 16 year old school junior from Southlake over another 19 year old 5 star QB who had been in the system over a full year before Quinn got to Ohio State. And he looked really good in the few games he appeared in last year.
    I am one to also temper the enthusiasm until positive results occur on the field this season. But we gotta be real. The guy is really exceptional in practice already.
    But in recruiting, we don’t label guys as “generational” for no reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

no offense to Quinn but he was supposed to be a high schooler. he was a boy among men...literally. i see no way to criticize his performance when he should have been playing against 15-18 year olds. and he still got some game time.

let's be reasonable with these guys.

• Agree Agree x 3