Are DLP tv's the way to go?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by LAktownhorn, Oct 10, 2007.

1. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

ok, someone said something about moving parts on the DLP, is that true?

Also, nobody's mentioned the side viewing angle advantages that DLP offers. Not important most of the time, but if you ever have large viewing parties, it suddenly becomes important.

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

No...dying technology!!

3. HorninCharleston

HorninCharleston < 25 Posts

Why anyone would spend this much money on a television set that you are going to have to replace expensive parts on every few years is beyond me. And buying a new television every 4 years is kind of crazy. For me, that means DLP is not a consideration, and the extra size in cabinet and weig,ht is just two more important reasons.

Anyway, I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at sets. Here are some facts about this experience: 1) No way the Best Buy retards who sell these things know what they are doing when setting them up. $3000 televisions shouldn't look like ****, and there were about a dozen sets that looked like total ****. So be careful. 2) I do think, however, it's good to go just to get your hands on them to appreciate what they will look like in your home. A picture on the internet and someone else's editorial are only worth so much.

It's really hard to choose between plasma and LCD for me. 50" is what I'm going for, and the difference between comparable quality sets is about $500-800 more for a LCD. The downside to a LCD over plasma, besides the price, has always been that the black levels were not very good on LCD. But I have to tell you, on these newer sets, the black levels were incredible and very nearly identical to the plasma sets. And the colors on LCD are better than plasma. It is subtle, but definitely true. Overall, the Sony and the Pioneer looked the best.

I like Sony over Samsung for sure. The Sony had better definition and color and overall picture. The blacks on the Samsung are very good, but the color is almost too vibrant. I would like to believe that you can dial that down and get a better picture, but I'm telling you, it's across the board on all the Samsung sets. The frame on the Samsung is way better than the Sony and just looks way more attractive. God, the new Sony models look really gay.

CNET has by far the best reviews on HDTVs. For some reason, they don't cover every model, and they have some deal with Sony, so I'm not sure you can trust their Sony reviews. Anyway, if you set your budget and screen size and don't go for a cheap brand, you will most likely love whatever you get and believe you are a total genius for figuring it all out! [​IMG]

4. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

5. HorninCharleston

Who wants to be replacing bulbs from time to time? Not to mention that your picture slowly dims and degrades over time. Who wants that?

If it all comes out even in the end after the money you spend on bulbs, I'd rather spend the money up front, get a better picture, and not have to change bulbs out.

6. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

Yes, all DLP's have moving parts. They use a micro mirror chip that have over a million mirrors that do nothing but flip to produce an image. If you are not looking at a LED DLP then they also have a color wheel that is spinning in it, with the non-LED DLP you will have some people complain about a rainbow effect that they see. So people see it some people don't. As far as viewing angles go, a LCD and a rear projection will both share the same type of viewing angles, meaning as you get off center it gradually loses some brightness to it and your blacks begin to wash. This is much better then old style rear projections but not as good as what you will get off of a plasma. As far as a replacment bulb goes most that I have seen are from 200-350 for a rear projection set, there may be some after market stuff but I haven't messed with that stuff at all. Each bulb should last about 4000 hours so say that is one bulb every 3-4 years. Replacing a bulb is really no big deal almost as easy as changing out a standard light bulb in your house. If Pioneer were making a 70" plasma panel that is what I would be purchasing, but since they do not, I will be purchasing my 2nd 70XBR in Jan. when the new model arrives, and with my extended warranty it will cover two replacement bulbs for me within 5 years for 200.00

7. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

8. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

9. HorninCharleston

But they are more expensive than earlier DLPs, which reduces their advantage over other HDTVs, and they are still larger and heavier than LCD or Plasma. Right?

Anyway, like I said, whatever you end up purchasing, I'm sure you feel you made the right decision and love your new set.

10. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

You can visit The Link to see a price list for bulbs for all DLP manufacturers. The Samsung models are in the $159-189 range, and the most expensive I see are a couple Mitsubishis for $299. The bulbs are extremely easy to replace, so that isn't an issue. If the bulb thing really bothers you though, then just spend a little extra to get one of the new Samsungs with an LED lamp (something that Sony doesn't even offer). The LED models will last a lot longer, and they are still priced cheaper than an equivalent-sized LCD or plasma.

11. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

12. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

13. ghost

ghost 500+ Posts

CNET does have good reviews on HDTV's but AVS Forums is probably the premiere place to go for anything audio/visual.

I did a lot of research when I was looking into a new tv and I went with a DLP. I absolutely love it!! I got a Toshiba 52hm95 and have ZERO complaints.

One of my bulbs did bust not even a year into ownership, but I got the 4 year warranty at Best Buy for that very purpose. I figured at least one bulb would go out/break in that time period so it would be worth it to get it. My warranty has almost paid for itself with this first replacement.

It was a total fluke thing because we didn't even have 2000 hrs of tv usage. Typically, one bulb can get you like 10,000 hrs if I remember correctly.

14. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Just a heads up, you don't have to buy the extended warranty from the store you buy the tv from. There are 3rd party warranty providers that offer warranty plans usually much cheaper and with better coverage than the usual Best Buy types. Go to avsforum.com and search for the "extended warranty" thread. Getting an extended warranty is a must with any of the new tv's today, not just DLP.

15. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

I was excited at the news I'd be seeing a game on a 1080p Sammy DLP. After the experience, I have to say that LCDs and Plasmas kick the crap out of DLPs. Everyone talks blacks, blacks, blacks, but after the experience, I have to say there is more to a picture than perfectly dark blacks. DLPs simply do not have that HDTV pop, that LCDs and plasmas have. Definitely not the "liquid" picture that large LCDs have. Large LCDs simply look better than everything. But, right now for the price, DLPs will get you the biggest set for the buck, and they look damn good. But if that price gap is shrinking quickly. Black Friday this year should be pretty interesting in that regard.

16. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

^^^ I'm not sure what to make of this post. I personally think that DLP ranks ahead of LCD and plasma as far as PQ is concerned. The price gap isn't exactly shrinking right now.

17. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

^^^I'm not sure what to make of this post. I personally think that Plasmas rank ahead of DLPs and LCD as far as picture quality is concerned. It's all in the shadow detail, this is why blacks are important.

Each person has their own preference, you have to make the decision what is best for you. And do tons of research.

18. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

wild-turkey you say you sold TVs for a living and you believe that DLP is the best picture out there. Come on what did you work at Best Buy or some other big box store. Anybdy in this industry that knows about TVs knows that Plasma and LCD are a much better picture then DLP rear projection. You made some good comments in your earlier post but that last one is way off base.

19. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

I like the DLP picture because it's closer to what you get in a movie theater. I watch a lot of movies, so this is important. In my opinion, the plasma is too bright and glossy, although it might be better for things like video games. I like my picture to have more of a natural look though. To each his own I guess.

20. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

21. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

22. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

i want my plasma calibrated now. i had no idea about such things.

23. radeonguy

radeonguy < 25 Posts

You guys missed out on the deal of the century:

Westinghouse 46" LCD 1080p

Best Buy had a deal going on them for $1100

By far the best deal of any HDTV. No, the picture quality is not as good as the top of the line Sharp/Samsung models, but who cares, this TV was a full $2000 less than those TVs.

24. Quagmire

Quagmire 100+ Posts

25. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

No not claiming to be a TV god at all. Just stating the facts that are out there. Once again a rear projection is a great bang for the buck like he said, but if you are after the best picture you will step up to a LCD or a plasma. Not my opinion but the opinion of the industry, pick up a trade mag or even go to cnet.com and you will find out the same thing.

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

27. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

sry. i have a phillips 42" plasma for the bedroom.

can dlp's be calibrated too, b/c that's what i have in the living room?

28. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Scottsins - give me the model number, I may be able to find the settings for you?

As far as DLP, I would assume it can be calibrated but I have never researched DLPs because I never considered buying one.

29. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Any TV can be calibrated. Its worth it too. Most calibrators prefer DLPs because for whatever reason, they have more options in the service menu (and thus, the calibrator can get away with charging more [​IMG] )

You cannot possibly say one TV technology has a better picture than another as a matter of fact. Thats just stupid and totally wrong. Everyone has different eyes that prefer different things. I don't know what "people" you are talking about hlaustin, but you can head over to avsforum and tell those guys that Plasma's/LCD's provide a better picture end of story and see what they say.

If its your OPINION that LCDs and Plasma's have a better picture, fine, but don't pass it off as fact b/c thats not right (nor fair).

30. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts